• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Route Riter source code Rate Topic: ***** 2 Votes

#1 User is offline   FrannDzs 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 24 April 2022 - 06:07 AM

Hi guys, good morning, I'm kind of new to the forum but I've been on it a lot this last time and I already feel at home hehe.

I have uploaded the source code of Route Riter to GitHub, so everyone can review it and improve it:

Source Code

The reason is because I didn't find anyone talking about it, and it seems to me an excellent tool for further development/porting for Open Rails. ¿What do you think?. :buffalobill:

PD:
**Several files are missing in the code and it is impossible to compile, bad news :(

This post has been edited by FrannDzs: 03 May 2022 - 09:15 AM

#2 User is offline   Aldarion 

• Engineer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Owner

Posted 25 April 2022 - 04:34 AM

Route Ritter served me well once or twice. I would like to see it rehabilitated and become more usefull especially if integrated with a powerfull route editor such has TSRE5

#3 User is offline   jdgremsjr 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR, TS2016

Posted 25 April 2022 - 06:59 AM

View PostFrannDzs, on 24 April 2022 - 06:07 AM, said:

Hi guys, good morning, I'm kind of new to the forum but I've been on it a lot this last time and I already feel at home hehe.

I have uploaded the source code of Route Riter to GitHub, so everyone can review it and improve it:

Source Code

The reason is because I didn't find anyone talking about it, and it seems to me an excellent tool for further development/porting for Open Rails. ¿What do you think?. :buffalobill:

PD:
**Several files are missing in the code and it is impossible to compile, bad news :(

I certainly hope you got the permission of Mike Simpson, the original author. As far as I know, it is not an open source project. The last I heard the only one with permission to modify the source is now banned from the community for pirating other people's content.

#4 User is offline   FrannDzs 

• Apprentice

Posted 25 April 2022 - 08:58 AM

View Postjdgremsjr, on 25 April 2022 - 06:59 AM, said:

I certainly hope you got the permission of Mike Simpson, the original author. As far as I know, it is not an open source project. The last I heard the only one with permission to modify the source is now banned from the community for pirating other people's content.

Last night Mike got back to me and it is not of interest to him by the looks of it. He told me that he is 82 years old and will no longer be engaged in new projects, I don't think he would mind donating his code to the community after so many years. A thousand apologies for the misunderstanding, he just doesn't have a license file and I didn't know which one he would use. Then I saw that it is Freeware.

And Jeffrey what did he do? did he buy the code? why didn't he continue developing it? it's a good time to leave childish attitudes and move this thing forward. This is my humble opinion. If it is necessary to buy back the rights, I am available so I don't know. Mike still didn't answer me if he still has his complete source code as the one I shared is half complete and insevible, sorry.

Also sorry if my english is bad, I'm argentinian and I use google translator.

Franco Paladini

#5 User is offline   FrannDzs 

• Apprentice

Posted 25 April 2022 - 09:00 AM

View PostAldarion, on 25 April 2022 - 04:34 AM, said:

Route Ritter served me well once or twice. I would like to see it rehabilitated and become more usefull especially if integrated with a powerfull route editor such has TSRE5

I hope so too, comrade! If we don't manage to get the RR source I imagine that in the future something similar can be created in TSRE, some route repair functions and massive conversions.

Franco Paladini

#6 User is offline   jdgremsjr 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR, TS2016

Posted 25 April 2022 - 09:37 AM

View PostFrannDzs, on 25 April 2022 - 08:58 AM, said:

And Jeffrey what did he do? did he buy the code? why didn't he continue developing it? it's a good time to leave childish attitudes and move this thing forward. This is my humble opinion. If it is necessary to buy back the rights, I am available so I don't know. Mike still didn't answer me if he still has his complete source code as the one I shared is half complete and insevible, sorry.

Also sorry if my english is bad, I'm argentinian and I use google translator.

Franco Paladini

Jeffrey started a bunch of drama and started to steal payware, he even tried to use copyright law to try to close down ElvasTower when Dave would not delete some of his stupid posts, claiming his posts were copyrighted. I guess since he pissed of the whole community he quit developing Route riter, I agree I still use Mike's last version of route riter and it is a very useful program, I'd also like to see an activity editor that can create its own paths and it easier to use. I quit creating activities after I could no longer use MSTS Activity editor.

#7 User is offline   FrannDzs 

• Apprentice

Posted 25 April 2022 - 09:45 AM

View PostWeter, on 25 April 2022 - 09:11 AM, said:

Good luck, mate.
There are some afraids, that TSRE have to search for new writer too...

I can contribute a little but I am too new to MSTS/OR and must learn a lot about them.

I was thinking that it is necessary to gather the information we have about MSTS/OR in one place, (glossary, tricks, tutorials, various information) so we don't have to search all over the forum. It's a big job but between all of us we can do it. Maybe in github.

#8 User is offline   FrannDzs 

• Apprentice

Posted 25 April 2022 - 09:51 AM

View Postjdgremsjr, on 25 April 2022 - 09:37 AM, said:

Jeffrey started a bunch of drama and started to steal payware, he even tried to use copyright law to try to close down ElvasTower when Dave would not delete some of his stupid posts, claiming his posts were copyrighted. I guess since he pissed of the whole community he quit developing Route riter, I agree I still use Mike's last version of route riter and it is a very useful program, I'd also like to see an activity editor that can create its own paths and it easier to use. I quit creating activities after I could no longer use MSTS Activity editor.

Sorry to read that and yes I saw something on the forum, but I didn't know the dimension, in the end for arguing about copyrights it was all over. Is it fair? You should put the rancor aside and get back to talking about it. I know copyright is important but personally I don't care if someone else can improve my work. I'm generally open source minded.
Is it fair to terminate Route Riter for that reason? And I don't disrespect the rights of the people who suffered this from Jeffrey, or anyone else I have no drama with any of them I just want this to go forward and nothing else. Forget about the old days, we are grown up people, some of us are quite adult.

Franco Paladini

#9 User is offline   FrannDzs 

• Apprentice

Posted 25 April 2022 - 09:57 AM

View PostWeter, on 25 April 2022 - 09:48 AM, said:

A little...
Aren't You was the one, who fixed translation templates to ruin menu.exe?
If so, that's very good contribution. I was annoyed with said issues for a half of year.

Gather...
That's essential. And such work already started somewhere...

Yes, I was translating a bit into Spanish and researching how that worked, I updated all the language templates but they still didn't merge the PR.
I forgot all that after I got to know RR, so imagine how new I am.

Where are you working on it? I would like to contribute, I spend many hours on forums and I can start collecting information, I would like to focus more on Open Rails than MSTS. So information would need to be updated to be compatible with OR, in my opinion.

Franco Paladini

#10 User is offline   FrannDzs 

• Apprentice

Posted 25 April 2022 - 10:52 AM

View PostWeter, on 25 April 2022 - 10:13 AM, said:

My advice: if you'll have some spare hours, go to Languages subdir of Program folder.
*.po-file, you'll find there is directly works for timetable-editor.exe, so if You would make *es-copy of it and translate all its about 150 strings, then Spanish-speaking users will have localized version for editing timetables.

My work is in Russian, so no guarantee, that we are able to help each other directly, though that would be very desirable.

Thanks Weter, I will try something with that, I could translate to English and then it would be easier for me, although I doubt google/deepl's capability.
There are expressions that would not translate correctly.
It is complicated.

Franco Paladini

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users