Elvas Tower: Dynamic Track and Narrow Gauge - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dynamic Track and Narrow Gauge DT is always rendered as Standard Gauge Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   mirekkr 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS, MSTS

Posted 03 January 2018 - 02:57 PM

Hi all,
I have downloaded (from trainsim.com) the wonderful White Pass & Yukon River route (thanks Bob for this nice XMas gift!), which has narrow tracks. This route uses dynamic track pieces. To avoid displaying them in OR as standard gauge track, Bob converted them to Dynatrax pieces. But the result is "dual track".
It seems to me that OR always renders the contents of local tsection.dat as standard ("A") gauge pieces. Or: is it possible to correct this by editing some route's data (e.g. the TrackGauge() property from the route.trk file) ?
There is - of course - another answer: not to use dynamic track pieces, but ...

/I've found some workaround by editing the route's acleantrack2.ace, so that those standard gauge rails are no more visible./

With best wishes for the new year,
Mirek

#2 User is offline   mirekkr 

• Hostler

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:58 AM

ok, no answers yet...
So, I dived more into this and found in the source code (class TRProfile):
var gauge = viewer.Simulator.SuperElevationGauge;
Thus, there's better solution to eliminate the incorrect rendering of dynamic track with other gauges than standard: you can set the proper gauge in the OR Options-Superelevation-Gauge option.
But how about reading the value from the route's TRK file rather than from the OR options? I mean the TrackGauge() parameter (which I think is ignored by OR).
Does it sound reasonably?

Best regards,
Mirek

#3 User is offline   jared2982 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS, TS2017, OR

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:14 PM

I’m no expert by any means but that might cause an issue with routes that contain more than one gauge of track.

#4 User is online   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:40 PM

As one who is building a route using the same tools of Dynamic Track and Dynatrax to convert it to 3' narrow gauge I was very concerned by your post, Mirek. So I just downloaded the final version of the WP&YR and ran the whole line from Skagway to Whitehorse at high speed and it was all 3' gauge track. :sweatingbullets: :rolleyes: Whew!

So I suspect it may be something in your system. I ran it on ORTS beta version 4020. The route wouldn't load in MSTS.

#5 User is offline   mirekkr 

• Hostler

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:03 PM

@Jared:
I'm aware of this. I just tried to find a solution - maybe only partial.
(Unfortunately, I don't have a route with more than one gauge with dynamic tracks.)
@atsf37l:
If no one else has this problem, it is possible that I'm the only one. Anyway, some solution exists - see my post #2 here.

Thanks for your answers,
Mirek

#6 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:24 AM

I DLed that route last month and had no issues while running, either. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/pleasantry.gif

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/oldstry.gif

#7 User is offline   mirekkr 

• Hostler

Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:38 AM

Hi all,
I've found the reason of my bad rendering!
To reproduce this, go to OR Options-Experimental tab and set Superelevation level to non-zero value (I use 1). Now, find a piece of track that matches length set in Superelevation option. And - here you are (see attached image).

Regards,
Mirek

Attached File(s)

#8 User is offline   mirekkr 

• Hostler

Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:48 AM

Addendum:
Even if you set the proper gauge (3ft = 914 mm in my case) at te Superelevation option tab, the "phantom rails" are drawn bigger and set higher than the normal track rails - and the track makes "step up/dn" at the connections.

Mirek

#9 User is offline   ATSF 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 27 January 2018 - 05:11 AM

View Postmirekkr, on 03 January 2018 - 02:57 PM, said:

Hi all,
I have downloaded (from trainsim.com) the wonderful White Pass & Yukon River route (thanks Bob for this nice XMas gift!), which has narrow tracks. This route uses dynamic track pieces. To avoid displaying them in OR as standard gauge track, Bob converted them to Dynatrax pieces. But the result is "dual track".
It seems to me that OR always renders the contents of local tsection.dat as standard ("A") gauge pieces. Or: is it possible to correct this by editing some route's data (e.g. the TrackGauge() property from the route.trk file) ?
There is - of course - another answer: not to use dynamic track pieces, but ...

/I've found some workaround by editing the route's acleantrack2.ace, so that those standard gauge rails are no more visible./

With best wishes for the new year,
Mirek

By chance, does your "Dual Track" always appear on bridges?

#10 User is offline   mirekkr 

• Hostler

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:14 AM

...does your "Dual Track" always appear on bridges?
Nope. Bridge rails are ok (the inner pair of rails on bridges is intended to be there). I'm talking about outer pair of rails (see my picture in post #7 here).
By all means, it's the Superelevation (SE) what is responsible for this effect. If you switch SE off (level = 0), the phantom rail disappears. As far as I understand how the SE feature is implemented, it draws another piece of track *over* the existing one.
You can help it by setting the SE gauge value to appropriate width. But (as I wrote above), the result is not much better because SE rails are bigger than the others and if you look closer at the connection you can see a visible difference in the height.
Don't know if this could be easily solved (derive SE rail dimensions from standard track shape?, resize them by the ratio of actual/standard gauge?).

Regards,
Mirek

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users