• Group: ET Owner
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 December 2022 - 02:44 AM

View PostSiebren, on 04 December 2022 - 03:06 AM, said:

I've tested some routes and took a look at the maps. My findings:
(...)
* OR_CPV (Portugal Algarve): unusable with/without correction
(...)

This one was creatd with MSTS RE in 2003.

I have a new route layed just this year with TSRE usings Darwins's new route tutorial on UKTS.

The route is called PT2030 and I have it in a private github repo along with other routes. Can you please provide a username so i can give you permission to access the repo?

#22 User is offline   Siebren 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:open rails

Posted 05 December 2022 - 03:17 AM

my github username is:

sweiland-openrails

#23 User is offline   Aldarion 

• Engineer
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2022 - 03:38 AM

Invitation sent.

#24 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 05 December 2022 - 10:10 AM

I tried it today, and it's useful for approximation purposes.

I'm seeing in Chicago that the cursor is between 4-10m to the West of where the location is on the route itself. I've built my routes using Google Maps as the Terrtex, so I was expecting a little more accuracy.

If anyone has the LS&I, I'd expect that to have some variance as well thanks to the projection being distorted above 45N.

I'll test that and one of my own routes later tonight.

#25 User is online   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 07 December 2022 - 11:54 AM

View Postcjakeman, on 04 December 2022 - 11:41 AM, said:

Working with Edinburgh, I tried using your proposed constants and also adding an offset to the Lat-Lon to position the train in the right platform at Waverley. I guess this is equivalent to your idea of dragging the loco icon to where the actual location is. Then, when the train travels westward, it very quickly deviates from the track on the map.

I've now tried adjusting the constants instead of adding an offset to the Lat-Lon to position the train in the right platform at Waverley, Edinburgh.

Travelling westward, the train deviates from the track on the map just as before.

It seems that a good solution will be more complicated than just setting a couple of constants - shame.

#26 User is offline   Siebren 

• Fireman

Posted 08 December 2022 - 02:14 AM

hi Aldarion,

thanks for sharing this Portugal route, I like Portugal.

I tested the map option with your CP2030 route. More puzzles... When I start your route in Santa Apolonia, the map and the compass shows Lat: 38,719480 and Lon: -8,591463. Which is not in Lisbon, but somewhere east near Canha, some 50 km's difference! However when I open the route in TSRE5 and via the Navi Window jump to Santa Apolonia I see Lat: 39.5288 and Lon: -8.46892. Which is precisely in the station of Santa Apolonia.

Then I created a route of my own with the station Faro. In TSRE5 the lat/lon are not correct, however when running OR on this route the map and compass are correct. So just the other way around.

#27 User is offline   Siebren 

• Fireman

Posted 08 December 2022 - 02:41 AM

hi Chris,

I added some code to move the icon on the map to the correct starting point. I share your conclusion that it does not help. When moving it deviates unacceptable from the track for the Edinburgh route. And there are more...

However there are also acceptable routes: Ruebelandbahn, Chicago - Seattle (BNSF), Bernia, ZigZag Australia.

And with acceptable I mean that you can see around where you are. Which bridges you cross. Which tunnels you drive into. But not accurate enough to see on which platform you are, which switches you cross.

I still think it's a valuable enhancement. But with some sort big disclaimer in the manual and/or the menu where you start the map.

I could also have a look at the TSRE5 code. Cause somehow TSRE5 knows the correct position. Which I saw in both Aldarion route and my little try. But the TSRE5 code looks not that easy.

#28 User is offline   Aldarion 

• Engineer
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 December 2022 - 03:00 AM

View PostSiebren, on 08 December 2022 - 02:14 AM, said:

hi Aldarion,

thanks for sharing this Portugal route, I like Portugal.

I tested the map option with your CP2030 route. More puzzles... When I start your route in Santa Apolonia, the map and the compass shows Lat: 38,719480 and Lon: -8,591463. Which is not in Lisbon, but somewhere east near Canha, some 50 km's difference! However when I open the route in TSRE5 and via the Navi Window jump to Santa Apolonia I see Lat: 39.5288 and Lon: -8.46892. Which is precisely in the station of Santa Apolonia.

Then I created a route of my own with the station Faro. In TSRE5 the lat/lon are not correct, however when running OR on this route the map and compass are correct. So just the other way around.

Hi

Probably the ony point of coincidence is the geographycal cener of portugal. Acording to Darwins's manual when starting a new route we should select the geo center of the area (in my case the entire country) and then make the necessary calculations to enter the appropriate TsreGeoProjection line in the .trk file.

One that was done i started using TSRE to import the heightmaps and map layers... since those two were coinciding and after some tests I reallized that distances were maintained I started laying track paying no attention to actual coordinates.

So with all this, my question is... how do I lay a new Route where i can import heightmaps, map layers that keeps distances ( right now, in PT2030 i have a +0,1566% distance variation. Quite acceptable.)

#29 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 08 December 2022 - 04:01 AM

So with all this, my question is... how do I lay a new Route where i can import heightmaps, map layers that keeps distances ( right now, in PT2030 i have a +0,1566% distance variation. Quite acceptable.)

Hello.

I use the GPS Visualiser program for this purpose. I navigate to the railway station where I want to start the construction of the track. I will pick up 2, 3 markers. I went to gpx format and downloaded it.
After that I do the new route with the TSRE program. I don't care where it will be. I accept what TSRE offers.
I'll correct it later.
I've gone the new route, I'm closing TSRE. I copy the downloaded gpx file. I open the new course, select the GPX marker list in the Navi Window. I select the appropriate marker from the list and jump there.
I will make a new tile, download the topography and, if necessary, the satellite map.
Based on the Navi Window, I correct the data of the trk file. Starting tile and coordinate.

https://kephost.net/p/2022/49/8066_266f7e7484de.png

https://kephost.net/p/2022/48/9279_611162ab9091.png

https://kephost.net/p/2022/48/9696_a402afb07fbd.png

The accuracy can be seen in the last two pictures. Half of the building is the difference, but that could also be my fault. I wasn't aiming accurately enough.
Sorry for the Hungarian captions of the pictures, I didn't think to post them here.

Sincerely, Laci 1959

#30 User is offline   Aldarion 

• Engineer
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 December 2022 - 04:57 AM

Ok. Tried that

Here are the results:
https://i.ibb.co/KFdJ0SQ/Image1.jpg

Has you can see the difeerence betwen the GPs Visualizer and TSRE Geo lenght is quite good. just 5m difference. It means that in the totality of the 320km of the route I will have 1.6 km more in lenght -> +0,5% variation. I belive that in timetable mode I wont have any problem in adhering to timetable.

But now, looking at game lenght i get quite a shock: the real 1691m (average) are actually 2081m. So, in 320km I will gain 124,8km... +39% variation in track lenght. I can't adhere to timetables. My trains will always arrive late...
In that regard, I cannot give value to such a fine addition to the OR web interface... it's just aesthetics.
Unless there's a relatively simple way to deform the geo heigh data and map layers to insert ont TSRE5 or maybe an editro to transform maps that will appear in the web interface ... wich quite frankly jsut sound too complicated for me... as a Route developer I will choose not to pay attention because route lenghts are more important to my routes objectives than coordinates.

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users