• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Route Editor for Open Rails Build routes without msts Rate Topic: -----

#1351 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:58 AM

Making for you snapable during dragging an object took me lots of work, and you didn't even tried it.
I know everything you described above. HOW ELSE COULD I DO SNAPABLES?

I need to be able to drag, 'grab and hold' would be a better term. the object, in this example the station house platform shape.

You can!

https://www.youtube....h?v=xO8qqjDWfT4

#1352 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:28 AM

Goku, on 01 February 2017 - 08:58 AM, said:

Making for you snapable during dragging an object took me lots of work, and you didn't even tried it.
I know everything you described above. HOW ELSE COULD I DO SNAPABLES?
You can! https://www.youtube....h?v=xO8qqjDWfT4

Hi Goku,

I do realize it's hard work and I thank you for your efforts.
With all the updates flooding me yesterday I obviously let the drag/hold/snap slip through the cracks and I missed it. Sorry.
I run extensive tests on every change that you upload and I didn't get to have a close look at it.
I will be doing that today.

best regards,
vince

#1353 User is offline   cnw_fan 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:06 PM

cnw_fan, on 29 January 2017 - 10:35 AM, said:

Also I am hopeful there is still in the works or will be a feature to add a entire section for a TBD rebuild with one stroke of a mouse click or key.

Hoping that this hasn't taken a back seat have not seen a update that features this yet. Again as a user I find it less then attractive to re click every track just to re add it to the TBD. Thank you for the updates thus far. Also handy would be a way to switch maps from Google to OSM with out having to exit the editor.

#1354 User is offline   GibiShadok 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:16 PM

Hello,

Since i'm a lawyer, I tried to read Google's permissions guidelines. Sadly, i have only access to a french translation, i was unable to find the original text published in english ; but it seems difficult to download images from Google maps and to use them as terrain textures : we can do this freely, but showing the name of the provider is mandatory ; 2 possibilities :

- a watermark :wacko:

- a line of text on the bottom of the screen everytime a copyrighted image appears during the game, a bit like the controls informations that OR briefly shows when the user make adjustments to his train ; however, since the name of the provider is mandatory, this option couldn't be desactivated.

In case of a line would make use of dozens of copyrighted pics, i'm afraid it would be tedious...

#1355 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:43 PM

GibiShadok, on 01 February 2017 - 01:16 PM, said:

Hello,

Since i'm a lawyer, I tried to read Google's permissions guidelines. Sadly, i have only access to a french translation, i was unable to find the original text published in english ; but it seems difficult to download images from Google maps and to use them as terrain textures : we can do this freely, but showing the name of the provider is mandatory ; 2 possibilities :

- a line of text on the bottom of the screen everytime a copyrighted image appears during the game, a bit like the controls informations that OR briefly shows when the user make adjustments to his train ; however, since the name of the provider is mandatory, this option couldn't be desactivated.

In case of a line would make use of dozens of copyrighted pics, i'm afraid it would be tedious...

Openstreetmap in its editing guide lines says both Googleearth and Google maps information is copyright and cannot be used in a freely availible application, it also says one cannot even use these as a source of names for such applications.

Lindsay

#1356 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:27 PM

StationWhere, on 31 January 2017 - 10:45 AM, said:

The first use of the REF File (for me ) is to attrribute a French and Descriptive Name to a SHAPE.
Example !: Zdan01.S What is this?
My REF File contain a CLASS "Batiments" and a DESCRIPTION : "Maison parpaing en construction".
Very usefull for the build of a ROUTE.

The suggestion is not to get rid of the function of a .ref file. The suggestion is to move away from a single, monolithic .ref file for the entire route, and instead modularize collections of shapes by storing the data elsewhere in a manner that is more portable and less of a hassle. It will definitely not go away.

#1357 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:44 PM

GibiShadok, on 01 February 2017 - 01:16 PM, said:

Hello,

I don't see it too bad to provide a non-desactivable copyright line of text at the bottom of the screen.

#1358 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:54 AM

I think, copyright line would be fine only for TSRE map overlay (or maybe not - yellow text does not allow even this use).
But everything else (image saves, terrtex textures) is not allowed.

https://developers.g....com/maps/terms

10.5 Intellectual Property Restrictions.

No distribution or sale except as permitted under the Terms. You will not distribute, sell, or otherwise make any part of the Service available to third parties except as permitted by these Terms.
No derivative works. You will not modify or create a derivative work based on any Content unless expressly permitted to do so under these Terms. For example, the following are prohibited: (i) creating server-side modification of map tiles; (ii) stitching multiple static map images together to display a map that is larger than permitted in the Maps APIs Documentation; or (iii) tracing or copying the copyrightable elements of Google’s maps or building outlines and creating a new work, such as a new mapping or navigation dataset.
No use of Content outside the Service. You will not use any Content outside of the Service except as expressly permitted to do so in Subsection (d). For example, you will not export or save the Content to a third party’s platform or service.
No caching or storage. You will not pre-fetch, cache, index, or store any Content to be used outside the Service, except that you may store limited amounts of Content solely for the purpose of improving the performance of your Maps API Implementation due to network latency (and not for the purpose of preventing Google from accurately tracking usage), and only if such storage:
is temporary (and in no event more than 30 calendar days);
is secure;
does not manipulate or aggregate any part of the Content or Service; and
does not modify attribution in any way.
No mass downloading. You will not use the Service in a manner that gives you or a third party access to mass downloads or bulk feeds of any Content. For example, you are not permitted to offer a batch geocoding service that uses Content contained in the Maps API(s).
No incorporating Google software into other software. You will not incorporate any software provided as part of the Service into other software.
No removing, obscuring, or altering terms of service, links, or proprietary rights notices. You will not:
remove, obscure, or alter any Google terms of service or any links to or notices of those terms, or any copyright, trademark, or other proprietary rights notices; or
falsify or delete any author attributions, legal notices, or other labels of the origin or source of material.

So, in free fun project you can use google maps, but for any kind of payware route I wouldn't even touch it.

#1359 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:46 PM

I am acquainted with a google executive who is a railfan if the need to work things through arises. We would need to decide what we want first, though.
Christopher

#1360 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:56 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 01 February 2017 - 11:44 PM, said:

I don't see it too bad to provide a non-desactivable copyright line of text at the bottom of the screen.

Slippery slope, Carlo. That's how it would start. Next Google will want to show some "brief" advertisements before the simulation starts. Before you know it, you'll be seeing "this un-coupling brought to you by Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx".

It isn't worth it. It may be fine for others, but I do not want a stupid copyright notice on the screen... so I will not run a route that would require such an absurdity.

• 208 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users