• You cannot reply to this topic

New Route Editor for Open Rails Build routes without msts Rate Topic: -----

#481 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:11 AM

View Postdisc, on 25 February 2016 - 09:48 AM, said:

Edit: Ok now i see how it works. I need to press load two times, then close the heightmap window.

One time, no two. And I am amazed how it is possible someone did not try simply close the window before complaining something do not work ...

#482 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:29 AM

View PostGoku, on 25 February 2016 - 10:11 AM, said:

One time, no two. And I am amazed how it is possible someone did not try simply close the window before complaining something do not work ...

Everyone is very grateful for your work on this editor, but please remember that if someone struggles to use it, it usually means the UX is not right. Consider every time someone has had to ask a question about using the editor as data for making it better. :)

#483 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:59 AM

And I am amazed how it is possible someone did not try simply close the window before complaining something do not work ...

I am amazed that you didn't think to program your software around such a situation. :derisive:

I do not know how "new" to writing software for other people you are, but writing software for people other than yourself to use requires a lot more time and patience and imagination than you may be used to. Some things for you to keep in mind:

• Some of your users are not going to read the documentation. Since you don't really have any documentation yet, this is not an issue yet.
  • Some of your users who do read the documentation are not going to understand it correctly. This is especially true in the MSTS realm where many people enjoy trains but are not very technically minded.
  • Users cannot read your mind and will do things with your software you had never dreamed of. When they report these things and associated problems to you, it's an opportunity to improve ("dummy proof") your software, not act incredulous or offended.
  • Users are going to ask about how to do things that are not obvious or intuitive. Just because it's intuitive to you doesn't mean it is to everyone else. This is what documentation is for.
  • Users are going to offer suggestions on how to improve your software. While not all suggestions are practical, you can file them away and consider all suggestions for the future. All software can be improved.
  • Only you are in total control over how your software works. Therefore, the appeal and usability of your software to other people is entirely in your hands. You can decide how easy or difficult it is for other people to use.
  • I also understand that English is not your first language. Language and communication can be a problem in technical circles even with both people being fluent in the same language. Don't hold language struggles (either from your users or instructions to them) against them.

Short version: Users are stupid, and no software is perfect. The best software comes about from a need and passion where users and developers feed off of one another. As James said, your significant efforts on this software are appreciated, but being condescending to your user base is not called for.

#484 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 25 February 2016 - 01:06 PM

Easily. As there is no documentation, i need to figure out how it works, and the UI is a bit weird. Secondly, for me high cpu usage means that its working on something, but this time it seems to be an idle loop.

This is why i asked how it should work.

#485 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 25 February 2016 - 01:14 PM

Ok, but how did you even quit this app if you didn't close the window? :) That's why I was amazed.

Of course I see nothing wrong with asking questions . It was just funny for me.

#486 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:44 PM

Just starting to mess around. Exciting!

It took me awhile to figure out I needed to define a folder in the settings file before the editor would do anything but crash. Got that sorted out now.

For my next move, I thought I'd check out the map overlay, which I haven't been able to make work because it looks like this when I open up the terrain window:

Attached File  editor.jpg (790.67K)
Number of downloads: 56

Note that the Navi window on the left is also affected.

My screen resolution (3840 x 2160) is larger than most computers and is causing the issue. Unfortunately it seems to be preventing me from using the buttons.

The object window does not seem (so far) to be having an issue.

Christopher

#487 User is offline   dekosoft 

• Apprentice
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:34 AM

View Postconductorchris, on 26 February 2016 - 07:44 PM, said:

For my next move, I thought I'd check out the map overlay, which I haven't been able to make work because it looks like this when I open up the terrain window:

My screen resolution (3840 x 2160) is larger than most computers and is causing the issue. Unfortunately it seems to be preventing me from using the buttons.

The object window does not seem (so far) to be having an issue.

Christopher

Not sure why the buttons aren't appearing correctly -- seems like you'd have more room for the menu items, not less.

As for map overlay, here's how it works for me. You must be connected to the web:

1. Activate Terrain mode (Tools --> Terrain, or F2)
2. Move to the region where you want the map to appear using the arrow keys.
3. Press 'Load Map' button in the right side menu. Click on a tile in the world viewer. A 2-D popup window should appear.
4. Click the 'Load' button at the top of the popup window. Wait for the map to load in the popup window, then close it.
5. Click the 'Show/H Map' button.
6. Click on the same tile in the world viewer window -- the map should now appear.

#488 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:52 AM

View Postconductorchris, on 26 February 2016 - 07:44 PM, said:

[...]
Note that the Navi window on the left is also affected.

It is because your font DPI is higher than 100% and my UI has fixed size. It looks ugly but you can still use it, or run the app with DPI set to 100%. I will fix it in the future.

How disable DPI scaling:

If your application has issues on Windows Vista or later versions that are caused by DPI virtualization, users can turn off DPI virtualization and scaling for your application without affecting other applications. To disable DPI virtualization for a single application, right-click the name of the application executable file, click Properties, click the Compatibility tab, and then select the box labeled Disable display scaling on high DPI settings.

https://msdn.microso...v=vs.85%29.aspx

#489 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:26 AM

Thanks Goku - that is a good thing to know about. However it does not change anything for me. The font size looks ok, but the size of the buttons is too small for the font. I think the fonts have successfully scaled but the other UI elements have not.
Christopher

#490 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 27 February 2016 - 12:43 PM

Hi Goku,

A friend of mine is creating a route but he has removed some tiles at some point. Curiously, the route works fine until reaching the space that was left seperated after the empty tiles. TSRE just crashes. I managed to do this screenshot. Any ideas of why is it crashing?

Attached File  TSRE_error.JPG (205.23K)
Number of downloads: 36

Regards,

Pedro

• 208 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users