Elvas Tower: What about loading coal in a coal train? - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What about loading coal in a coal train? Rate Topic: -----

#81 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:24 AM

And then there is the animation of opening the door and throwing the mailsack out the door at stations not stopped at.

This all sounds pretty darn cool if it could be done!

Christopher

#82 User is offline   StationWhere 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:00 AM

Bonjour.

View Postmidneguy, on 24 February 2016 - 08:20 PM, said:

... I thought I'd ask if there might be a possibility to add MAIL as something that can be picked up in addition to the freight options...?

In the Eng_and_wag_file_reference_guide The 'How to' serie registered upon CDs of MSTS, you can read:

Type can be:FreightGrain FreightCoal FreightGravel FreightSand FuelWater FuelCoal FuelDiesel SpecialMail
But never implemented indeed!
Regards

#83 User is offline   istvanek 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:04 PM

Just a thought came on me when I saw 'dancing' EOT when new vibration feature is enabled - what do you think about FreightAnim which can be attached and detached during gameplay? It might be very useful for EOT, end of train signs, flags and other stuff usually attached or detached by train crew. What we need is a toggle switch under F9 menu to toggle different FreightAnims: all off>first on>second on>.....>all off. This will solve some problems with very short cars and/or decrease number of eng files needed for the same car (with and without eot signs). You could define EOT device on both car ends and turn on the one you wish to.

Does it make sense?

#84 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:22 AM

I've finally got around to using this excellent feature. After reading the manual and using the include file, i now have coal that unloads from the bottom of a hopper wagon.

A have a few questions. The train in question is a MGR, which does not stop to unload the coal.

1. Can the coal be unloaded below 1 mph. YES

2. Can the time to unload the coal be adjusted.

3. Can the coal be unloaded automatically with one key press for the complete train, ie for 36 wagons once over the pickup point.

4. Are there any sound effects implemented for the coal unloading.

5. Can the coal freight animation, reduce in size automatically when unloading.

Thanks

#85 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:43 AM

View Postistvanek, on 08 March 2016 - 12:04 PM, said:

Just a thought came on me when I saw 'dancing' EOT when new vibration feature is enabled - what do you think about FreightAnim which can be attached and detached during gameplay? It might be very useful for EOT, end of train signs, flags and other stuff usually attached or detached by train crew. What we need is a toggle switch under F9 menu to toggle different FreightAnims: all off>first on>second on>.....>all off. This will solve some problems with very short cars and/or decrease number of eng files needed for the same car (with and without eot signs). You could define EOT device on both car ends and turn on the one you wish to.

Does it make sense?

Check out this thread >>> http://www.elvastowe...__1#entry202009

#86 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:54 AM

Happy to see that you are using that.

Here the answers:
1. Yes, with the same procedure used to define this for loading
2. No, unless edwardk has added this feature
3. No
4. The sounds are played that are used also for loading the same type of load. The names of the .sms files are defined in the .trk file (same file for loading and unloading).
5. The freight animation can only lower its height, not its dimensions.

#87 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:13 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 16 June 2016 - 11:54 AM, said:

Here the answers:
3. No
4. The sounds are played that are used also for loading the same type of load. The names of the .sms files are defined in the .trk file (same file for loading and unloading).

Thank for the answers.

On question 1, I just achieved this by setting -0.8 to 0.8 mph in the pick up speed range box.

On question 2, I was experimenting with the pickup, changing the fill rate with a higher minus number hoping this could be achieved. On the real thing, the coal on these hoppers drops quite quickly.

On question 3, This is automatic on the real thing.

On question 4, I completely forgot about the SMS files for these features.

On question 5, the wagons are not completely square but slant inwards towards the bottom. I could try to rezize the coal for a visual compromise.

Thanks

#88 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 17 June 2016 - 05:58 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 16 June 2016 - 11:54 AM, said:

Here the answers:
3. No

This is to reply to #2. When updating the refueling the process, I did adjust the last parameter in FuelController which is located in MSTSDieselLocomotive.cs. Doing so allowed me to add a bit more time to the fueling time since it was much too quick initially. You created WeightLoadController with the last parameter of 0.01f. In my case, I changed the last parameter to 0.0025f so if you want to adjust the loading/unloading time, change the last parameter. As it is now, I am not sure how the controller parameter can be used to allow for accurate fueling due to overall fuel pressure.

Edward K.

#89 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 17 June 2016 - 07:58 AM

The good thing would be to take into consideration the "fill rate" parameter (see second screenshot in the first post of this thread) therefore allowing for adjustable fill rate.

#90 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 18 June 2016 - 11:59 AM

The hopper wagon( HAAs) i use have 3 separate compartments. These are side panels so the coal will drop one load at a time over the unload point.

If i use 3 continuous FA in one wagon, will i need to press the T key three times, or will they drop simultaneously?

I know someone else asked this question regarding this feature, including myself, but are there any plans for the coal to be loaded/unloaded automatically, once over the pickup?

With wagons that have to stop to unloaded, this would not really be necessary, but for wagons that unload the coal at very low speeds, this would be ideal.

Thanks

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users