• You cannot reply to this topic

ENG/WAG Values - The Definitive List ? Rate Topic: -----

#71 User is offline   RR1 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:48 PM

I'm not sure I'm following.

Col 'T' in the second sheet are the items that do not exist at all in OR. Search through the OR code for any of the items in col 'T' and you simply won't find them. So none of the items in col 'T' belong in any OR file.

Everything on the Master sheet is in the OR code. Is it also in MSTS? Like you I don't care. But as I mentioned above, when I incorporate the second reconciliation I will identify all items in Column 'A' that don't exist in TokenID.cs. You will then have a complete list of NOs which mean they only exist in OR. TokenID.cs is not used anywhere in the existing code. I think if was more of a checklist as to what was in MSTS used during the early development days.

Now if you are looking for parameters that were originally in OR but are no longer used in OR, i.e. they have been superceded by newer parameters that replace them, and using both parameters would be either redundant or conflicting, then I have absolutely no means to identify what those are. I cannot tell which classes may no longer be used but still reside in the code. All I know is that there is at least one line somewhere in the code which can read every parameter on the Master sheet so I therefore assume they are all required/used by OR.

We need to see what this last missing step yields before continuing; it might provide something closer to what you are looking for. Also, if you could provide some concrete examples that would be a big help.

#72 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 26 January 2021 - 03:17 PM

RR1, on 26 January 2021 - 02:48 PM, said:

We need to see what this last missing step yields before continuing; it might provide something closer to what you are looking for. Also, if you could provide some concrete examples that would be a big help.

No doubt in the comprehensive appendices in the OR manual....

The problem is all of those MSTS parameters in the OR code are there (most likely) because within any given .wag or .eng the code still uses them in the absence of OR replacements, which is fine for keeping those files operable. What I'm asking for is which MSTS parameters have been depreciated because there is an OR-only equivalent -- Friction() being depreciated by Davis...() for example. I understand that this is a much harder task but I do think it is important to get this information.

#73 User is offline   RR1 

• Hostler

Posted 26 January 2021 - 03:54 PM

I see what you are getting at. Unfortunately that appears to be something only people intimately familiar with how the
code works can do.

If we could compile a list of deprecated OR parameters then it would be a trivial matter to flag those as required only for MSTS which would indeed be useful. OR code makes no distinctions, this is only something humans can do.

The first step would be to take all "orts???????" parameters and see if we could get help in identifying MSTS parameters they are meant to replace. This will require developer input.

#74 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 26 January 2021 - 04:37 PM

Really, what bad in placing new version of spreadsheet as an attachment here?
And github too-for upgrading by others?

#75 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 January 2021 - 11:38 AM

Weter, on 26 January 2021 - 04:37 PM, said:

Really, what bad in placing new version of spreadsheet as an attachment here?
And github too-for upgrading by others?

I'm glad John's huge contribution is getting some interest. Who knew that so many parameters are available?

The latest version of the spreadsheet is available from the link at http://tinyurl.com/or-parameters and the link will be also included in the Manual and the website.

John is keeping the spreadsheet up to date through his custom processing software. I see no benefit in asking him also to upload a version here every time a change is needed.

We wouldn't put it on GitHub for others to contribute as they do for the source code because, like the Open Rails manual and the *.exe files, it is the product of an automatic process, not individual contributions.

#76 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2021 - 05:39 AM

RR1, on 25 January 2021 - 11:48 AM, said:

With just 0ver 2200 elements, there are bound to be a few which may still be misrepresented. Any comments to that effect are welcome.

An additional feature is the linking of many Eng and Wag parameters to the tables present on the Coals to Newcastle website (column H).

Column 'D' on sheet "Lists_by_Type" lists the undocumented Eng and Wag parameters, primarily missing from the manual. Any inputs, either written documentation or sources where documentation might be found, would be welcome.

And lastly, anyone who would like to contribute to the "Possible Values" and "Description" columns, please feel free to do so.

As part of the continuing effort to enhance OR documentation, I hope that this is of benefit. Feedback is welcome.

Can we go back to John's request for feedback?

With so many parameters now identified, I'm sure there will be some surprises. Do take a good look and offer your corrections or clarifications for John.

#77 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2021 - 12:47 PM

IMO I don't think it will possible to obtain a comprehensive list of values w/o first trying to get that from the code itself. I have no idea what that might entail. But if that can be done then anything missing can be referred to members and perhaps be an item to add to the code.

#78 User is offline   RR1 

• Hostler

Posted 28 January 2021 - 01:48 PM

Genma Saotome, on 28 January 2021 - 12:47 PM, said:

IMO I don't think it will possible to obtain a comprehensive list of values w/o first trying to get that from the code itself. I have no idea what that might entail. But if that can be done then anything missing can be referred to members and perhaps be an item to add to the code.

I assume you are referring to Col 'B' - "Possible Values"? Yes, I already thought "how hard could it be to extract OR internal defaults?" Well, it's not easy. There are as many different ways of setting default values as programmers who have worked on the code. I would like to revisit that though.

I'd like to follow up on your deprecated OR variables question first. I have some ideas on how to at least make a start with that. Don't know how far I'll get . . .

#79 User is offline   RR1 

• Hostler

Posted 08 February 2021 - 04:40 PM

Genma Saotome, on 28 January 2021 - 12:47 PM, said:

First cut at some defaults posted to the OneDrive link. Defaults are limited to Eng/Wag files only. Not all of OR's Eng/Wag default settings, most are assigned to internal variables. The ones posted were relatively easy to link to input parameters.

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users