• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Route Editor for Open Rails Build routes without msts Rate Topic: -----

#1321 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:46 AM

I think TSRE will use something different than ref file. I think better solution will be subdirectories in Shapes directory where you simply put files and not use ref file at all. Each subdirectory will have config file where object settings will be defined.
But .ref editor is good idea to do in the future.

#1322 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:41 PM

Goku, you've done some great work in the last few days! Wow! Thanks!
Christopher

#1323 User is offline   StationWhere 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:04 AM

Bonjour.

View PostGoku, on 29 January 2017 - 11:46 AM, said:

I think TSRE will use something different than ref file. I think better solution will be subdirectories in Shapes directory where you simply put files and not use ref file at all. Each subdirectory will have config file where object settings will be defined.
But .ref editor is good idea to do in the future.

Ho Thank you! As usual it is good idea. But....
Do we will can continue to customize CLASS?
Regards

#1324 User is offline   StationWhere 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:46 AM

View PostGoku, on 28 January 2017 - 01:12 PM, said:

GOOGLE EARTH AS MAPS

Waouhhh! I did not dare hope for that.
You are amazing!
Thank you.

#1325 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:11 AM

View PostGoku, on 29 January 2017 - 11:46 AM, said:

I think better solution will be subdirectories in Shapes directory where you simply put files and not use ref file at all. Each subdirectory will have config file where object settings will be defined.

I think more sub-folders is a bad idea. And it sounds like you're proposing a sub-folder for every individual shape or collection of shapes. Maybe if this were some sort of global repository that all routes could draw from I could see it, but for each individual route? Nah. A central repository for Reference information that all routes could use to identify whatever arbitrary .s files they have in their Shapes folders would be a good idea. But if the user wants to add a shape to the route, the Editor can 1) let the user browse for an .s file 2) look for a .ref file in the same or parent path as the shape being added. 3) locate the .ref entries for the shape in that .ref file 4) automatically import that information into the route being edited's .ref file 5) copy the shape's files (.s, .sd, .ace) to the route's folders 6) make the shape immediately available for use. If .ref file data is not available, the Editor can prompt the user to fill in the information (e.g. Type [Static, LevelCr, etc.], Class, Shadow, Description, etc.) and then proceed with step #4. If other shape data files (.s, .sd, .ace) are missing, the operation fails with an error. If the .sd file calls for extended, seasonal textures that do not exist, the user gets warned or the operation fails with an error.

#1326 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:44 AM

Why it is bad idea? It doesn't increase file count. Only drawback is that you will have "directory/filename.s" in .W file instead of "filename.s", but it is used this way by many route builders already.
Directories are much easier than .REF file. Directory name is .REF class name. Each directory can contain any number of .s files. Each directory has one settings file that define type of world object.
Of course it is only Alternative solution suggestion, not .REF replacement.

#1327 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:10 AM

New update: http://koniec.org/ts...SRE5_v0.675.exe

- more advanced and intuitive "stick to track"
- gui fixes, better behaviour
- pos & rot tools for groupObj
- better app themes

#1328 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:56 AM

View PostGoku, on 30 January 2017 - 07:44 AM, said:

Why it is bad idea? It doesn't increase file count.

Yes it does increase the file count. As far as the file system is concerned, folders are files. I would say MSTS installations with millions of files are already stressful enough on the file system.
It makes it harder to find and manage shape files in a route. "Hmmm which folder are _those_ in, again?"
It breaks software like Shape Viewer which is coded to look for textures in the shape's folder, or a peer folder called Textures.
It makes backing-up and manually archiving routes more complicated because of having to manage the sub-folders.
It could help prevent one type of file name collision but introduces folder name collisions.

#1329 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:15 PM

View PostJovet, on 30 January 2017 - 11:56 AM, said:

Yes it does increase the file count. As far as the file system is concerned, folders are files. I would say MSTS installations with millions of files are already stressful enough on the file system.

No it doesn't incrase. Ok, it increase but by constant value of only several files (1-100 fies/route). One directory = one ref class, not one .s file.

It makes it harder to find and manage shape files in a route. "Hmmm which folder are _those_ in, again?"

Harder? Finding shape in directory containing 99999 files is almost impossible by hand. You need to use "search". Subdirectories is the way to make it more user friendly.

It breaks software like Shape Viewer which is coded to look for textures in the shape's folder, or a peer folder called Textures.

It breaks nothing. Textures are still where they are.

It makes backing-up and manually archiving routes more complicated because of having to manage the sub-folders.

?? You just copy or ignore Shapes directory like now.

It could help prevent one type of file name collision but introduces folder name collisions.

Folder name collisions. How?
Maybe you don't understand the idea ...

#1330 User is offline   CrisGer 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:36 PM

Goku thank you so much for continuing to develop this amazing help for us all. much much appreciated. thank you also for working with all of the suggestions so patiently and thinking it all thru. Everyone here means well and wants to help you and I am so glad to see great discussion going on.

thank you again this work you are doing is some of the most important work done since the start of OR.

:sign_thanks: :sign_thanks: :sign_thanks:

Chris

• 208 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users