• You cannot reply to this topic

Open Rails without MSTS What you need Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:53 AM

Morning All,

I'm trying to help a friend set up Open Rails, he doesn't have MSTS. I'm surprised there is no guide to do this, or maybe there is somewhere, not sure.

Can someone lost what needs to be done in order to get Open Rails set up properly to run on it's own? What folders need to be created and where they should go, where to put New Roads and xTracks, that sort of thing.

Paul :-)

#2 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:25 AM

hi Paul,

You need these folders only (located OUTSIDE the programs folder):
ROUTE
TRAINS
GLOBAL
SOUND

It is helpful for route riter and a few other utilities to create a blank text file called train.exe as these programs look for it.

Then there is the matter of the content IN those folders wanted by routes: default stuff, Xtracks, Scale Rail, New Roads, etc. There are a few routes in trainsim.com set up as mini-routes before open rails came along that have a fully stocked Global and sound folder since it was assumed everyone had those if they MSTS in the first place. The Monson route comes to mind. It might be ethically questionable to even mention this, although it's not like I'm cheating microsoft out of MSTS sales with this information. Default rolling stock has replacements in the trainsim.com library (wouldn't run the original stuff anyway, but some activities want it) and some sounds or cabviews are called on by other engines (but can be replaced)

#3 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:47 AM

Hi Chris,

OK, all these folders just go loose into Program Files or should the all go into a single folder that goes inside Program Files? What would be the name of that folder if that's the case?

If New Roads and xTracks are already in the Global>Shape folder and are the current releases, does he still need to download them... I'm thinking no?

Right now he's mainly interested in the DAR seeing as he's from the same area I lived in but I'm sure that will change over time. I can't see him getting into any of the old route that rely on default rolling stock or things like that.

I guess the one thing I need to know is if these folders go into one main folder and what the name of that should be.

#4 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:36 AM

Paul,

If you're friend is running Win 7 or newer, I wouldn't touch Program Files even if I had a few armored divisions and an air force behind me. What I have done, especially with mini-routes, is put those folders in a folder in the root of the drive (C:/Deva-Tirgu_Jiu/GLOBAL, etc., for example), with all the necessary folders for the route in that folder. I have an MSTS installation, and I gave that the same treatment (C:/MSTS). Everything works like a charm

#5 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:36 AM

View Postcharland, on 20 September 2017 - 05:47 AM, said:

Hi Chris,

OK, all these folders just go loose into Program Files or should the all go into a single folder that goes inside Program Files? What would be the name of that folder if that's the case?

If New Roads and xTracks are already in the Global>Shape folder and are the current releases, does he still need to download them... I'm thinking no?

Right now he's mainly interested in the DAR seeing as he's from the same area I lived in but I'm sure that will change over time. I can't see him getting into any of the old route that rely on default rolling stock or things like that.

I guess the one thing I need to know is if these folders go into one main folder and what the name of that should be.

Hi Paul,
If you look at the way the Long Island Rail Road unpacks during installation all is there that is needed to run ANY route.

All your questions on how / what / where folders & files go and how they are arranged are there for your inspection after the install completes.
Nothing else is needed. No batch files to run.

Simply read the instructions and install the LIRR into a folder on your desktop
for easy inspection.
The route will run error free and any route you copy into the routes folder of the install will be runable with Open Rails when you direct Open Rails to the desktop install.

regards,
vince

#6 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:07 AM

OK, I went and read the installation instruction's in Vince's route, I have all this in a folder waiting to be zipped up and sent out but...

Is this folder just going to is on his desktop? This would be used by every route, should this have some sort of name that OR recognizes? Do all routes go into this folder?

I've not done this myself as I'm still creating routes in MS Route Editor, so have MSTS still installed. Andy is starting from zero and will only have OR.

Thanks for the help.

#7 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:48 AM

I never install anything to the desktop, I don't think that's a good practice to follow, exception would be for temporary install only.
You can place a route wherever you want. I put the LIRR, after downloading and following the install instructions into a folder named "LIRR" .
Path on C drive ( for work, maintenance, testing, etc.) C:\2TS\LIRR. C:\2TS has about 40 other folders, a folder can contain from one route to 10.
Path on F (SSD for running OR): F:\2TSF\LIRR
1TS on both the C and F drives contain the GLOBAL, SOUND, and all common folders [.SND, .CAB, and .Std (thanks to dave) ] - linked to the route installations (call them OR profiles, mini-routes, whatever - all the same thing) through the use of junction points.
Plus - I have two backup drives which duplicate everthing. C\2TS is the main work place, F\2TSF is the running drive. Everything flows from C to F and is backed up on E and I drives.

Check out the screenshot for the LIRR on the backup drive, hope this helps.

Attached File(s)

#8 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:29 AM

Thanks everyone, thanks for the show and tell Jerry. Looks simple enough, just didn't want to get this guy screwed up while trying to help him.

#9 User is offline   bennycdn 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:OPENRAILS/RUN8

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:17 PM

Paul
Download that LIRR route for yourself and your friend,it installs right onto your desktop,you can use it as a learning tool for the ORTS setup and it's a pretty good route. Benny

#10 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:04 PM

Hi Benny,

I think I have this covered. I don't really like a cluttered desktop but that's a personal thing, so I put the necessary files in a "Open Rails File" folder and am having Andy just out it in Drive:C. He'll still have a shortcut to Open Rails on his desktop and will just need to point Open Rails to this folder no different then I had to point it to MSTS. Aside from that everything else is as Vince suggested.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users