• You cannot reply to this topic

Going beyond the 4 GB of memory Rate Topic: -----

#251 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:39 AM

View Postjtr1962, on 12 June 2018 - 06:38 PM, said:

Just tried the 4142 version of ORMG. Good news is greatly improved frame rates (~60 versus high 30s to low 40s) compared to regular OR. Bad news is my global setting for antialiasing (which overrides the application settings) don't seem to work with the MG version of OR, although it works just fine with regular OR. That means things like wires are somewhat jagged. I can enable multisampling in the OR video options and it looks great BUT this tanks my frame rates to the high teens. Might it be possible to have another option to select the degree of multisampling (i.e. 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, 32x)? This might let the end user select the best compromise between appearance and performance.

Hi...

ATI video card ? Neal has the same problem - can't get rid of jaggies in Monogame while it works fine with vanilla ORTS...

If your monitor's refresh is 60Hz and you can maintain 60 FPS - try turning on the vsych option for a smoother display reducing micro stutters...

I get substantially better FPS as well..

Regards,
Scott

#252 User is offline   jtr1962 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:25 AM

View Postscottb613, on 13 June 2018 - 05:39 AM, said:

Hi...

ATI video card ? Neal has the same problem - can't get rid of jaggies in Monogame while it works fine with vanilla ORTS...

If your monitor's refresh is 60Hz and you can maintain 60 FPS - try turning on the vsych option for a smoother display reducing micro stutters...

I get substantially better FPS as well..

Regards,
Scott

No video card. I'm using the integrated GPU on my A10-7870K, which is a Radeon R7 with 8 compute cores. The iGPU is actually pretty capable. I typically get frame rates in the 30s to mid 40s most of the time, although this might drop to the mid 20s on the denser part of some routes. Note this is at 1600x1200 with dynamic shadows and shadow for all shapes enabled. I was thrilled when I was getting substantially better frame rates than these with OR MG except for jaggies.

The only way I can get high enough frame rates to use vsych is by turning off dynamic shadows. For example, I was getting well past 100 in ORMG, and around 60 with regular OR. I just find the lack of shadows makes the sim too unrealistic.

Note that AMD's APUs work better with faster RAM. Right now I'm using DDR3-1600. When RAM prices drop I plan to install DDR3-2400. That should increase my frame rates by 20% to 30%. That said, an option to reduce the degree of multisampling would be nice, as it would let users with less powerful systems hit a compromise between appearance and frame rates.

#253 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:41 AM

View Postjtr1962, on 12 June 2018 - 06:38 PM, said:

Might it be possible to have another option to select the degree of multisampling (i.e. 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, 32x)? This might let the end user select the best compromise between appearance and performance.

It's not a bad idea, but I think I don't have the time to develop this. Maybe someone else building the OR MG version.

#254 User is offline   jtr1962 

• Fireman

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:06 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 13 June 2018 - 08:41 AM, said:

It's not a bad idea, but I think I don't have the time to develop this. Maybe someone else building the OR MG version.

Just wondering if perhaps a registry setting, as opposed to adding a menu item, would be easier to code for now.

I'm also wondering how much the graphics engine for OR has been optimized. I know we added instancing, which helps considerably. There might be other tweaks, although obviously I realize this would be a major undertaking (and maybe pointless as fewer and fewer people will have low-spec graphics cards as time goes by).

#255 User is offline   jtr1962 

• Fireman

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:56 PM

Interestingly, even without multisampling Monogame OR mostly looks better than regular OR. I attached two screenshots. First one is regular OR with 2x supersampling. Second one is Monogame OR with multisampling disabled. The track and fence actually look better in OR MG. The catenary looks a little more jagged than regular OR. And sometimes sharp curves in the distance have jagged edges. My guess is 2x or 4x multisampling would clean that up to acceptable levels without a big hit on frame rates. 2x supersampling probably would as well (it works pretty well in regular OR).

