• You cannot reply to this topic

New Route Editor for Open Rails Build routes without msts Rate Topic: -----

#621 User is offline   Master Chief 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:55 PM

ckawahara, on 20 May 2016 - 02:25 PM, said:

Am guessing that your post at TS did not resolve the issue. Just curious about your post at TS (I do not post there any longer) ... your post there was using the MSTS RE correct? Just an FYI, I do not do much with the MSTS RE, but for what it's worth, my Windows 10 test PC does permit to open any of the default routes, and I can go up in elevation, spin about to view, drop down, the normal view stuff.

Yes; I still cannot get the MSTS RE to work in Windows 10. The RE opens fine, but the movement in any loaded route is so slow and jerky that it is unusable. The last post in my thread at Trainsim mentioned this new editor, so I thought I'd give it a try. It opens, lets me select the requisite folder, but once I select a route it crashes.

#622 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:31 PM

Place a sound source an see it speed up seeing if that helps each load with MSTS editor.

#623 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:07 PM

Placing a sound source will not help, tried it myself. The solution here is to go to My PC > Properties > Advanced System Settings > Advanced > Performance settings > select "Adjust for best performance" > Apply. This worked on my PC and RE runs well. But be aware that during loading any route RE will seem to be stuck at "loading simulation" but dont worry it will normally load the route. Hope thus helps.... :thumbup3:

#624 User is offline   EricF 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:Open Rails / Sometimes MSTS

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:59 AM

"Adjust for best performance" basically disables or limits the attractive 'eye candy' aspects of the Windows UI. So if setting that option improves the RE's behavior, then what's really happening is that you're clearing up more resources to be available to the (resource-hungry) RE. That's also why it will load, eventually, but takes a while. Underneath, something else is going on that's eating up system resources in your computer -- memory (or lack thereof) and/or processor cycles.

There's all the 'usual suspects':

Just because of how modern Windows runs, if your computer has 4GB of RAM or less, you might find it's starving for memory to allocate to the RE -- at least in the way that the RE expects it. It ought to do better, but the RE isn't very "polite" in cooperating with Windows. Also, having BIN installed/not having BIN installed can affect how it behaves on large routes, as to memory use. Results seem to vary.

Antivirus can also drive the RE nuts if it's inspecting every little file that loads -- the RE expects everything to load now, not request and wait for the AV's real-time protection to verify each file. Try temporarily disabling the AV, or at least put it into it's "game mode" -- or whatever your AV calls it -- which should make it at least ignore the RE's file activity. (However, in "game mode" some AV's are still too resource-intensive to gracefully step out of the way of the RE as far as CPU use goes.

Plenty of other background processes and utilities can eat up CPU time that the RE needs. File sync/backup to cloud services, anything "cloud enabled" that's always-on, some printer/scanner managers, etc. If you can shut them off and use them on-demand instead, it may help. I like "Autoruns" from Microsoft's Sysinternals to hunt down auto-starting "helpers" that might not be so "helpful." In Windows 10, you can bring up the Task Manager and use the "Startup" tab to manage some auto-starting things, but not necessarily all.

Unfortunately, some browsers can be resource-hogs, too. Which is a pain if you want to keep Google Maps up for reference while working in the RE. Try to keep just the relevant browser tabs open, and close and re-open the browser before using the RE. Seems like all the major browsers have issues now and then with memory leaks which will consume and not release memory until the browser is totally shut down and re-opened.

And of course, Train Store may be vital if you're working within a large MSTS install, to keep the RE from bogging down.

#625 User is offline   Master Chief 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 22 May 2016 - 03:31 PM

EricF, on 21 May 2016 - 04:59 AM, said:

"Adjust for best performance" basically disables or limits the attractive 'eye candy' aspects of the Windows UI. So if setting that option improves the RE's behavior, then what's really happening is that you're clearing up more resources to be available to the (resource-hungry) RE. That's also why it will load, eventually, but takes a while. Underneath, something else is going on that's eating up system resources in your computer -- memory (or lack thereof) and/or processor cycles.

