• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Saves Crashing Sim Bug #1375932 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:59 PM

This problem of the saves getting corrupted by the process is continuing on every route I run and every build for over the last hundred or so. Hit save - white screen - bounce to menu - save is corrupted and won't load. Many minutes and sometimes hours of running are lost!

I tell ya', if I didn't love this so much I'd have given up on this simulator a long time ago over this flaw. Yet still it is marked as a "Medium" issue. To my way of thinking this is CRITICAL!

New comments added to the bug page. :bigboss:

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:18 AM

Herb,
I have seen that you have provided the OpenRailsLog.txt file for the resume, that in fact seems to indicate that the save file was incomplete or maybe even empty. If it happens to you again that during save OR returns to main menu, pls. provide the OpenRailsLog.txt file you got for the save operation, as the malfunction has occurred during save. Resume behavior only confirms the golden rule of computer science "garbage in --> garbage out" :bigboss:.

#3 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:01 PM

Carlo, I don't understand what you are trying to say. This is the saved games screen and the highlighted save is the last successful save:
Attached Image: Save successful.jpg

Directly above it, is the failed save which was created, by the software at the push of the F2 Key:
Attached Image: save unsuccessful.jpg

Note that it shows the save is valid but the preview screen is blank. When it crashed to the main menu screen after that save is when the log you received was created.

If you attempt to resume the activity at this last "valid" save you get:
Attached Image: save error 3.jpg

And your game is over. You then have no choice but to go back, in this case only 6 minutes into your activity and run that 6 minutes again. Or quit in disgust. Notice that for this activity this is the seventh save. The first six were successful with the second building upon the first and the third building on the second and so forth and then the seventh save failed. So it isn't just after the first save that this occurs but anytime the software decides to junk out on a save.

#4 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:10 PM

I think I figured out what you are saying about the log file. You need the log at the moment it crashes to the menu not the log from the resume.

OK, got it. I'll go see if I can recreate the problem. :bigboss:

#5 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:13 PM

That didn't take long. Third save.

Attached File  OpenRailsLog.txt (241.66K)
Number of downloads: 150

FYI: Patrick Wise's Cajon Pass.

#6 User is offline   R H Steele 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 19 December 2014 - 05:28 PM

I know this is frustrating, and it's puzzling to me. I have downloaded and used the "supporters download" (friday x-perimental) every friday for the past year and never have had any problem with saving and resuming.
I noticed in the log an entry "Thread 'Updater Process' has hung" and wondered if that was somehow the start of the problem. I have never used the updater.
It's puzzling, something should be done about because I assume most users would prefer an updater type process, that seems common with most current software.

#7 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:06 PM

Just tested that theory. I turned off the Updater and saved it 5 times and it crashed on the sixth.

#8 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:10 AM

Herb,
I've looked at your logfile. It has nothing to do with the automatic updating of OR versions, but with the internal OR Updater process, that lasts long time during the save operation, letting the Watchdog process believe that the Updater process is hung, which is not true, and therefore interrupting everything. This should be quite easily fixable by someone knowing better than me how the Save code and/or the watchdog code operate.
In the meantime you can use the RunactivityLAA.exe and Runactivity.exe included in the attached zip (overwrite the standard versions after having backed up them), that should bypass the problem.
Attached File  Runactivities.zip (1.15MB)
Number of downloads: 190

#9 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:13 AM

Attached Image: save error 3.jpg

This message is clearly nonsense. During the Resume process, all fatal errors are trapped and directed to this message. The assumption is that a fatal error at this point is most likely to be caused by a code change. I.e. resuming from a Save that is not compatible because it was made by an earlier version and the code has since changed.

In the dialog box shown here, the versions are the same, so the message is inappropriate. The Resume process failed for some other reason such as the one Carlo has suggested and, where the version numbers are the same, the message should simply say "Unable to resume from Save".

#10 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:35 AM

View Postcjakeman, on 20 December 2014 - 01:13 AM, said:

This message is clearly nonsense. During the Resume process, all fatal errors are trapped and directed to this message. The assumption is that a fatal error at this point is most likely to be caused by a code change. I.e. resuming from a Save that has become incompatible because it was made by an earlier version and the code has since changed.

In the dialog box shown here, the versions are the same, so the message is inappropriate. The Resume process failed for some other reason, such as the one Carlo has suggested., and the message should simply say "Unable to resume from Save".

Right or "yer skreuwed" or something similar. :bigboss:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users