#21 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 08 January 2022 - 08:45 AM

View Postxavivilla, on 06 January 2022 - 01:53 PM, said:

It may be on the following website

Hi…

Thanks so much - appreciate the interest…
;)

I think this is one of the less than honest sites - many of these conversion sites show up when searching - after you get your files uploaded they hit you up with a big bill.

Regards,
Scott

#22 User is offline   Docmartin 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 08 January 2022 - 08:51 AM

I'd like to add my thanks to Goku for having developed such an excellent route editor. Powerful and reliable - what more can one ask? It has saved my Chiltern route and made it possible for me to continue working on it. I do hope the TSRE forum reappears soon; no sign of it at the moment.

Martin

#23 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 08 January 2022 - 09:13 AM

From a different perspective...I do not create routes. As "just a user" if it would not be for TSRE, I would not be able to look forward to new content. I would venture a guess that there are many users such as myself that really appreciate what content developers can do with TSRE. I for one (I assume) am just one of a huge silent majority that have not thanked you for the efforts you have put forth, so I say now Thank you. For the selfish reason that I like trains, to too would like to see your TSRE development continue.

#24 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 09 January 2022 - 05:54 AM

Goku, there might be a way to save the forums from your site to either ET or TrainSim. If you have the SQL, we might be able to construct a migration file to bring the topics and posts over.

#25 User is offline   xavivilla 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails - RailWorks

Posted 09 January 2022 - 09:44 AM

The TSRE forum is back on track in http://www.onrails.eu/index.php

#26 User is offline   cyrail 

• Apprentice
  • Simulator:Open Rails and MSTS

Posted 09 January 2022 - 01:47 PM

I’ll echo what ckawahara said. Greatly appreciate those share their talents with the community. Special thanks to Goku. I do hope
You don’t give up on developing TSRE but understand if otherwise.

Safe travels all

Mark

#27 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 10 January 2022 - 01:47 AM

Hi Goku,
happy to read you and that a contact with the OR community has been, at least momentarily, re-established. I hope that behind the fact that you can't stay too much in front of the computer there aren't health reasons.

I think that your statement that OR has been a failure does not correspond to the actual situation. A proof? If you browse here https://github.com/o...openrails/pulls you will see that there are PRs by 9 different people. And there is someone else not appearing at the moment. It's years that there weren't so many active developers; and results are coming, in terms of features available.
One of the main reasons why OR is well and alive is also your contribution to it, Goku! Thank you again.

Thanks to Steffen (perpetualKid) for having acted to reopen the TSRE forum!

#28 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 10 January 2022 - 07:01 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 10 January 2022 - 01:47 AM, said:

I hope that behind the fact that you can't stay too much in front of the computer there aren't health reasons.

Sadly, it's the reason. But I just have accepted it.

View PostCsantucci, on 10 January 2022 - 01:47 AM, said:

I think that your statement that OR has been a failure does not correspond to the actual situation. A proof?

I'm not saying this about OR project and it's development, because it's great. I'm saying this about "market share". Almost no one is using it, except Indians.

#29 User is offline   pwillard 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 10 January 2022 - 07:21 AM

View PostGoku, on 10 January 2022 - 07:01 AM, said:

Sadly, it's the reason. But I just have accepted it.

I'm not saying this about OR project and it's development, because it's great. I'm saying this about "market share". Almost no one is using it, except Indians.

Well, I'm not entirely sure we can say "no one" quite yet... I mean at this point it would be fair to say there might only be a handful of "good" US and EU route developers... but let's not say that Indians don't count. I would say "Microsoft-related rail sims are still alive and kicking but slightly less popular for various reasons. "Free" and new US Route releases get just under 1000 downloads at Trainsim.com and new Indian routes get about twice that. I have no idea how retailers like TigerTrains or TrainSimulations are doing... as they don't really share that info.

Pete

#30 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 10 January 2022 - 08:07 AM

Hi Folks,

Comparing ORTS to DTG or Trainz is unfair - the latter have massive financial capital to expend on Advertising, better Game Engines, better Tools, and Developer Salaries. We'll never be on a level playing field with them. That said - we're not shackled to profit margins or deadlines.

I've tried both DTG and Trainz - once you get passed the flash - both seem lacking in substance and didn't hold my attention long.

I've brought up the issue of our visuals a number of times - realizing - we need a skilled developer within this category - with the interest to devote the necessary time. Our visual environment hasn't been touched in years (sky, world, weather, shapes). While "Number of Users" isn't a very important metric by itself - more users mean more skills, more developers, and more content creators. We need more "Flash" to entice people through the door to take a look around.

If we want to grow - YouTube is the best vehicle at our disposal to do this. We should all be trying to produce high quality videos. "Geepster" over at TS is the only one I see regularly posting North American content - his video work is quite good.

Regards,
Scott

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users