• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Route Riter source code Rate Topic: ***** 2 Votes

#21 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 02 May 2022 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for pursuing this in what looks like the right way.

#22 User is offline   FrannDzs 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 02 May 2022 - 05:31 PM

View Posteolesen, on 02 May 2022 - 03:19 PM, said:

Thanks for pursuing this in what looks like the right way.

Thanks to the community, Mike and Mr J.
So far I have managed to install on Windows 10 x64 (not recommended to use Win10 but there it is):

- Visual Basic 6.0
- VB6 Service Pack 6
- MSDN Library
- Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Upgrade Assesment Tool (A wizard that reviews the code for porting to .NET.)

I couldn't run the Code Advisor for VB6 (I don't think it's strictly necessary anyway).

As well as documentation for upgrading the project from VB6 to .NET:
https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

And I managed to compile the project from the "Main" branch on Windows 10 x64.
* The 7.7.6 branch needs a few small changes to make it compile. The code is really messy but can be worked on.

I also found the Component One 2008 controls and an Updater from VSFLEX7 to VSFLEX8 for the 7.7.6 branch (Essential since I didn't get c1 2007).
You can send me a private message and I will pass you the link to the downloads.

Maybe I'm forgetting something but I've already made a lot of progress from my humble knowledge.

#23 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 02 May 2022 - 10:05 PM

>* The 7.8.10 branch is not really 7.8.10

Mike's last version was 7.6.26.
I think you have the other version?

#24 User is offline   FrannDzs 

• Apprentice

Posted 03 May 2022 - 07:15 AM

View Postengmod, on 02 May 2022 - 10:05 PM, said:

<br _mstmutation="1">>* The 7.8.10 branch is not really 7.8.10<br _mstmutation="1"><br _mstmutation="1">Mike's last version was 7.6.26.<br _mstmutation="1">I think you have the other version?<br _mstmutation="1">

Correction, the other branch is 7.7.6, not 7.8.10.
And Mike's "Main" branch is 7.6.27. That's what I could get.

#25 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 03 May 2022 - 02:02 PM

Thanks for your effort. Unfortunately for me I no longer have VB6, but this would be a good time to see how much of a pain it is to convert from VB6 to VB .NET. Forms would be the easiest to redo. The real test would be converting the existing VB6 code. I read somewhere that depending on how the code is written, it could be a major pain or a partial pain.

#26 User is offline   FrannDzs 

• Apprentice

Posted 03 May 2022 - 02:14 PM

View Postedwardk, on 03 May 2022 - 02:02 PM, said:

Thanks for your effort. Unfortunately for me I no longer have VB6, but this would be a good time to see how much of a pain it is to convert from VB6 to VB .NET. Forms would be the easiest to redo. The real test would be converting the existing VB6 code. I read somewhere that depending on how the code is written, it could be a major pain or a partial pain.

Edward, a pleasure. It is easy to find Visual Basic 6.0 with its corresponding service packs and other add-ons, I can recommend some links if you wish.

In windows 10 there is a special process to install correctly, there is a program called Visual Basic 6 Installer created by Giorgio Brausi: http://nuke.vbcorner...US/Default.aspx

Currently the download is only possible with a donation, but I have an older executable of this, which still works if you want it.
Better than W10 would be to do it from a virtual machine or on a pc with Windows XP system.

Anything else send me a PM

PS: Regarding the upgrade to VB.NET I found a lot of info on the internet, there I left a microsoft PDF about it and add-ins like Code Advisor or Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Upgrade Assesment Tool would help a lot.
A study of all this is needed unfortunately, for me this is new as I was a kid when it was ongoing. Maybe you more experienced folks can make faster progress than me.

~Another Microsoft link that might be useful:
https://docs.microso...0-documentation *Some pages may no longer be available, but the Wayback Machine may help,

PS2: A project migration wizard is also available since VB 2008. You can try this as well.

Fran

#27 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 03 May 2022 - 05:48 PM

I believe I found a site with VB6, but in this situation, I believe the focus should be to convert the basics over to .NET. Initially, the express edition of VB from 2008 to I think 2010 had the ability to convert VB6 projects. The only problem is that the installation needed to download what was needed from Microsoft's server which no longer exists. I am not sure if there was ever a full install package. Now, did the 2008 Studio Edition have the ability to convert VB6 files? Keep in mind that from what I have read, the conversion was not perfect, but a good portion of the code and the forms I believe were converted.

#28 User is offline   FrannDzs 

• Apprentice

Posted 03 May 2022 - 10:45 PM

View Postedwardk, on 03 May 2022 - 05:48 PM, said:

I believe I found a site with VB6, but in this situation, I believe the focus should be to convert the basics over to .NET. Initially, the express edition of VB from 2008 to I think 2010 had the ability to convert VB6 projects. The only problem is that the installation needed to download what was needed from Microsoft's server which no longer exists. I am not sure if there was ever a full install package. Now, did the 2008 Studio Edition have the ability to convert VB6 files? Keep in mind that from what I have read, the conversion was not perfect, but a good portion of the code and the forms I believe were converted.

That's right, Visual Studio 2008, at least in the Professional version, which is the one I have, can convert projects:
*I attached a zip file with the results

https://i.imgur.com/SbndYDf.png

Attached File(s)

#29 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 04 May 2022 - 04:12 AM

I am a non-programmer but am very interested in what is happening here.

One comment, I though that one of the main goals is to get Route Riter compatible with Open Rails?

#30 User is offline   FrannDzs 

• Apprentice

Posted 04 May 2022 - 07:35 AM

View Postdforrest, on 04 May 2022 - 04:12 AM, said:

I am a non-programmer but am very interested in what is happening here.One comment, I though that one of the main goals is to get Route Riter compatible with Open Rails?

Hello David, that's right, since Route Riter and TSUtils were originally focused on MSTS only. I hope the community can achieve something with all this. I am trying unsuccessfully to contact Carlos-Heinz Rave to tell him about some bugs in TSUtils. Many of the RR actions call TSUtils hence the importance of fixing it as well.

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users