• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Trackside Photos - Show us your "PrivateRoutes" Rate Topic: -----

#91 User is offline   RRDiesel87 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 February 2023 - 04:44 AM

Weter, yes your reffering to what would have would have been the Western Maryland Connelsville Extention had it been completed in the sim. Sandpatch was really a great route for its time considering the lack of the tools and content that we have today. Anyway here is a shot of the "long bridge" or Salisbury Viaduct you remember.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52678811480_d8baa725c0_h.jpgOpen Rails 2_9_2023 7_37_59 AM by Andrew Collins, on Flickr

#92 User is offline   RRDiesel87 

• Apprentice

Posted 09 February 2023 - 11:31 AM

View PostWeter, on 09 February 2023 - 11:00 AM, said:

I agree with Your opinion.
Thanks again - for pleasing my nostalgia.
On earlier posts, I've noticed on bridge over Rockwood only ties, without rails.

Are these branches functioning nowadays?

So when I rebuilt that flyover bridge I had to lower it significantly to match the prototype height, bringing the track down would have required additional work, and because it's not connected to anything I just opted to delete it entirely.

As for the real-world prototype, the original MLT Sandpatch route was c.1985. At that time, CSX was still using the flyover bridge and a section of intact WM main to access a mine loadout west of Rockwood on the other side of the river. That mine closed in 1990 and the related tracks were torn up in 1993 as far as I know.

#93 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 09 February 2023 - 11:41 AM

So, this route's condition gains historic sense as well, then.
I also was interested about a branch, travelling towards East off Rockwood, because on MLT's representation, it ends with nothing.

To the left of Cumberland, there was a parallel route too, and Cumberlang station itself was shown without it's south end, so, Your screenshots gallery looks very intriguing and promising for me.

#94 User is offline   RRDiesel87 

• Apprentice

Posted 09 February 2023 - 12:03 PM

The track section from the wye is the Somerset & Cambria (S&C) Subdivision that went to Johnstown, PA and included numerous mine branches and online industries. This line is still in use today although it sees only a fraction of the traffic it once did. The other line in Cumberland you mention was again the WM Connellsville Extention. The WM paralleled the B&O most of the way between Cumberland and Connellsville, it was abandoned in 1975. Today the line between Cumberland and Frostburg. MD is still in service as the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad.

#95 User is offline   RRDiesel87 

• Apprentice

Posted 10 February 2023 - 06:30 AM

View PostWeter, on 09 February 2023 - 05:03 PM, said:

Yes, on map, these two lines did go in parallel, but it was too much for my humble abilities - to dare to add it all, so I have begin placing rails from switch near viaduct - towards Rockwood, then - have placed some hundreds of meters along the opposite bank, but without precise geographic reference in use, it was pure fantasy, having to come to its end at flyover bridge above Rockwood's sidings and wye.

Yes I've looked at rebuilding that route but it would be a challenge, The original MLT route was done the was before the days before good DEM I think, so all of that terrain would need to be adjusted as well.

#96 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 11 February 2023 - 02:30 PM

A couple shots from one of my many semi-fictional projects that I tinker with when I get bored of useful stuff
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52682386957_c17a0d479c_b.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52682386832_bf06ebd0e0_b.jpg

#97 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 12 February 2023 - 12:50 AM

Very realistic. Like it a lot, thanks.

#98 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 12 February 2023 - 09:10 AM

Very nice, Travis, especially the first shot. I like the dirt road and greenery alongside the tracks. Nicely done!

#99 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 13 February 2023 - 06:02 PM

Great screens, all. :good:

Since october last year I've taken the plunge to recreate the entire world of my fictional story universe and the Dominion Railroad. Some of you have seen it in art form here.
The route covers the entire continent of Olyssia which, for management purposes have been limited to 130 square miles (the world map in the MMO Wildstar on which it is based, is roughly 14 square miles) but it still gives a few hours of operating fun.

Because of the very unique style of the buildings in this universe, every structure and trackside object has to be made from scratch, a massive undertaking. :goodnight:

One of the standard 2-10-2 "bulls" wheels a freight through the countryside towards the region of Ellevar.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/771283943299219459/1074676452919881808/Open_Rails_2023-02-04_12-02-10.png

#100 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 15 February 2023 - 07:22 AM

Quit teasing us, Jon. Can you show us more of this world? It looks nice! Did you undertake this project in OR? :hi:

Meanwhile a westbound way freight passes through Elsweyr Juntion on the mythical modified Puzzle pike.

Attached Image: Open Rails 2023-02-14 02-40-24.jpg

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users