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: OR 2xSS.jpg
  • Attached Image: OR MG 4151.jpg

#256 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:55 AM

Started new thread >>> http://www.elvastowe...game-sound-bug/
Any feedback or observations appreciated. I can see the advantages to moving into MG, will be nice when all the kinks are worked out.
Thanks to all who are contributing to this effort ( especially Carlo.)Regards, Gerry

#257 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:15 PM

Maybe a stupid question.
I just did a clean Windows 10 install on a new SSD.
I've installed OR4142_MG on it's own partition. Only thing I've installed so far, other than an antivirus and drivers.
When a try to start OpenRails.exe I get notifications for DotNet and Microsoft XNA.
I thought the whole purpose of Monogame was to do away with the XNA engine.
Is it still required?

Steve

#258 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:19 AM

Was there ever a fix ffor this shader problem that appears in the log when monogame is used? I looked, but I may have missed it.

ParticleEmitterShader.fx(): F:\\OR_MonoGame\\X4142\\Content\\ParticleEmitterShader.fx(127,15-34): warning X3556: integer modulus may be much slower, try using uints if possible.
ParticleEmitterShader.fx(): F:\\OR_MonoGame\\X4142\\Content\\ParticleEmitterShader.fx(128,15-34): warning X3556: integer divides may be much slower, try using uints if possible.
Warning: System.InvalidOperationException: Category does not exist.
at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.GetCategorySample(String machine, String category)
at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterCategory.GetCounterInstances(String categoryName, String machineName)
at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterCategory.GetInstanceNames()
at Orts.Viewer3D.Popups.HUDWindow..ctor(WindowManager owner) in D:\ADRIANA\Carlo\OR_Work\MonoGame_new\Source\RunActivity\Viewer3D\Popups\HUDWindow.cs:line 94
at Orts.Viewer3D.Viewer.Initialize() in D:\ADRIANA\Carlo\OR_Work\MonoGame_new\Source\RunActivity\Viewer3D\Viewer.cs:line 406
at Orts.Viewer3D.Viewer..ctor(Simulator simulator, Game game) in D:\ADRIANA\Carlo\OR_Work\MonoGame_new\Source\RunActivity\Viewer3D\Viewer.cs:line 306
at Orts.Viewer3D.Processes.GameStateRunActivity.Start(UserSettings settings, String acttype, String[] args) in D:\ADRIANA\Carlo\OR_Work\MonoGame_new\Source\RunActivity\Viewer3D\Processes\GameStateRunActivity.cs:line 292
at Orts.Viewer3D.Processes.GameStateRunActivity.<>c__DisplayClass35_0.<Load>b__3() in D:\ADRIANA\Carlo\OR_Work\MonoGame_new\Source\RunActivity\Viewer3D\Processes\GameStateRunActivity.cs:line 150
at Orts.Viewer3D.Processes.GameStateRunActivity.Load() in D:\ADRIANA\Carlo\OR_Work\MonoGame_new\Source\RunActivity\Viewer3D\Processes\GameStateRunActivity.cs:line 191
at Orts.Viewer3D.Processes.LoaderProcess.Load() in D:\ADRIANA\Carlo\OR_Work\MonoGame_new\Source\RunActivity\Viewer3D\Processes\LoaderProcess.cs:line 161
at Orts.Viewer3D.Processes.LoaderProcess.DoLoad() in D:\ADRIANA\Carlo\OR_Work\MonoGame_new\Source\RunActivity\Viewer3D\Processes\LoaderProcess.cs:line 140
at Orts.Viewer3D.Processes.LoaderProcess.LoaderThread() in D:\ADRIANA\Carlo\OR_Work\MonoGame_new\Source\RunActivity\Viewer3D\Processes\LoaderProcess.cs:line 111
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

#259 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:47 AM

I believe that this crash occurs sometimes to someone also in the standard OR version.

#260 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 15 June 2018 - 02:37 PM

I do not experience any crash...game appears fine, I'm not familiar with what the shaders do (create shade??) or add shading textures to shapes? and I really don't have any impression of something missing in the sim --- like buildings being grey or something. So there wasn't a fix?
I did find this >>> Monogame ORTS-Reshade.zip here in a thread, but I have no idea if it pertains the problem described in my log, or if will work with X4142MG?Thanks for the reply Carlo...http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/hi.gif

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users