Elvas Tower: The Goode-Homosoline Projection - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Goode-Homosoline Projection Problem statement Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:37 AM

It's rather slow Walt.

FWIW I've been spending time w/ Qgis wien. It's obviously much faster than Mapwindow. I was able to import USGS 1/9 arc .img files, reform them to the older gis format .tif, save, and import them into DEMEX where I created MSTS terrain... and did so w/o getting lost in all the other functionality these programs all have.

#32 User is offline   WaltN 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:50 PM

Genma Saotome, on 15 April 2015 - 09:37 AM, said:

It's rather slow Walt.

FWIW I've been spending time w/ Qgis wien. It's obviously much faster than Mapwindow. I was able to import USGS 1/9 arc .img files, reform them to the older gis format .tif, save, and import them into DEMEX where I created MSTS terrain... and did so w/o getting lost in all the other functionality these programs all have.

Well, if I do anything at all with exploring GIS possibilities, I'll do MapWindow and you do Qgis. We can share test cases and each write reports. But I'm not going to do anything at all in that area until I'm finished with Virtual Globes.

#33 User is online   BillC 

• Conductor
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:52 PM

Genma Saotome, on 15 April 2015 - 09:37 AM, said:

It's rather slow Walt.

Some of the reasons why QGIS may be faster it's written in C++, along with QT GUI also written in C++. No worries about garbage collection. Of course I assume your comparing apples, both QGIS MapWindonw running on a 64 bit system.

#34 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:09 PM

BillC, on 16 April 2015 - 03:52 PM, said:

Of course I assume your comparing apples, both QGIS & MapWindow running on a 64 bit system.

Yes.

Walt: This may be relevant to your investigation (dated 2012):

Attached Image: MW.jpg

#35 User is offline   WaltN 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:20 AM

BillC, on 16 April 2015 - 03:52 PM, said:

Some of the reasons why QGIS may be faster it's written in C++, along with QT GUI also written in C++. No worries about garbage collection. Of course I assume your comparing apples, both QGIS MapWindonw running on a 64 bit system.

The shared comparison I suggested was intended to be only a functional comparison. Obviously, Dave and I are likely to have systems widely different in performance.

If I test the GIS water, it will be with MapWindow. For me, that's the wiser choice. (For example, although I know C++ and have written applications with it, I choose not to go back to it. I wouldn't work with the Unreal engine for the same reason. It's an age and energy thing.) This choice has nothing to do with Open Rails. I'm only offering up the assessment.

#36 User is offline   WaltN 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:30 AM

Genma Saotome, on 16 April 2015 - 05:09 PM, said:

Walt: This may be relevant to your investigation (dated 2012):

Dave, MapWindow Six is kind of like the Open Rails route editor. That release is in the queue for future development. The main thrust of Six will put MapWindow on purely a DotSpatial API base.

The current production release of MapWindow is 4.x. The work now underway is Release 5. That is said to be an effort to put the program on a modern programming practice base. Sound familiar? It should.

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users