Elvas Tower: Include files - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Include files Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:11 PM

View Postcr-stagg, on 23 August 2015 - 04:27 AM, said:

You are wrong those CEs do know Open Rails. It is when you remove the Parameters that they use from the ENG/WAG files and put them in the Include files that they have problems.

They might "know" Open Rails but they are not fully/correctly supporting it unless they cope with any part of the file being Include()d. There are quite possibly some places in OR where we don't cope with specific things being Include()d too, and those are bugs just like they are in the CEs.

#12 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:42 AM

Hmmmmmmmmmm, Just checked this thread for the first time and in fact have never run into this problem inspite of heavily using include files. The reason is is that I run an OR only install., ie I have msts data files (GLOBAL ROUTES TRAINS and SOUND) but MSTS it self is not present. To construct consist I have an MSTS only install on one of my Linux machines, this install of course uses the standard wag and eng files.. The MSTS editor and tools is run under wine, the resulting created files, consist, paths, service etc is copied over to my OR install.

I have also hand created consist files just using a text editor, its not difficult once one have figured out the syntax..

I was curious though about why there was apparently little movement on this. as its "the only way to fly".

Lindsay

#13 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:57 AM

Dave

I see my name included in some of the file examples you have shown. Although I did provide the shape files, I don't see Richard Percy's name mentioned in them.

Richard did the shape models final setup and texture mapping and should be mentioned in those files somewhere. He did do most of the work.

This isn't a bash but merely a suggestion.

Maybe like this. (Richard_Percy/Allen_Norton_model)...

Allen :D

#14 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:16 AM

View PostB & O GUY, on 24 August 2015 - 04:57 AM, said:

Dave

I see my name included in some of the file examples you have shown. Although I did provide the shape files, I don't see Richard Percy's name mentioned in them.

Richard did the shape models final setup and texture mapping and should be mentioned in those files somewhere. He did do most of the work.

This isn't a bash but merely a suggestion.

Maybe like this. (Richard_Percy/Allen_Norton_model)...

Allen :D

I was naming the directory after who did the mesh as the includes therein are used without regards to skinning. Are you saying Richard is due equal credit for the mesh or to make note of his contribution to the skinning?

#15 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:20 AM

View PostLindsayts, on 24 August 2015 - 12:42 AM, said:

Hmmmmmmmmmm, Just checked this thread for the first time and in fact have never run into this problem inspite of heavily using include files.

Lindsay, will you review this thread and see if you can reproduce the error? My opinion is firming up that it is a parsing error.

#16 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:15 AM

Are you saying Richard is due equal credit for the mesh

Dave

Yes. Without Richard they would never have made it into MSTS.

Allen

#17 User is online   burgerbern 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:26 PM

I am another person who never uses a consist editor, i make up all my consists in wordpad always have and cannot see myself changing that anytime soon, it does not take that long to do

#18 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 24 August 2015 - 01:17 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 24 August 2015 - 08:20 AM, said:

Lindsay, will you review this thread and see if you can reproduce the error? My opinion is firming up that it is a parsing error.

I have not done much on OR for a while due to other projects including my own train sim.

I have one eng file using inlcudes that for some reason now OR cannot parse, OR gives no errors just will not load the loco. I have done a bit of work on it and have no idea why it will not load. Its the only one though, ie other loco's using a lot of the same includes works OK, so its something in the main eng file.
OR is generally good in putting out informative error messages, but one on occasion gets these cases, its a real pain then.

Lindsay

#19 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 24 August 2015 - 01:50 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 23 August 2015 - 09:15 AM, said:

I dunno if this is exactly what you mean Charles but what it reads like is this: "A valuable feature of OR should not be used because it is incompatible with MSTS and utilities built for MSTS". The same argument can be made for distributing .dds files instead of .ace files. Or any file with a parameter prefixed with "ORTS".

My use of MSTS is extremely limited -- RE and a couple of of routes that I work on and they are set up in a MSTS-only directory tree. EVERYTHING else is set up to be OR specific and are located elsewhere, in OR-only directory trees (8 and counting). All of these trees (think mini-routes) do have some things in common (e.g., \SOUND) which I manage via junctions but folders like \trainsets are unique to each. All of the include files are reserved for the OR-Only trees. Because their specific \trainset directory and .eng/.wag names are not changed for OR the same folders are kept in the MSTS-only trainset directory, but the .eng and .wag files therein remain MSTS compatibile. This means consist editors like Conbuilder work just fine within that tree. Any consist created in the MSTS tree can be moved over to the OR tree and work as expected.

As far as I am concerned, that is a perfectly acceptable solution pending that time when the various utilities catch up and process Include() -- not a terribly hard thing to do.

In the meanwhile I will continue to experiment with include files, trying to ferret out of the concept best practices.

That is a solution and Lindsay's is one that works also. Have either of you tried using an Openrails folder in an Engine folder of your MSTS trainset tree and placing your ENG fille with Include statements in the Openrails folder? That method would save having to deal with two trainsets. i'm at my daughter's now with only my iPad so I can't test howw that might work.

#20 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:06 PM

View Postcr-stagg, on 24 August 2015 - 01:50 PM, said:

Have either of you tried using an Openrails folder in an Engine folder of your MSTS trainset tree and placing your ENG fille with Include statements in the Openrails folder? That method would save having to deal with two trainsets.

Nope. To be frank, I don't like that approach at all... it's extra "clutter" in the directories in which it used all to accomplish a half-hearted move towards OR. Other than RE I've no use for MSTS and much prefer a clean break by creating and using pure OR environments while reserving one instance of MSTS to deal with residue functions not yet implemented in OR.

Attached Image: ore.jpg

I've not yet added "Open Rails - Canada" yet as I havn't had time to set up a proper \trainset folder for it. As for the ones I've already created, I use junctions to populate multiple environments with the same route.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users