• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What happens next TSRE installation Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 24 December 2021 - 08:22 AM

Has anybody given any thought to if/when Goku's website goes dark?
Not only will TSRE become unavailable for download but because of the need to "phone home" during the install there will be no new installs.
I'm not saying it's going to happen tomorrow but I do see it happening in the future. Web hosting ain't cheap.

Randy

#2 User is offline   pwillard 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 24 December 2021 - 10:57 AM

View Poststeved, on 24 December 2021 - 08:22 AM, said:

Has anybody given any thought to if/when Goku's website goes dark?
Not only will TSRE become unavailable for download but because of the need to "phone home" during the install there will be no new installs.
I'm not saying it's going to happen tomorrow but I do see it happening in the future. Web hosting ain't cheap.

Randy

It is very likely that this is one of the reasons that GOKU posted his source code to TSRE on GITHUB. We have the code... if someone is willing and savvy, it's not a total loss if that happens... however, code with minimal comments and a foreign language is to many of us a bit of a hurdle

#3 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant

Posted 24 December 2021 - 11:02 AM

It is portable. You can run it from a thumbdrive or copy it to another location.
Would it be acceptable to put a working copy online for download? I'm not sure about the licensing. It is open source after all.

Randy

#4 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant

Posted 05 January 2022 - 06:42 AM

Beginning of the end?

Attached File  end.JPG (27.37K)
Number of downloads: 10

#5 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 05 January 2022 - 08:23 AM

One week ago I did buy a new server and move everything there. But I did forget that the sql database was not inside the docker container, but in the host system database. Everything worked well until the old server died. Very disappointing. No sql backup, no forum.

I would not count on more TSRE features.
- Too few people are using it compared to the work required for development. I consider OR a failure. Can't work on the computer too long anyway.
- TSRE community is very disappointing. For example someone discovered an easy way to convert geotiff filess to hgt. But years later people are still complaining that's not possible. No one is helping anyone.

#6 User is offline   Aldarion 

• Engineer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Owner
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 January 2022 - 08:55 AM

happy new year goku.

I am very sad about that... I was looking forward to the multiuser feature for editing and building routes. I must say if it wasnt for tsre I would have never gone back to route building. And I'm certainly not going back to trying to use RE anymore. Besides, you gave me great hints on some problems too. Thank you for everything.

Cheers mate.

#7 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant

Posted 05 January 2022 - 09:05 AM

View PostGoku, on 05 January 2022 - 08:23 AM, said:

One week ago I did buy a new server and move everything there. But I did forget that the sql database was not inside the docker container, but in the host system database. Everything worked well until the old server died. Very disappointing. No sql backup, no forum.

I would not count on more TSRE features.
- Too few people are using it compared to the work required for development. I consider OR a failure. Can't work on the computer too long anyway.
- TSRE community is very disappointing. For example someone discovered an easy way to convert geotiff filess to hgt. But years later people are still complaining that's not possible. No one is helping anyone.

Goku,

I'm sorry to hear this.
I for one use TSRE almost on a daily basis and I visited your website several times a week, sometimes to learn something new, other times to help out where I could.
It will be missed by lots of people, new ones just getting started especially. It was an invaluable reference.
OpenRails and TSRE opened up a whole new world to people like me who struggled for years to do anything with MSTS and the tools that came with it.

Thanks for all you've accomplished and the support you've given the community.

Randy

#8 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 05 January 2022 - 09:20 AM

If TSRE forum is valuable for anyone, here is link for the old server renewal:

https://www.kimsufi....31-246.eu#ENDIF

For me TSRE forum is not worth 25 euros, but if someone wants to renew it, I will copy the sql database to a new server.
I a few days OVH will remove the server. I don't know if it is one day or five.

#9 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 05 January 2022 - 10:21 AM

View PostGoku, on 05 January 2022 - 08:23 AM, said:

For example someone discovered an easy way to convert geotiff filess to hgt. But years later people are still complaining that's not possible. No one is helping anyone.

Hi Goku,

Please tell me more - I've tried a few different programs - posted on a few different scientific boards - yet - haven't even had a clue on how to do this. We are now seeing widespread availability of 1 Meter DEM - I'd like to take advantage of it.

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

#10 User is offline   xavivilla 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails - RailWorks

Posted 05 January 2022 - 10:24 AM

With this I understand that the TSRE forum and the TSRE5 program are terminated on your part.

On the other hand, I do not understand how for a forum you can pay € 251 for a year of hosting, when you can get it for € 90 or less on a shared server like Hosting24

Goku, I wish you the best in life.

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users