Elvas Tower: Using a Tender Freight Animation to place loco Footplate Crew - Elvas Tower

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Using a Tender Freight Animation to place loco Footplate Crew Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:36 AM

Hi Carlo,
I've used your new RunActivity.exe/RunActivityLAA.exe in X3228. The crew now appear in the cab, but they are up to their knees in the floor! The first parameter doesn't seem to have been used to raise the shape appropriately.

If we can get that sorted, I'll run some full tests with crew and fuel load FAs

Cheers,
Ged

#22 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:44 AM

For years I've added extra shapes to engines that already have " freight anims " by using , as was suggested already , a miniscule engine for extra working exhausts or a wagon ( tender ) to add an extra shape such as a " feedwater " . OR already has the extra exhaust problem solved so the crew etc could still be added by the extra " tender " , hidden inside the rear engine coupler . The closer to the location of the crew gives less movement on curves , that's why foot plates slice through the sides of cabs if they are set too far back.

Just a thought !

#23 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:54 AM

Personal choice. I have never liked the solution and never used them. They also cause problems in OR, not all of them, but there have already been some that have caused special code to be added to deal with them.

I am not particularly bothered by the lack of a crew, after all, I am the crew.

Open Rails is not a very forgiving program where modelling mistakes have been made. I spent a few hours yesterday correcting a shape error that affected most of my A4 class caused by not naming a part correctly when the model was made.

#24 User is offline   JohnnyS 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR/MSTS

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:54 AM

View Postslipperman, on 01 September 2015 - 05:23 AM, said:

Hi JohnnyS,
When using Shape Viewer, you are applying the 0.0 3.0 0.0 values to x, y and z axes. They are not used for that in the tender FA, whether it's for diminishing fuel load or crew.

Cheers,
Ged

Hi Ged,

Sorry for confusion, with 0.0 3.0 0.0 I was speculating (thinking out loud?) about Copperpens post #17...

The crew FAs were originally made to be used in an eng file, so a 3 axis positioning was required. Subsequently when engines began to emerge with an FA carrying the details like handrails and pipes etc, the crew FA no longer had a home. Nearly all tenders have not had an animated fuel load, so the crew animation was moved there instead. MSTS being what it is accepted those with no problems.

...in my subsequent post with the Sviewer picture, I haven't moved the FA, it is at 0 0 0.

Cheers,
J.

#25 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:55 AM

View Postslipperman, on 01 September 2015 - 05:36 AM, said:

Hi Carlo,
I've used your new RunActivity.exe/RunActivityLAA.exe in X3228. The crew now appear in the cab, but they are up to their knees in the floor! The first parameter doesn't seem to have been used to raise the shape appropriately.

If we can get that sorted, I'll run some full tests with crew and fuel load FAs

Cheers,
Ged

This leads me back to the supposition that they are not correctly placed in the beginning.

#26 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:05 AM

Ged,
thank you for having tested that.
Let's have a second trial here, that should solve the problem of the vertical position of the crews

I'm anxious about the result of your test.

Carlo

File deleted, as a new one has been attached to a later post.

#27 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:26 PM

Hi Carlo,
Apologies for the late reply, but I've been doing some preliminary testing!!
Thanks for the new RunActivity, but, unfortunately, the crew are still sunk into the cab floor.

Cheers,
Ged

#28 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 02 September 2015 - 06:48 AM

Sorry, but by the moment I'm not able to go beyond this, even if I'll try a bit more. Is it worth committing this partial result, so that at least crew is no more moved in front of the loco, or is it better to leave everything unchanged?

I'd like only to add something: if I open with ShapeViewer the tender of the 45662 this is what I see:
Attached Image: high.jpg

The crew is far from the tender, at the position where also OR sees it.

#29 User is offline   Brace_2011 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:06 AM

Carlo

Thanks for trying to fix this. As I said in my earlier post (perhaps I appeared a little terse in that post, for which I apologise), and as Ged said in post #1, this has been fixed once before.

If it helps, looking back through my records, the fix was incorporated in version r2636 posted by Peter Gulyas on 10 November 2014. I, and others, tested it pretty thoroughly and found that the crews appeared correctly in game. Where coal loads were incorporated instead they diminished correctly, and Freight Animations included in 'normal (non-tender) wagons and loco's also worked properly.

If you still have access to r2636 (which addressed only this issue as far as I can tell), there may be some helpful clues in there.

Martin

#30 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:56 AM

Hi Gentlemen,
Carlo : Shape Viewer uses 3 parameters to position a shape (x, y, z). Tender FAs are different to those for other vehicles in that the first 2 parameters indicate the shape's initial and final positions, both in relation to its origin. See my full report regarding the third parameter, if present, and what I suspect is the purpose of the second parameter (3.0).

If the vertical position of the crew cannot be fixed in the short term, I'd prefer your latest version, which puts the crew in the cab, to be implemented. Thanks.

Martin : Thanks, mate. I don't have r2636, but I do have the weekly version which came out after that, 2647 (14 Nov 2014); unfortunately, I don't have the source files.

Cheers,
Ged

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users