The future of Open Rails A wish list for v1.6 Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#71 User is offline   Lamplighter 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 January 2023 - 03:54 AM

View Postdarwins, on 22 January 2023 - 01:34 AM, said:

The short answer is YES.

My own view is that the general coding should cater for all widely used forms of traction equipment, then there should be the option for unique and unusual motive power to be created using scripts.

Major Traction Features Not Currently Supported in OR:

Steam - Alternative Fuels - coke, oil, wood etc. including more detailed manual firing models

I think this has OR support.
And that via the ORTSFuelCalorific parameter. If the fuel has a low calorific value, it will be consumed more and vice versa.

At least that's how I determine with my steam locomotives whether they are loaded with high-quality black coal, low-quality brown coal, or a mixture of both.

It will be similar for alternative fuels. Wood will be the worst for it.

#72 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 23 January 2023 - 04:13 AM

View PostLamplighter, on 23 January 2023 - 03:54 AM, said:

I think this has OR support.
And that via the ORTSFuelCalorific parameter. If the fuel has a low calorific value, it will be consumed more and vice versa.

At least that's how I determine with my steam locomotives whether they are loaded with high-quality black coal, low-quality brown coal, or a mixture of both.

It will be similar for alternative fuels. Wood will be the worst for it.

ORTSFuelCalorific - covers variations within coal, and gives us a good approximation for other solid fuels such as wood and coke. Oil burning is rather different, as a volatile fuel then response to increasing or decreasing oil flow gives an almost instant change in combustion rate and heat transfer from firebox to boiler.

#73 User is offline   Looky1173 

• Hostler

Posted 25 April 2023 - 11:11 AM

Greetings everyone.

Regrettably, August 31st is fast approaching, marking the shutdown of the UKTrainSim website. What does this mean for openrails.org? I've read somewhere that the OR website is hosted by UKTrainSim.

On a more positive note, I started coding a fresh "shape viewer" application for OR that will support .glTF besides SIMIS .s files. If all goes well, I might look into the feasibility of turning it into the beginnings of a new route editor. If that is to happen, however, the editor will only support reading and parsing SIMIS files, not writing ones, as the latter is rather difficult to work with and is not standard. Therefore, edits would be saved to new OR (= JSON) files.

#74 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 25 April 2023 - 12:27 PM

Hello.
Happy to hear You again.
Great, but I wonder: didn't You co-operate with toolbox guys?

#75 User is offline   Looky1173 

• Hostler

Posted 25 April 2023 - 12:38 PM

I intend to contact roeter about timetables but I don’t even have a working shape viewer yet, it’s very much a work in progress. For everyone, please feel free to contact me with proposals about the topic. :)

#76 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2023 - 01:26 PM

It sounds wise, as Robert have no any successors, while toolbox is a business at least of two: Barry and Kid.

#77 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 25 April 2023 - 06:24 PM

View PostLooky1173, on 25 April 2023 - 11:11 AM, said:

Regrettably, August 31st is fast approaching, marking the shutdown of the UKTrainSim website. What does this mean for openrails.org? I've read somewhere that the OR website is hosted by UKTrainSim.

It is most definitely still hosted by UKTrainsim, and the clock is ticking.

While I'm not involved in the discussions, I know there's been some desire to move the website over to GitHub.

Should that not be possible, the door is wide open to move it over to Trainsim.com if nobody else steps up. I'm on real good terms with the owner there...

#78 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2023 - 10:43 AM

View Posteolesen, on 25 April 2023 - 06:24 PM, said:

While I'm not involved in the discussions, I know there's been some desire to move the website over to GitHub.

Should that not be possible, the door is wide open to move it over to Trainsim.com if nobody else steps up. I'm on real good terms with the owner there...

Many thanks for the offer, but I am not expecting that we will need it.

A lot of preparatory work has been done and ORMT has taken over control of the domain openrails.org from UKTrainSim (who have been paying for it since the very beginning).

A new website is under test on Github Pages. It looks just like the current website but uses Jekyll rather than PHP, so is easier to maintain (thanks to Ryan Young for the conversion).

The last task is the "build and deployment system" that updates the website automatically when a pull request is merged and updates the files when a new version of Open Rails is published.

#79 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 26 April 2023 - 05:51 PM

Hope it goes well. We'll still be there for you if it doesn't work out.

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users