Elvas Tower: "Building" Water - Elvas Tower

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Building" Water Tips for making creek or river beds and using the water feature Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   SVRy_Steve 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 23 January 2023 - 05:23 PM

When you paint on a tile, it saves it with a new name (coordinates of tile) and it is uncompressed and much larger! You can re-compress them with AceIt or I believe RouteRiter will compress all of them.

On The Green Creek & Defiance I've used over 100 4096x4096 terrtex and most the rest are 2048x2048. I've painted all over and it now takes over 4 minutes to load in either TSRE or OR. It is really a very small route, maybe covering 20 square miles at most. I've pushed just about everything to the limit.

#12 User is offline   Hendrik 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 January 2023 - 05:24 PM

View Poststeved, on 23 January 2023 - 02:30 PM, said:

Hank,
The ground in OR/TSRE is pretty coarse. The best way I've found is by turning on the Terrain Grid under the view tab.
Then it's one click at a time.
Attachment height.jpg

Randy

I see, it explains the chainsaw pattern I have now. Thanks for the tip!
Hank

#13 User is offline   Hendrik 

• Fireman

Posted 23 January 2023 - 05:29 PM

Great idea to use track to flatten the creek bed. I was wondering if flattening the creekbed would help smoothen out the transitions in elevation. I’ll give that a try. Thanks, Hank

#14 User is offline   Hendrik 

• Fireman

Posted 23 January 2023 - 06:32 PM

View PostSVRy_Steve, on 23 January 2023 - 03:08 PM, said:

I'm kind of a scenery nut and posted a tutorial on painting a stream. It starts about half way down the page.

Lately I've been experimenting with moving water with good success on wider streams/rivers, but the coarse terrain mesh makes small streams iffy.

Working with the terrain mesh visible, try to work with it rather than cross grain, where you can.

Just spent an hour browsing though the treads. Fantastic scenery you made and many good tips and info along the way. The moving water has some great examples of working with the grid. Thanks! Hank

#15 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 23 January 2023 - 10:35 PM

View Postcharland, on 23 January 2023 - 05:20 PM, said:

Hi Chris,

You could, but this was 16 miles painted out of a route that will be around 150 miles. That would be enormous, I don't know if any online file host would want that on their server.

Paul :-)

There are several places where cloud storage of several gig are free. There may be restrictions on the size of any one file that are less that the total storage available; all things considered it's not much of an imposition to put \tiles and \textures into their own archive. They're most likely the largest anyway.

#16 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 24 January 2023 - 08:24 AM

View Postcharland, on 23 January 2023 - 04:46 PM, said:

I just spent the last two weeks replacing all the tiles that were painted and then replacing all of what I painted with those nasty transfers.

Oh, I am so sorry. I really hate those nasty transfers. Do you have a backup of the route with your painting you completed intact?
I'd be happy to host any routes on my website. I just don't have a registration system or anything like that in place.

#17 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 24 January 2023 - 09:09 AM

Paul, archivator programs can make self-extracting multi-volume archives: You just specify the size of single volume, and it slices packed data into pieces.
One of that pieces have *.exe extension, so end-user just have to download all parts, place them together and run program, which contains first part of archive.
Then it'll automatically unpack all parts one by one in proper sequence and build whole data, similar to original one.

Hank.
Yes, mesh of terrain has very sparse cells, but automatically, TSRE can smooth it visually. Not by hand editing. That's why many authors use berms, made as an *.s-model, but not by terraforming.
To flatten something, You can use FixedHeight mode of TSRE. For making smooth hills - make curve, as on maps, of dynamic track, then shooth it across future slope, altering it's height, and pulling ground to track on every stop, as was said before (action, looking like brushing hair)

Also, You can open tile *.raw-file in graphic editor (it'll appear as a square image in grayscale) and paint relief, then save. This means 256-step gradation of height.

#18 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 24 January 2023 - 09:30 AM

I did back the route up before removing and replacing the painted tiles. This is just the first 20 miles of the route that was painted, still backdating the Halifax Sub, building the Weston Branch, and adding about 40 miles of the Truro Sub.

If 20 miles of painting is close to a Gig for terrtex, then when the 150 miles is completed that would be around 7 GBs without any winter terrtex. The program will not accept the single snow terrtex to be used for the entire route and wants me to create a snow terrtex for each of the painted times (over 1200 of them in the first 20 miles). I did try a few about two years ago, just the same terrtex file used on a few of the painted tiles. They show are grey on the painted tiles and not the white that is on the unpainted tiles. Also back when I was working on the route in TSRE I posted a screen shot showing that every tile I painted has a grey edge around them. Guku was still active in the TSRE thread but never replied. I was told by others "just to live with it".

Paul :-)

#19 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 24 January 2023 - 09:59 AM

I've used Google photo terrtex for a couple of my routes, and 200 miles comes out to around 11 gigs just for the terrtex. Entirely worth it.

For distributing the route, I've broken it up into a zip with just the terrtex and then a zip that has all the other files.

That way, the terrtex is a one-time download, and the patches are released using just the non-terrtex files.

My files are hosted in my storefront by Gumroad, and they haven't complained about the 11 gig download.

#20 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2023 - 10:05 AM

Brush tip with size 1 never gives so smooth edges as 3 and greater.
However, 3 is pretty large size, so You should work accurately, and sometimes correct edges with another pass of brush with opposite action (lift back edges of lowered ground, or lower again edges of lifted areas for better fitting map's contour.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users