• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Excessive smoke from Diesel Locomotives Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Rohit 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:40 PM

Thank you sir, it worked............ The problem was that I opened the dpu.exe and then dragged eng files into it. Now it is solved.................

#22 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:02 AM

:) to answer so late, but due to training for becoming a paramedic, I was away and without possibilities to check the forum for the whole week.

I´m glad to see the problem has been solved. I will try to incorporate the help given here into the manual, or update existing info therein, should I find some (honestly, I have no idea anymore what I wrote in there).

On a related side note, ENG files located in paths containing special characters will NOT work with the probided batch file shortcuts, and will also throw the "No file specified" error.

Cheers, Markus

#23 User is offline   Rohit 

• Conductor

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:30 PM

Sir,

Thanks for your reply.........................

#24 User is offline   Rohit 

• Conductor

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:34 PM

Sir,

But it may be noted that the problem is that it will make the horn to trigger the bell also. Also the description about the modification in the eng file about the dpu may be avoided. Please make the smoke adjustment as the first option and the other things may be upto the user to incorporate as per their wish. That is all other except the smoke adjustment must be made optional..................................

#25 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 26 October 2014 - 03:41 AM

You can edit what a certain data preset for DPU does to an ENG file. THerfore, please read documentation.txt in the subfolder DOCS of youd DPU installation. If there are any question (most likely the case, as the documentation is far from complete), please just post here.

Cheers, Markus

#26 User is offline   Rohit 

• Conductor

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:33 AM

How can we remove this line Comment ( Edited by DPU VX3.0 10-26-2014 20:01:06 with settings: DefALCOlittle.ini, "")

Also the process add to increase the file size even though it removes unnecessary lines as said in the manual.

#27 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:14 AM

That line can´t be removed. It´s a reminder that the file was processed by DPU, and that any strange errors possibly found in the file might have resulted from said processing action.

How the file size changes depends more on what is added, than what is removed. Blank lines contribute very little to the size of a file, and removing few of them (if any at all) will have less of an impact than adding loads of lines actually containing text (which is done by all of the default presets).

As I said, take a look at documentation.txt and one of the .ini files in sub-folder userdata of the DPU installation and see how it works. When you understand this, you can go and make modified copies of the preset files according to the instructions, and adapt them to your own needs.

Cheers, Markus

#28 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:54 PM

I edit my .eng files manually to get the smoke effect that I want for that loco. I vary the settings even among locomotives of the same class in order to get a (realistic) varied effect.

That said, I've noticed that, of late in experimental releases, AI trains don't smoke at all. I think that this was brought up in an earlier post. Also, a long-ago reported bug that loose consist locos smoke at full throttle no matter what (unless one couples up to them with a player train) still has not been addressed. I would think with all of the "smoke development" enhances that have been made that the loose consist issue could be looked at and fixed.

Like others, I do like the wind effect. Is it just me, or does the wind change direction randomly. If it does, that's pretty cool. Now, if the wind would just effect rain and snow the same way as the smoke is going . . . More wish lists. Thanks to the developers for all of their work on OR, it is really improving the sim.

#29 User is offline   rdamurphy 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS - OR

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:33 PM

I'm pretty sure I fixed the loose consist thing, they should be only smoking at their idle settings...

Robert

#30 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:45 AM

rdamurphy, on 28 October 2014 - 05:33 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure I fixed the loose consist thing, they should be only smoking at their idle settings...

Robert

Unless yesterday's releases fixed it, the problem is still there. I can tell because I purposely set both DieselSmokeEffectInitialMagnitude and DieselSmokeEffectInitialSmokeRate at ( 0.0 ) on locomotives that I use in loose consists. They are still smoking when sitting there. I also checked it by coupling up to a loose consist locomotive with the ( 0.0 ) Initial settings that was smoking away. As soon as I coupled to it, the smoke stopped. It did not smoke after I uncoupled from it. Save the game and restart it, the loose consist engine is smoking again, until I couple the player locomotives to it. Then it stops smoking again.

On another subject of smoke, when I have some diesel locomotives running at low RPM settings, say Run 2 or Run 3, the smoke often comes out in unprototypical "puffs," rather than as a steady stream of lighter smoke. Is there a way to set the smoke settings to stop this? I've tried several combinations with little success.

Thanks again for the developers' diligence in tracking down bugs and issues.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users