• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Route Building Tutorial and Demonstration Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   Hendrik 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 January 2023 - 01:56 PM

Thanks for the info! Your explanation of how the global tsection.dat file works is very helpful. I do look at the steam4me site but have so far been a bit hesitant with the info as it is very (only?) MSTS oriented and I don't know enough to say if it is 1 on 1 applicable to Open Rails. As I am learning more about how OR files are used, I am getting better at making that call though (I think .... :) )

#32 User is offline   Hendrik 

• Fireman

Posted 23 January 2023 - 01:59 PM

View Posteolesen, on 23 January 2023 - 10:02 AM, said:

Here's the UKTS route building tutorial

Attachment NewRoute1.pdf

Nice, Thanks!

#33 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 24 January 2023 - 07:58 AM

Hello, Hank.
Glad, it helps.
Internet connection is needed for downloading appropriate map overlays too - during new tiles creation on Your route.
Minimal download is done by program during first run. The rest... I since have no idea about right folders structure of TSRE, so, however I've downloaded that *.arch, I don't know is it actually used or no. Hence, no suggestions about that. But yes, template route is a source of terrain textures, objects (most - without textures) and some other stuff, needed for route creation, while user have no MSTS installed.

I've merged folders from *.arch and self-downloaded ones... They mostly contain same files, so...

Steam4me is 1990-th established railfan's site, initially used mostly to store and discuss photographs, documents, etc.
About 5 years later, it got MSTS-supporting part and have became, IMO, one of world's best library of tutorials, written by some most expert content developers.
First and main, I'd say, as it is for me.
Later, it have disappeared, due to (as I've learned later) cease of hosting; but, happily, have a great return a pair of years later - on new, more friendly domain.

What about compatibility... ORTS have become (not intended initially), an alternative engine for running MSTS content, with new and extending capabilities.
(indeed, most tutorials on Steam4me were created before 2009, while ORTS have become known after 2010, so no wonder)
Hence, all, what was said about MSTS content is applicable to ORTS (with exceptions of RGE, ENV, and few other things, listed in MANUAL), while not all, what about ORTS is supported by MSTS. Especially, I suggest You to pay attention on editing of ORTS-advanced content by MSTS-editors: they will delete new ORTS entries on save, or just won't open such data.

#34 User is offline   Hendrik 

• Fireman

Posted 24 January 2023 - 04:34 PM

View PostWeter, on 24 January 2023 - 07:58 AM, said:

I suggest You to pay attention on editing of ORTS-advanced content by MSTS-editors: they will delete new ORTS entries on save, or just won't open such data.

Good to know! I have not used the tools that come with MSTS. Not sure if they will work on my windows 10:PC but. I couldn’t get train.exe running. The forums tell me that Msts doesn’t like the AMD graphics card that I have. Maybe the Msts editing tools will just work I will try. Am focussing now on working with TSRE though. Given the risk that the Msts editors could result in loosing ORTS specific entries, What would be reasons to still use the MSTS editors and tools? Do they have features that are not in TSRE?

#35 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 24 January 2023 - 06:38 PM

1. Habit and conservatism.
2. Good (almost) 2-d mode activity editor. (TSRE's 3-d mode is redundant and less informative, when tweaking activities)
3. As 2-d activity editor for ORTS (at least 2 attempts) is still in demo-condition.

Runeditior is parameter of start command for train.exe no separate editing programs there. There were suggestions, how to adapt MSTS for w7-10.
Use online translator and see here tutorials about activity creation, train.exe tweaking, memory management and win7 running.

#36 User is offline   Hendrik 

• Fireman

Posted 25 January 2023 - 06:09 AM

Good to know about the three activity editors. When I get to that stage I will try them out and compare. Is there any risk of breaking files when using the MSTS activity editor for editing ORTS activities?

#37 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 25 January 2023 - 11:33 AM

Hello.
Third is yet out of functioning, so actually two.
If You included ORTS features by manual *.act-file editing, TSRE will keep them, MSTS AE - will delete.
If no such entries - no matter.
As a conclusion: you may create and tweak activity with MSTS AE, if You prefer, but add ORTS features only after that, and then - don't try to edit activity with NSTS AE any more.

Same for route, but in this case, You can (and its strongly recommended) create OpenRails subfolder in Your route's directory, and place ORTS-advanced files there.
MSTS won't touch them.

Also, include technique will work with route files.

#38 User is offline   Hendrik 

• Fireman

Posted 25 January 2023 - 12:45 PM

View PostWeter, on 25 January 2023 - 11:33 AM, said:

Also, include technique will work with route files.

Found some good threads about the file include technique. Thanks for all the info!
Hank

#39 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 25 January 2023 - 06:19 PM

Indeed, see more info on forums, as Manual provides only few words about that, just stating, that "it's possible"
Note, that 1-st and last strings of *.inc-files should be left blanc.

#40 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 25 January 2023 - 11:37 PM

Hello.

I prefer using the OpenRails folder. The manual also recommends this.

Sincerely, Laci1959

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users