• You cannot reply to this topic

Time table tutorial Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Rohit 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:51 AM

Sir,

Is there a step by step tutorial for creating timetable for a particular route. The manual in route editor seems to be vague and incomplete...

#2 User is offline   Lutz_s 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:20 AM

Hi,

which timetables do you mean? The timetable in an activity or the timetable mode in OpenRails?

Lutz

#3 User is offline   Rohit 

• Conductor

Posted 19 July 2015 - 04:58 AM

Yes Sir....I meant time table mode...

#4 User is offline   Lutz_s 

• Fireman

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:46 AM

Here is a basic tutorial how to create a timetable using the timetableeditor. We will create a timetable for the route USA1.
Open the editor by choosing the button “Tools” -> “Timetable editor” in the OpenRails menu. After the window has opened click on the button “New”. An Opendialog will show and you go to the folder “Routes\USA1” inside the MSTS-folder and choose the file “necorid.tdb”. After clicking OK a new window will appear, which shows the stations in the route. You can order the stations if you want, by clicking into the row which you want to move and then click the green/red up/down arrows. The stationlist has to be saved. Click on the save button, give it a name and then click on save. If there is no folder Openrails inside the acitivities folder of the route, the editor will ask if it should be created. Answer with yes. After this, the basis for the timetable was created.
Now click on the grid and enter the name for the timetable into the second column in the first editable row (That’s the cell were the row name and the column name are “#comment”). Then click into the column right of the one which has the name #comment. Choose the train icon in the buttonbar and click on it. Now you will define your first train. In the new window enter the name for the train, let’s use “Morning run”. In the path list on the upper right of the window choose a path. Let’s take “philwash”. In the consist list under the path list, choose the consist you want to ride. I choose “acela”. Then enter the start time for the train. I enter “06:35”. Then click on OK and the window will close.
Now you have defined the first train in your timetable. Save this timetable with the name “demo.timetable_or” and then start OpenRails again. You can choose your timetable and run your train. But it is quite boring at the moment. There are no stationstops defined and no other trains. So you should enter the times at which your train should stop at the stations. Enter “06:37” into the row where the stationname is “Philadelphia”, then enter 07:00 into the row where the stationname is “Wilmington”. Save the timetable and start a test. You should be able to drive the train from Philadelphia to Wilmingtion with the entered times. If it works, open the timetable again and define more stationstops and more trains.

More infos about the timetable editor can be found in its manual. It is in the documentation folder of OpenRails 1.0 or the friday builds of Openrails. More infos about the timetable mode can be found in the manual of Openrails.

#5 User is offline   Rohit 

• Conductor

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:20 AM

Thank you Sir....Do the intermediate station time appear automatically? or do we need to enter the time of each station? what to do for rake reversal and loco shunting?

#6 User is offline   Lutz_s 

• Fireman

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:45 AM

You have to enter all stops on your own. Real shunting is not possible in timetable mode. You define the return train, like you have defined the first train. If you want a reversed rake you have to use a consist for this train which has this rake. You can use the #dispose command to form the return train out of the incoming train. The timetable editor helps a bit, when you click into the cell of your train in the row #dispose and the click onto the signal in the buttonbar. You need to read the description of the dispose command in the manual to find the best way.

Cheers Lutz

#7 User is offline   Rohit 

• Conductor

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:40 AM

Sir,

If possible please give a video tutorial...

#8 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:55 PM

View PostLutz_s, on 19 July 2015 - 08:45 AM, said:

You have to enter all stops on your own. Real shunting is not possible in timetable mode. You define the return train, like you have defined the first train. If you want a reversed rake you have to use a consist for this train which has this rake. You can use the #dispose command to form the return train out of the incoming train. The timetable editor helps a bit, when you click into the cell of your train in the row #dispose and the click onto the signal in the buttonbar. You need to read the description of the dispose command in the manual to find the best way.

Cheers Lutz

Thanks very much for this Lutz. Great tutorial. Thanks.You made it easy.I have a question though: You say "Real shunting is not possible in timetable mode".'shunting' I take to mean switching of freight and passenger wagons as when the trains are in a yard or industry.

To me on this side of the pond the word "Timetable" suggests a passenger train.
My question is: Is 'Timetable Mode' meant to be mainly for passenger service?
Thanks in advance.

Now to address Rohits' problem:
Have you printed the tutorial?
I'm sure I'm not the only one to have trouble following a tutorial on a screen where I'm doing the work.
Reading and following a tutorial on sheet of paper where I can make notes is sooo much easier that a computer display.
enjoy!
vince

#9 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 July 2015 - 10:09 PM

The TT mode may appear tricky and hard at first time but once you get hang of it, its quite easy and straightforward. The "Timetable" does not only mean passenger train, you can also run freight but for it you have to define the start and end times , which is a bit unprototype. Anyways the concept is great and have much more potential.... :thumbup3:

#10 User is offline   keystoneaholic 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 July 2015 - 10:45 PM

View PostHamza97, on 23 July 2015 - 10:09 PM, said:

The TT mode may appear tricky and hard at first time but once you get hang of it, its quite easy and straightforward. The "Timetable" does not only mean passenger train, you can also run freight but for it you have to define the start and end times , which is a bit unprototype. Anyways the concept is great and have much more potential.... :thumbup3:

In the UK, freights run in timetabled paths, just as passenger trains do. With an intensive service on shared tracks, it's the only way to do it. This has been the case for a very long time. My understanding is that this applies in many European countries.

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users