• You cannot reply to this topic

Open Rails without MSTS What you need Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:27 PM

View Postcharland, on 20 September 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

".....snip..............I don't really like a cluttered desktop but that's a personal thing, so I put the necessary files in a "Open Rails File" folder and am having Andy just out it in Drive:C...........snip........................... Paul :-)

I suggested the desktop only as a temporary residence (i suppose i should have said so) for the LIRR install only because it makes it somewhat easier to inspect the folder structure of an OR only setup. Just trying to make it easier for everyone.
Plus the fact that it's sooo much easier when your done figuring out folder structure to simply move the folder to the location you want.

regards,
vince

#12 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:48 PM

Hi Vince,

He's got the folder in drive C and is now running a train up the DAR... thanks for the help everyone.

I'll have to remember all this stuff for the next time I put a route out to include both installations.

Paul :-)

#13 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:44 PM

View Postvince, on 20 September 2017 - 04:27 PM, said:

I suggested the desktop only as a temporary residence (i suppose i should have said so) for the LIRR install only because it makes it somewhat easier to inspect the folder structure of an OR only setup. Just trying to make it easier for everyone.
Plus the fact that it's sooo much easier when your done figuring out folder structure to simply move the folder to the location you want.

regards,
vince

The Desktop is a sub-sub-sub folder of Users folder. Windows 10 treats the Users folder and sub folders with the same security features as it does Program Files and Program Files (86) folders.

#14 User is offline   jpmackay 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:59 AM

Now I have read all the messages above and go ahead to get mine like this because my program of Microsoft Train Simulator and Microsoft Train Simulator Editor and Tools are not working. Every time I click either one with desktop icon to start and at the end of startup -- CRASH TO DESKTOP. Not sure why? I would prefer to run in Open Rails now not MSTS at all. I am planning to have them in H drive where the program of Open Rails is. Do I have to create the main folder for the four folders ( Routes, Trains, Global and Sound ) in H drive? Also do I have to leave the program of Microsoft Train Simulator for the train.exe? I was going to uninstall the whole program of Microsoft Train Simulator but likely have to have this train.exe in the main folder of Microsoft Train Simulator? Let me know about this.

Your help would be appreciated for this.

John

#15 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:13 AM

If you install MSTS to H drive, you will need all the folders of an ordinary MSTS install. If, however, you want to convert to OR and have the content on H drive, then you would need only the four folders (GLOBAL, ROUTES, SOUND, and TRAINS)

#16 User is offline   jpmackay 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:32 AM

Let me ask you one more time if I understood what you are saying about this. You mentioned that I only need 4 folders in the main program of Microsoft Train Simulator and leave the rest out with other folders like GUI, UTILS, and etc. Is that correct? OK the other files like not the folders but in the main program of Microsoft Train Simulator. I know I have to leave train.exe in the program but not sure about others as well. I just want to make sure I do it right at first time not mess up and have to do all over again.

Thank you again,

John

#17 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:24 AM

If you're using "MSTS" or "MSTS and OR" -

Put everything in the MSTS installation now in a folder on H: drive. Every little thing.

If you're running OR only -

Put the GLOBAL, ROUTES, SOUND and TRAINS folders into a folder on H: drive. Then enter the location of this folder into OR's list so it can find your content

#18 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:25 AM

Breaking down your questions:
1. Having a "holding" folder for the four required folders (Global, Sound, Routes, & Trains) or placing the four folders in the root of Drive H:?
As far as ORTS goes it doesn't matter, BUT it is cleaner and easier to manage with a "holding" folder named as MSTS or Train-Sim. Then if you need to move or copy the files that can be accomplished much easier.
2. Train.exe?
ORTS does NOT requiire this file nor any of the other files that get installed by MSTS. However there are some utilities that recognise an "MSTS" install by the file train.exe. But they can be fooled by just creating a simple TXT file and renaming it to train.exe.
3. Doing an install of MSTS?
Again not required by ORTS. But again some utilities look for an MSTS install by looking in the Registry, Train Store is one.
BUT since you own ConBuilder you can use MSTS Manager to write the needed Registry entries by pointing MSTS Manager to the desired folder and clicking the Change Path button then verifying your selection and the Registry entries will be made.
But that still does not get the Utility applications in the UTILS folder installed which you may need nor the default routes installed for the files needed by the Install.bat files to copy files into freeware routes.

#19 User is offline   kamel 

• Hostler
  • PipPip
  • Group: Status: Fired
  • Simulator:open rail

Posted 12 November 2018 - 03:55 AM

View Postcharland, on 20 September 2017 - 03:53 AM, said:

Morning All,

I'm trying to help a friend set up Open Rails, he doesn't have MSTS. I'm surprised there is no guide to do this, or maybe there is somewhere, not sure.

Can someone lost what needs to be done in order to get Open Rails set up properly to run on it's own? What folders need to be created and where they should go, where to put New Roads and xTracks, that sort of thing.

Paul :-)

On the open rail sithttp://openrails.org/e there is an installation guide to download.

#20 User is offline   stlsf4003 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 12 November 2018 - 01:21 PM

View Postkamel, on 12 November 2018 - 03:55 AM, said:

On the open rail sithttp://openrails.org/e there is an installation guide to download.

You'er a bit late to the party Kamel.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users