• You cannot reply to this topic

The future of Open Rails A wish list for v1.6 Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#31 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 28 December 2022 - 11:02 AM

Hello

If you want to develop track construction software, talk to people who have seen railway construction. Those who know how to enter the copper slope. Which in TSRE only works well if the railway is parallel to the ground. If you're already closing a corner, it's not good. It cannot be adjusted because it is unpredictable. Then comes notch modeling.
Why should you start with a clean slate? Wouldn't it be easier and more efficient to fix obvious mistakes?

Sincerely, Laci1959

#32 User is offline   Looky1173 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 December 2022 - 11:18 AM

View PostLaci1959, on 28 December 2022 - 11:02 AM, said:

Hello

If you want to develop track construction software, talk to people who have seen railway construction. Those who know how to enter the copper slope. Which in TSRE only works well if the railway is parallel to the ground. If you're already closing a corner, it's not good. It cannot be adjusted because it is unpredictable. Then comes notch modeling.
Why should you start with a clean slate? Wouldn't it be easier and more efficient to fix obvious mistakes?

Sincerely, Laci1959

Hi Laci, I assume this is directed at me. Currently, I'm not developing a replacement to TSRE5 but a tool to convert .s files to glTF. I also plan to build a new consist editor in the future around a new consist file format. I think in the case of TSRE it would be easier to start from scratch.

By the way, for translation, you can use DeepL. It works way better than Google Translate (especially for Hungarian to English) and you can even click on words in the translation and DeepL will propose alternatives.

#33 User is offline   KS44 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher

Posted 28 December 2022 - 11:26 AM

Hi!

Echoing Marci's thoughts, the possibility of access to an infinite variety of electrical selector switches was not a bad thing, in addition to the possibility of remedying the braking system problems used by Open Rails as soon as possible. I think that integrating these two things into a final weekly and then stable version would be another milestone in the development and shaping of the game so far.

Going back to the brakes thing, I think it would be important to consider (if we are thinking globally to attract and engage the widest possible audience) if we were to divide the continents (for example: West-, Central- and East-Europe) and apply parameters to those regions. This is why it would be important to involve members/people who are familiar with the regions in question - people who understand the subject of the blue - in order to be as realistic as possible.

In the thread linked by Weter, there are indeed positive needs and suggestions for improvement, which are worth thinking about and building on. Perhaps darwins's magnetic rail brakes are not used in any other form of rail transport outside the Maglet.

Sincerely, KS44

#34 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 28 December 2022 - 11:38 AM

View PostWeter, on 28 December 2022 - 11:05 AM, said:

Copper slope is wrong translation.
Berms?

https://kephost.net/p/2022/52/6527_7dae514dfe06.png

Sorry, I should have used the term Cutting.

#35 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 28 December 2022 - 12:02 PM

Welcome, KS44!
Magnetic-to-rail brakes are used on trams and some HSTrains, as Acela.
But everywhere it's a backup and / or emergency measure, rather usually-working brake.

#36 User is offline   KS44 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher

Posted 28 December 2022 - 01:06 PM

View PostWeter, on 28 December 2022 - 11:46 AM, said:

Magnetic-to-rail brakes are used on trams and some HSTrains, as Acela.

Nice to meet you Mr. Weter. I'm basically a silent observer, but I feel that in some cases it's worth speaking up and standing up for ideas and issues that make OR more enjoyable and playable.

Yes, otherwise, with a slightly better understanding of what you wrote, we can agree in part.

Magnetic rail brake is a braking mode. The magnetic track brakes are applied when all other brake pressures (electric and air) are exhausted - of course, this is not the case for all rail vehicles, only those with magnetic track brakes. This technology tends to cause significant damage (abrasion) to the rail crown during application, which is not exactly beneficial for other types of vehicle.

#37 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 28 December 2022 - 01:14 PM

Speaking of which. What about the eddy current brakes of passenger cars? The one that fooled the axle counters of the barriers on the Budapest-Esztergom line. I write axle counter because that's what I'm used to in the profession, but the name wheel counter is more accurate.

#38 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 28 December 2022 - 01:17 PM

Me too.
There is PM capability as well, if there are some private questions, or some hesitations for talking publically.
After all, in that exactly is the purpose of forums.

Don't know about HSTrains, but in trams it is ultimate measure if:
The human on rails
The wheels are skidding
The electricity in contact wire is interrupted (battery used for magnetizing brake magnets)
The control or power circuits of electrodynamic or electropneumatic brakes are failed
The regular mechanic brakes are greased or somehow damaged.
The safety pedal is loosen, when reverse handle is in Front or Reverce positions

#39 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 29 December 2022 - 12:31 AM

View PostLooky1173, on 28 December 2022 - 08:21 AM, said:

I will reach out to him then. Indeed, time is always ticking, and sometimes it goes very fast... but that's all the more why we should continuously strive to enjoy the moment and make the best of life. :-)

Hello

The development of TimeTable was discussed. At the moment, our big problem is the issue of fuel. It runs out of vehicles on the long journey and there is no possibility to refill. This mostly affects trains transported by steam locomotives. This is a big shortcoming, because the water runs out after 50 or 60 kilometers. Of course you can cheat like in MSTS. A private thread has already been created for this, but there is no programmer.

Sincerely, Laci1959

#40 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 29 December 2022 - 12:39 AM

Hello.

There are a few gaps to be resolved. Check out Trello cards. You will find plenty of work.
Can gITF support also correct shape errors? I suspect not. Then there are two choices. One is that I either throw it all away, or leave it as it is and that's it.
The job is not to convert to s format, but until I get there. If there is a texture ready for the model, I'll just throw it on. Then comes the fix. I tried to fix Mother Snow with the autoSmooth function. Some have succeeded and some have not. A new right leg should be made to make it look nice. Or I set it so that the error is not visible. I also struggled with the same thing with the switch guard (wachter) who gave the hand signal. The switch guard will function as an indicator if it succeeds. It occurs to me that this could also be a nice challenge. Signal animations currently do not support Idle_Key, Idle_Key2, Surprise_Key_Left, Surprise_Key_Right, Success_Scarper_Key animations. If they would support it, it would be possible to make a signal that works on a horn signal. Something that is really indicative because it is included in the sigcfg.dat file. There is a description of this, but it is not an indicator, so it does not affect the AI trains.

https://kephost.net/p/2022/52/514_06e1c93bb224.jpg
https://kephost.net/p/2022/52/3185_bd34852784b1.jpg

I stopped the relay guard giving the hand signal during animation.
https://kephost.net/p/2022/52/5332_7ca94f1bb0c1.png
https://kephost.net/p/2022/37/5108_8e43a4441157.png

Sincerely, Laci1959

Ps Models are from Cadnav.com.

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users