New Consist Editor for Open Rails Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:39 PM

Well, an interesting start for sure.

Goku, after I finish typing this I'm going to prepare a zip file for you containing some .wags. You'll find it in a PM later today.

Some constructive feedback:

The display of the rolling stock in the large window is a pleasant surprise -- large and sharp. It can be improved by the addition of two features: (1) display the freight animation file too and (2) let the end user alter the background color. The black looks good in most instances but I've noticed when the model is also true black much of it just disappears. If setting our own background is too much then for myself I'd vote for a dark charcoal... just so long as it isn't pure black.

You're not picking up and reading the include files (I'll put some into a zip file for your testing).

Many of us have multiple directory installations (I have 16). It would be very nice to be able to change the target directory in the user interface instead of exiting and editing a text file.

Some questions:

I didn't discover any means to delete a .wag from the consist list. Has that code been done yet?

One of the filters is marked "Broken". What is that?

A majority of existing consists did not display all of the rolling stock. What causes you to skip a line in a .con file?

#32 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:15 PM

View PostGoku, on 25 May 2016 - 03:19 PM, said:

I didn't wanted to change the version number because it is Route Editor version number and there was no changes in it. I need to rethink the numeration.

It would be nice if you could send me some 'broken' wag/eng files. Broken file is the last filepath in log before crash.

I know MaxVelocity is not right. I do not know right equation for it yet, but I will fix it later.

Well this time it loaded my Main Install. Same second try. Third time it stopped again. Attached is ENG file it stopped on.

Fourth time Stopped on same file. 5th time it opened completely.

Ran the ENG in OR. Log shows about 32 warnings like this:
Warning: Hierarchy element 1 out of range (expected -1 to 8; got -2) in distance level 1 in shape a:\1msts\trains\trainset\cp9001\cp9001.s
But no other Warnings or Errors for the ENG.

Attached File(s)

#33 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:37 PM

I see that one can Edit the Name line and other items for the selected rolling stock item, BUT how does the edits get saved? I tried editing but the changes were not saved.

How does one change the colors used with the editor? Why change? Look at any of the screen shots in this thread and see how hard it is to see the drag bar to slide the lists up and down. The drag bars HAVE to be used as neither the up/down arrows nor the page up/down keys do not cause the lists to scroll.

#34 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:00 PM

To add to Dave's Constructive Criticism:
First I second Dave's comments about the background color and the ability to change the Target Directory. I beta test for 3 different vendors and I maintain separate installs for each when testing rolling stock and make a mini install for each route that I beta test.

I notice after turning the object then selecting a new object the new object was oriented just like the previous one was left. Would be nice to have a reset button to reorient the item to the original position.

In the detail display of information for the item it would be helpful to display the Trainset folder name and filename for the item.

#35 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:19 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 25 May 2016 - 04:39 PM, said:

The display of the rolling stock in the large window is a pleasant surprise -- large and sharp. It can be improved by the addition of two features: (1) display the freight animation file too and (2) let the end user alter the background color.

1. If you mean "Freightanim" second shape, it displays correctly in my all eng files.
2. OK. For now you can change the editor colors to white (or other system colors) by setting:
systemTheme = true
In settings.txt
http://i.imgur.com/BbXRZod.png

Many of us have multiple directory installations (I have 16). It would be very nice to be able to change the target directory in the user interface instead of exiting and editing a text file.

Window like in my Route Editor will be good enough?

I didn't discover any means to delete a .wag from the consist list. Has that code been done yet?

Select item in 3d view and press Delete key. Or go to View->Consist Units, select item and press Delete button.

One of the filters is marked "Broken". What is that?

You will find here consists with missing rolling stock.
http://i.imgur.com/CkMGk4G.png

A majority of existing consists did not display all of the rolling stock. What causes you to skip a line in a .con file?

It is because of eng/wag loading errors. In View->Consist Units should be all items. 3d consist view requires proper eng/wag files.

Fourth time Stopped on same file. 5th time it opened completely.

You mean it worked one time with your Main Install? If so, it means there is array overflow error while loading eng files and won't be that easy to find ENG file causing it.

I see that one can Edit the Name line and other items for the selected rolling stock item, BUT how does the edits get saved? I tried editing but the changes were not saved.

Filemane, total mass, eng mass etc can't be saved.

I notice after turning the object then selecting a new object the new object was oriented just like the previous one was left. Would be nice to have a reset button to reorient the item to the original position.

In the detail display of information for the item it would be helpful to display the Trainset folder name and filename for the item.

Ok, that's easy to do. I only need to find nice place for it.
.. but first the most important thing is to find eng/wag loading bug.

#36 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:03 AM

On my system the enlarged view of the loco/wagon faces a different way the that in the consist view (when it is not flipped). Is this normal?

#37 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:18 AM

View PostGoku, on 26 May 2016 - 03:19 AM, said:

Filemane, total mass, eng mass etc can't be saved.

Then why are we able to edit? All the more reason that the path and filename need to be displayed.

#38 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:24 AM

View PostGoku, on 26 May 2016 - 03:19 AM, said:

1. If you mean "Freightanim" second shape, it displays correctly in my all eng files.
2. OK. For now you can change the editor colors to white (or other system colors) by setting:
systemTheme = true
In settings.txt

You mean it worked one time with your Main Install? If so, it means there is array overflow error while loading eng files and won't be that easy to find ENG file causing it.

systemTheme is already "= True" BUT we cannot change colors.

-------------------

Yes failure sometimes occurs and sometimes it doesn't but always stops on same file the one I attached above. Removal of the ENG's folder from the Trainset and it always loads completely.

#39 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:36 AM

View Postcr-stagg, on 26 May 2016 - 04:18 AM, said:

Then why are we able to edit? All the more reason that the path and filename need to be displayed.

Quote from my 1st post:

It is not finished, but still very fun to use.

----------

View Postcr-stagg, on 26 May 2016 - 04:24 AM, said:

systemTheme is already "= True" BUT we cannot change colors.

Remove # before SystemTheme setting. # means comment.

View Postcr-stagg, on 26 May 2016 - 04:24 AM, said:

Yes failure sometimes occurs and sometimes it doesn't but always stops on same file the one I attached above. Removal of the ENG's folder from the Trainset and it always loads completely.

I will look at this file.

#40 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:56 AM

This cp9001.ENG file is fine. I made mistake that console shows file path after loading finished, not before, so ENG which I need is one after cp9001.ENG. Probably it is in the same folder. If you don't know which is it, I will upload updated version.

• 46 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users