• You cannot reply to this topic

Scenery object "flashes" Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 05 April 2016 - 01:49 PM

Hi Sid,

Saw that too. On some routes like the DAR that flashes as well, I used the MSTS water with three layers, the top being semi-transparent. On the Conn River that isn't flashing I used the same ace file for the top and mid layers and deleted the bottom layer.

Paul :-)

#12 User is offline   Monty 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:35 PM

I have had this flashing also but found it could be greatly reduced if the ACE file was one that was originally saved with alpha + trans was saved again with only the alpha channel and no trans. At times it does not get rid of all flashing but greatly reduced. This also helps with the shimmering affect I have seen on some rolling stock ace files that have alpha + trans in their texture files. Have noticed no degrade of texture quality when running OR after doing this.

#13 User is online   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:24 PM

To clarify a bit, what I see is not like flashing water, it is a momentary "flash" of a large, distorted size texture--say, of a building--that flashes across my whole screen. Moving the camera position slightly may or may not stop it. It's bizarre and distracting because one never knows when it's going to occur.

#14 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:06 PM

View PostMonty, on 05 April 2016 - 02:35 PM, said:

I have had this flashing also but found it could be greatly reduced if the ACE file was one that was originally saved with alpha + trans was saved again with only the alpha channel and no trans.

I don't follow what you're saying here. If you're talking about what TGATools2 refers to as "Alpha" and "Trans" export modes, they're mutually exclusive.
Both of these terms refer to the alpha (transparency) channel. "Trans" mode provides for a 1-bit alpha channel--each pixel is either fully opaque or fully transparent. "Alpha" mode provides for 8-bits (4 in MSTS) of varying degrees of transparency.

View Postrailguy, on 05 April 2016 - 03:24 PM, said:

To clarify a bit, what I see is not like flashing water, it is a momentary "flash" of a large, distorted size texture--say, of a building--that flashes across my whole screen. Moving the camera position slightly may or may not stop it. It's bizarre and distracting because one never knows when it's going to occur.

I have commonly seen a flickering/shimmering effect on Forest objects for sure.. not certain about other objects. I've never noticed any representation of a distortion of the texture image in the flickering, but it's always struck me as the objects that are undergoing this effect are flickering visible and invisible. This doesn't seem to be dependent on the camera angle and constantly occurs for some objects. I can usually ignore it, though, and haven't given much thought about why or when this occurs.

#15 User is offline   jamesc25313 

• Hostler

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:15 PM

Once again, saving ace files with AceIt using RGB+Alpha (8bit alpha) reduces flickering dramatically in all instances I've ever used it. It doesnt work one hundred percent of the time, but close for me at least. TGATool2 still gives me the flickering effect, thats why I specified AceIt, which for whatever reason, works a lot better.

#16 User is offline   jamesc25313 

• Hostler

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:17 PM

View Postrailguy, on 05 April 2016 - 03:24 PM, said:

Only thing that comes to mind is Z-fighting, or moire.

#17 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:58 PM

View Postjamesc25313, on 05 April 2016 - 04:15 PM, said:

Once again, saving ace files with AceIt using RGB+Alpha (8bit alpha) reduces flickering dramatically in all instances I've ever used it. It doesnt work one hundred percent of the time, but close for me at least. TGATool2 still gives me the flickering effect, thats why I specified AceIt, which for whatever reason, works a lot better.

Or one could use the TGATools2A version which directly calls Ace-It.
I wonder if Re-Mip-It would help that problem.

#18 User is offline   jamesc25313 

• Hostler

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:14 PM

View Postjovet, on 05 April 2016 - 04:58 PM, said:

Or one could use the TGATools2A version which directly calls Ace-It.
I wonder if Re-Mip-It would help that problem.

TGATools2A is what I'm using, sorry. Exporting as Ace (Alpha) with mip maps on off off didn't make a difference in flickering. The way I'm going about it is saving as a tga with mip maps off, with whichever exporter of choice (dxtbmp, tgatools2a ect.) and exporting once again as ace with AceIt. Why it works (sort of) in one program and not the other, I dont know.

#19 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:22 PM

I have also seen flashing, most particularly on Trees. They seem to flicker at only particular camera angle. Sometimes they also seems to lost their alpha channel and display as square textured plane. For me its only trees, nothing else (so far) flickers or displayed this type of things.... This is with Nvidia GT 610 GPU

#20 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:48 PM

I have seen this sort of problem in MSTS, it had something to do with compressed W files and certain ACE files. It was unofficially called 'The flying trees syndome'. My routes where this happens in MSTS does not happen in OR.

In OR, i've only seen this sort of scenery flash once. A moving car crossing over a bridge, i had that car texture for a second or so in my cab view.

Although i haven't seen that problem since, i do get white flashes frequently in the cab view.

Thanks

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users