There's all the 'usual suspects':

Just because of how modern Windows runs, if your computer has 4GB of RAM or less, you might find it's starving for memory to allocate to the RE -- at least in the way that the RE expects it. It ought to do better, but the RE isn't very "polite" in cooperating with Windows. Also, having BIN installed/not having BIN installed can affect how it behaves on large routes, as to memory use. Results seem to vary.

Antivirus can also drive the RE nuts if it's inspecting every little file that loads -- the RE expects everything to load now, not request and wait for the AV's real-time protection to verify each file. Try temporarily disabling the AV, or at least put it into it's "game mode" -- or whatever your AV calls it -- which should make it at least ignore the RE's file activity. (However, in "game mode" some AV's are still too resource-intensive to gracefully step out of the way of the RE as far as CPU use goes.

Plenty of other background processes and utilities can eat up CPU time that the RE needs. File sync/backup to cloud services, anything "cloud enabled" that's always-on, some printer/scanner managers, etc. If you can shut them off and use them on-demand instead, it may help. I like "Autoruns" from Microsoft's Sysinternals to hunt down auto-starting "helpers" that might not be so "helpful." In Windows 10, you can bring up the Task Manager and use the "Startup" tab to manage some auto-starting things, but not necessarily all.

Unfortunately, some browsers can be resource-hogs, too. Which is a pain if you want to keep Google Maps up for reference while working in the RE. Try to keep just the relevant browser tabs open, and close and re-open the browser before using the RE. Seems like all the major browsers have issues now and then with memory leaks which will consume and not release memory until the browser is totally shut down and re-opened.

And of course, Train Store may be vital if you're working within a large MSTS install, to keep the RE from bogging down.

Well, this has gotten way off topic, but yes,I've tried all that stuff; there has always been a sound source in the route, the very first thing I placed, etc. I've tried all the above suggestions, and many others. Thanks for the offering, though.

The original question was, has anyone had problems with this new Route Editor running with Windows 10? When I try to use it, it crashes - won't even open after selecting a route.

#626 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 22 May 2016 - 03:52 PM

Off topic is probably my fault.

For the record, my testbed computer (Dell T3400) with Windows 10 64-bit Home edition, has no issues opening, selecting a route, and doing basic navigation. My testing was done using one of default routes of MSTS. All movements, whether mouse or keyboard, are smooth and fast. No jerkiness or such. I have opened two routes without shutting down MSTS with no noticable degradation in performance. Not being a route builder, I just zoom about checking a route against a track diagram I am working on. The video is nVidia and is using the display driver (device manager says the driver is nVidia) that the Win 10 installation process selected. Installation of MSTS is at C:\MSTS. My shortcut used "train.exe -toolset" with no other modifiers. Windows 10 has been set to maximize performance over visual beauty.

I have not tested Goku's editor beta.

#627 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:11 PM

Jeff - just to check the basics . . . you have installed MSTS according to the special instructions at steam4me.net, correct? And NOT put it in any of the program or user files?
Christopher

#628 User is offline   dennisat 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:Open Rails & MSTS

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:37 AM

Master Chief, on 22 May 2016 - 03:31 PM, said:

The original question was, has anyone had problems with this new Route Editor running with Windows 10? When I try to use it, it crashes - won't even open after selecting a route.

Have you previously installed the Version 0.601 0.610? If you're downloading TSRE5_v0.611.exe it won't work on its own, it needs the libraries supplied with v0.601 v0.610. If this is the case, download and unpack TSRE5_v0.610.zip which contains these libraries and replace TSRE5.exe in the contained TSRE5 folder with TSRE5_v0.611exe. You can then move the whole ensemble to any convenient location in your directory structure.

I'm currently using Windows 10 Pro 64bit.

Dennis

Edited to correct v0.601 to v0.610

#629 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:37 AM

If someone is intrested, there is even newer version than 611.
Here http://koniec.org/tsre5/ you can find TSRE5_v0.6111.exe which has a little more features than 611 but I do not remember what it is ... some new controls and maybe ability to create new routes compatible with old RE and Game.

#630 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:19 AM

Thank you Sir !
Again - Your work is much appreciated - Thank You for sharing .

• 208 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users