Elvas Tower: Using a Tender Freight Animation to place loco Footplate Crew - Elvas Tower

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Using a Tender Freight Animation to place loco Footplate Crew Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:21 AM

Hi,
Where a steam loco already has a Freight Animation, it has become widespread practice to place the crew on the footplate using a Freight Animation linked to the tender. This works without any problem with MSTS, but under Open Rails, the crew are sometimes shown against or within the front of the boiler or smokebox. The "sometimes" is when the first parameter of the FA is non-zero, which is used to accurately position the crew. Also, some of the FAs have 2 and some have 3 parameters. This was originally reported as bug 1322334 (22 May 2014) and fixed 10 Nov 2014; it reappeared and was re-reported as bug 1417231 (2 Feb 2015).

I did some in-depth testing and created the report shown below. Please note that my tests were to determine the effects of various parameter values when using MSTS in order to provide a base-line for Open Rails.

FREIGHT ANIMATION
After the recent problems encountered with Open Rails when using a Freight Animation (FA) in a tender to place the loco crew on the footplate, I thought I'd try and solve the one main question I had. Checking all the documentation available on the internet together with trawling the UKTS and trainsim.com Forums and not finding the answer, I did some testing myself.

My question was :- Why are there sometimes three parameters after the shape file name and at other times, only two?
The documentation I found gave the first as the shape's starting position, in metres, relative to its origin and the second as it's final position, again in metres, relative to its origin. There is no general mention of a third parameter, except in the odd Forum post, where it has been called "step".

In my tests, I have discovered that Freight Animations are treated differently for tenders than for other vehicles.

Tenders
First numeric parameter : Shape starting position relative to its origin, in metres
Second numeric parameter : Final position of shape, relative to its origin, in metres.
Third numeric parameter : set to any positive value, or omitted, causes the shape to drop - see below.
As long as the second parameter is lower than the first and the third parameter is either omitted or has a non-zero value, the shape will drop, based on distance travelled.
If the second parameter is not lower than the first, no movement will take place irrespective of the 3rd parameter.
The value entered as the third parameter doesn't seem to have any effect on the rate that the shape moves down, but needs a great deal more testing to be certain.

Numeric values of zero, eg ( 8F.s 0.0 0.0 0 ), is valid, and it's not necessary to show decimal points - may be ( 8F.s 0 0 0 )

ODD fact : If the first parameter has a negative value, to place it below its origin, and the third parameter is either omitted, or has a non-zero value, the shape will rise, presumably to it's original position, irrespective of the value in the second parameter. I can't think of a use for this, but no doubt, somebody will!!

Other Vehicles
First numeric parameter : Not used, but must be present as a "place-holder" for the second parameter.
Second numeric parameter : Must be any non-zero value - has no effect on position, but if zero, the shape doesn't show.
Third numeric parameter : Not used.

Conclusion
I discovered why some have two and others have three parameters; also, that some which have three only need two, eg 8F.s 0 3.0 0.0 could be 8F.s 0 3.0, 8F.s 0 1, or even 8F.s 0 0. In those examples, the 2nd parameter is NOT less than the first, so no movement will occur and the 3rd can be omitted, even though it defaults to a positive value.

To complete the "picture", the screenshot shows the effect in Open Rails of having the first parameter non-zero, but the FA's new position bears no relation to its value. All crews are shown correctly when using MSTS.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: BTB-FootplateCrew.jpg

#2 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:40 AM

Ged,

What loco is that with the crew out front?.

#3 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:12 AM

Hi,
The centre loco is Jubilee class 45662, available in UKTS file ID 23425 Bristol Jubilees - FreightAnim ( "..\\common.crew\\BA_1\\ccw_8F.s" 0.25 3.0 0.0 ).

46206 is from UKTS file ID 22655 CCW_BR_8'P'_46206 - FreightAnim ( "..\\common.crew\\BA_1\\ccw_8F.s" 0.25 3.0 0.0 ). There are no quotes around the P but without them, an emoticon is displayed!

The third loco is Black 5 44851, from UKTS file ID 25382 Derby Black 5s - FreightAnim ( "..\\common.crew\\BA_1\\ccw_8F.s" 0 3.0 0.0 ) - the crew is shown correctly due to the first parameter being 0 (zero).

Changing the first parameter to zero for the first two locos places the crew correctly in the cab, but knee deep in the footplate! This can be corrected using Shape File Manager, but it's outside the abilities of many users.

