• You cannot reply to this topic

ENG/WAG Values - The Definitive List ? Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 25 January 2021 - 03:51 PM

Won't open, says it is "structurally damaged" OpenOffice does give me a variety of choices, Excel 4 or 6, OpenOffice spreadsheet...when I chose that it said had to be repaired, which it could not then complete. I gotta go for today, some errands...will check back later. Frustrating and puzzling.

#62 User is offline   RR1 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:24 PM

[quote name='R H Steele' timestamp='1611617759' post='267895']
It could just be Microsoft BLEEPing with other browsers, isn't OneDrive their service? Couldn't we use an opensource point of delivery...or even maybe GitHub? Maybe I should try to log on as a guest, if that's at all possible? screenshot of what download page looks like in firefox

Second screenshot shows what happened when I clicked on circle in upper right hand part of square, now download is choice of xlsx file, downloaded to desktop and trying to open now.
[/quote

Don't click on the circle!! Just right click on the big icon and select Download.

#63 User is online   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2021 - 09:06 PM

Gerry, when you have a file that everyone agrees is working, could you please put it into the file library and also edit any posts holding hte archive (a link tot he file library entry is suggested). Thank you!

#64 User is online   Genma Saotome 

Posted 25 January 2021 - 09:53 PM

Suggestion: Column H. Consider renaming to Usage with values
  • MSTS Only
  • Both
  • OR Only

The value of MSTS only suggests it may be safely removed from an OR only file.

#65 User is offline   RR1 

• Hostler

Posted 26 January 2021 - 06:37 AM

Genma Saotome, on 25 January 2021 - 09:06 PM, said:

Gerry, when you have a file that everyone agrees is working, could you please put it into the file library and also edit any posts holding hte archive (a link tot he file library entry is suggested). Thank you!

Sigh, it was actually Chris who suggested OneDrive. The original intent was to keep this up to date in a convenient location. There is nothing wrong with the file!

I think I'll just step aside until you and Chris can agree on a process.

#66 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:55 AM

Hi Gerry,

R H Steele, on 25 January 2021 - 03:35 PM, said:

It could just be Microsoft BLEEPing with other browsers, isn't OneDrive their service?

Don't bother downloading it. Just open it in the browser (works in Firefox, Chrome and Edge).

We're using browser delivery so that it's available to people regardless of their spreadsheet software and we chose Microsoft's OneDrive because that gives better functionality than Google's Sheets.

#67 User is offline   RR1 

• Hostler

Posted 26 January 2021 - 11:26 AM

Genma Saotome, on 25 January 2021 - 09:53 PM, said:

Suggestion: Column H. Consider renaming to Usage with values
  • MSTS Only
  • Both
  • OR Only

The value of MSTS only suggests it may be safely removed from an OR only file.

Did you mean Col 'G' - "Also in MSTS"?

Short Answer:
Nothing in Master_List Col 'A' can be removed from an OR only file. All of col 'A' comes strictly from the OR code.
ALL of the items in col 'T' in sheet "Lists_by_Type" can be removed from OR only files because none of those elements (or character strings) appear anywhere in OR code.

Long Answer:
There are two separate functions that are performed on the OR code which ultimately results in the output you see

Function 1. The OR code is parsed, using some rules, to infer Parameters/Tokens, whatever, that are read from external files. So all of the items in Col 'A' of "Master_List" come from the OR code. When this list is generated, the parser knows nothing about MSTS.

Function 2. The list of tokens/parameters/whatever in Orts.Parsers.Msts/TokenID.cs is read into a hash table. The code is parsed and each word is looked up in the hash table. So for all of the elements in TokenID.cs, each element is either found in OR or isn't found in OR. The assumption is that ALL elements in TokenID.cs came from MSTS. I have no other way to determine what is in MSTS. The list of TokenID,cs elements that are NOT found in OR are displayed in Col 'T' of sheet "Lists_bt_Type"

So none of the elements in col 'T' are in col'A' (I just verified that). Therefore Col 'A' does not contain any elements that are MSTS only.

Therefore Col 'G' can have only 2 values. Either the element is in both MSTS and OR or in OR only. If it's MSTS only, that's Col 'T' in "Lists_by_Type"

Currently, the criteria for deciding whether "Also in MSTS = No" is whether the "Name" (Col 'A') contains "orts".

Thank-you for reminding me that a further test is needed. I had thought about this a while ago, but forgot to implement it.

The further test is to look for anything in Col 'A' that is not in TokenID.cs. There are probably new items introduced into OR that do not contain the string "orts". Therefore the next update will probably show more "No"s in column 'G' (i.e. the element is in OR only.

I hope this clarifies things.

(edited because I hit a wrong key and posted before completing)

#68 User is offline   RR1 

• Hostler

Posted 26 January 2021 - 12:15 PM

Apache Open Office doesn't like Excel!

Nothing wrong with the file on OneDrive.

I'm trying to open my local Excel file (the one I uploaded) in a brand new install of Open Office and, ya, its taking forever.

If and when it does open, I'll try saving it as an odt file and if that makes a difference I can put that file on OneDrive also for anyone who wants to download to Open Office.

Putting the existing excel file in the downloads section won't make any difference at all if someone is trying to open it with Open Office.

And FYI, like I said yesterday, for anyone who has it, Libreoffice is just fine.

But like Chris just said, you can browse the file on OneDrive - no need to download unless you want to manipulate it.

#69 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2021 - 12:51 PM

cjakeman, on 26 January 2021 - 10:55 AM, said:

Hi Gerry,

Don't bother downloading it. Just open it in the browser (works in Firefox, Chrome and Edge).

We're using we're using browser delivery so that it's available to people regardless of their spreadsheet software and we chose Microsoft's OneDrive because that gives better functionality than Google's Sheets.

Hi Chris, yep, all cleared up, Mauricio confirmed same problems using Apache Open Office...I'm going to download Libre Office and it does open just fine in the browser. I understand the idea of browser delivery providing better functionality...upon reflection my reaction to MS was knee-jerk conspiracy theory http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/crazy.gifhttp://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/alien.gifhttp://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/ko2.gif --- ten minutes to open a document, felt like 1984 ( hallowed conspiracy theory year ). This is a monumental effort...thanks for all the work put into it. Is any consideration being given to uploading a copy to the ET library?

Gerry

#70 User is online   Genma Saotome 

Posted 26 January 2021 - 01:36 PM

RR1, on 26 January 2021 - 11:26 AM, said:

Did you mean Col 'G' - "Also in MSTS"?

Maybe....

What I'm hoping to find is a comprehensive list of what belongs in an OR-only file and what does not. For example, Friction; w/o looking elsewhere I'd say this is obsolete so long as there are the Davis factors present but that's not what I find in the spreadsheet. I have never used the extra directory in .wag or .eng folders as I regard it as an unnecessary kludge given I do not use MSTS for anything, which is to say my .eng and .wag files really are pure OR-Only. Removing parameters that OR does not use is one of the tasks I do when setting up a .wag or .eng file for use in my environment. I thought that information was best suited to be in column H. If that also means the MSTS only parameters need to be added to column G then that is an unfortunate consequence but necessary for the purposes of being complete.

Overall, this is nice work... the OR team should have done this years ago.

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users