Cheers,
Ged

#4 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:44 AM

I think what your talking about is the coal load in tenders and it's usage as the locomotive is putting on the miles. It was supposed to work in MSTS but never did. And apparently by what your saying is that OR has this feature working now which is fantastic for builders and the coal load going down and having to be refilled but not so great for the crew who are laying down on the job. :lol2:

I couldn't find a tender with a FA in it. But I do remember a tender with a FA that had one of those lines. It would have to be modified to minimize the movement of the crew but will also limit the coal load dropping as the coal would be used.

This will be a problem until they find a way to have multiple FA's associated with one main shape.

Mostly this thing with attaching a crew to tenders came about to add crews to existing locomotives with out that feature. Many of those builders of old aren't with us any more. Most of my builds include the crew as part of a larger FA shape for the locomotive. I believe Derek Miller does this too.

Allen

Delete edit

#5 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:35 AM

Hi Allen,
The important difference is between the first and second parameters; for a genuine fuel load FA, the first parameter (starting position) will always be higher than the second parameter (final position) and if the third parameter is non-zero, or omitted, the fuel load will drop (it does work in MSTS).

For crew FAs, the second parameter often seems to be set to 3.0. I haven't found the reason for this, except maybe it was an arbitrary value chosen to ensure it was always higher than the first parameter. It makes no difference to the crew FA whether the third parameter is positive, negative or zero.

The puzzle, to me, is why, with a first parameter of zero the crew FA is correctly shown whereas with a value of 0.25 it's shown widely out of position, it is, after all, less than 10 inches!

Cheers,
Ged

#6 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:50 AM

The reducing coal level tender FA has always worked in MSTS, the Flying Scotsman has it. It will only work IN OR if set up as such as well.

Ged

The crew animations were originally made as an FA for the eng file and as such the recommended usage is FreightAnim ( "..\\common.crew\\BA_1\\8F.s" 0 3.0 0.0 )

These where positioned correctly using them as a tender FA also work using FreightAnim ( "..\\common.crew\\BA_1\\8F.s" 0 3.0 0.0 ) I therefore submit that any engine using a tender FA to position the crew that does not have the common position data of 0 3.0 0.0 or 0 3 0 does not have a correctly positioned FA. Should we be pushing for OR to correct errors of this nature?.

#7 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:23 AM

Okay Copper! You got me. :lol2:

I've never been able to get the coal load to go down in a tender. So for me it never worked. That's just my opinion.

Where's this ( 0 3.0 0 ) that your talking about. Below is the shape location for the Scottsman tender.

CentreOfGravity ( 0m 1.90m 0m )

This is it's FA line for the coal load. What number controls it's location and eventual end position.

FreightAnim( scotcoal.s 2.2 0 )

Respectfully

Allen

#8 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:37 AM

Hi copperpen.
I understand your points, but I don't consider having the first parameter non-zero to be an error. Rather, it is utilising the same shape file for several locos with slightly different positioning requirements, which is an excellent use for parameters.

More importantly, I'd like to know the answer to my last question :

why, with a first parameter of zero the crew FA is correctly shown whereas with a value of 0.25 it's shown widely out of position, it is, after all, less than 10 inches!

Could it be that with the first parameter being non-zero, the second parameter is being used to position the shape? If so, that is incorrect because the second parameter is used, in a tender FA, to indicate the height of the shape at its lowest position, but only if the third parameter is non-zero, or omitted.

Cheers,
Ged

#9 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:44 AM

Hi Allen,

This is it's FA line for the coal load. What number controls it's location and eventual end position.

FreightAnim( scotcoal.s 2.2 0 )

The first parameter, 2.2, specifies the position of the shape relative to its origin - in this case 2.2m above its base position
The second parameter, 0, specifies that its final position will be at the origin of the shape.
There is no third parameter, which defaults to non-zero and means that the coal load will appear to drop. Be aware that it takes a very long run to even see a small drop!!

Cheers,
Ged

#10 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:24 PM

View Postslipperman, on 31 August 2015 - 11:37 AM, said:

Hi copperpen.
I understand your points, but I don't consider having the first parameter non-zero to be an error. Rather, it is utilising the same shape file for several locos with slightly different positioning requirements, which is an excellent use for parameters.

More importantly, I'd like to know the answer to my last question :

Could it be that with the first parameter being non-zero, the second parameter is being used to position the shape? If so, that is incorrect because the second parameter is used, in a tender FA, to indicate the height of the shape at its lowest position, but only if the third parameter is non-zero, or omitted.

Cheers,
Ged

We already have different crew FAs for different engines. Surely the simple solution would be to take the 8F shape, rename it and reposition it for those engines that the original does not fit.

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users