• You cannot reply to this topic

Excessive smoke from Diesel Locomotives Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:26 AM

View PostRohit R Krishnan, on 20 October 2014 - 05:41 AM, said:

i still remember that this problem is due to the smoke effect improvement made in the next release just after OR v 1944.

The problem is that the engines are poorly configured and, due to limitations in MSTS, did not appear to be a problem at the time they were created. However, OR doesn't have the same limitations so the engines will generate far too much smoke. This is not exactly a bug in OR, as the only difference is the lack of the MSTS limitation. If you update the engines to look good in OR, they will likely continue to look good in MSTS as well due to its limitation.

#12 User is offline   Rohit 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:30 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 20 October 2014 - 06:26 AM, said:

The problem is that the engines are poorly configured and, due to limitations in MSTS, did not appear to be a problem at the time they were created. However, OR doesn't have the same limitations so the engines will generate far too much smoke. This is not exactly a bug in OR, as the only difference is the lack of the MSTS limitation. If you update the engines to look good in OR, they will likely continue to look good in MSTS as well due to its limitation.

#13 User is offline   Rohit 

• Conductor

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:31 AM

Sir,

What will be do next????????? I need the only same smoke emission configuration as in Or V 0.9

#14 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:07 AM

If you go back to post #4 in this thread you will see a couple of suggested smoke rate configurations for eng files. Prior to implementing this version of the "smoke code" the exhaust was a series of squarish blobs as shown in your first screen shots. The changes tied the smoke rate to the throttle and engine rpm which allows for a more realistic looking smoke, but to accommodate this, small changes have to be made to the eng file. In this way, you can have different members of the same class show different levels of smoke, something that was not entirely possible using MSTS.

Open rails is still a work in progress and it is quite possible that the smoke code could change again, but then it might not. I therefore respectfully suggest that you edit your eng files instead to get the effect you are looking for.

#15 User is offline   Rohit 

• Conductor

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:15 AM

View Postcopperpen, on 20 October 2014 - 08:07 AM, said:

If you go back to post #4 in this thread you will see a couple of suggested smoke rate configurations for eng files. Prior to implementing this version of the "smoke code" the exhaust was a series of squarish blobs as shown in your first screen shots. The changes tied the smoke rate to the throttle and engine rpm which allows for a more realistic looking smoke, but to accommodate this, small changes have to be made to the eng file. In this way, you can have different members of the same class show different levels of smoke, something that was not entirely possible using MSTS.

Open rails is still a work in progress and it is quite possible that the smoke code could change again, but then it might not. I therefore respectfully suggest that you edit your eng files instead to get the effect you are looking for.

#16 User is offline   Rohit 

• Conductor

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:16 AM

Sir,

Kindly direct me how to minimise the smoke by adjusting the entries in the eng file.

#17 User is offline   Rohit 

• Conductor

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:25 AM

Tried DPU v 3.0. But on opening DPU.exe it is written as "File : Not specified" . Also when I drag eng files the DPU.exe automatically vanishes and no change is occured. As mentioned in the procedure, nothing is asked about the smoke setting............Help...........................

#18 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:18 AM

I don't use the DPU program, I manually edit eng files as needed. Look at post #4 and it shows you what lines to edit and what data to use in those lines. The data can be varied between engines for different effects.

#19 User is offline   Rohit 

• Conductor

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:39 AM

Sir,

Please let me know how to use dpu 3.0. After correcting the path of MSTS installation in dpu.ini file, i have dragged eng file into DPU.exe and nothing happened and the command window automatically disappears. Also it is written that "no file is specified".Please help...........

#20 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:44 AM

As a non user of said program, I downloaded it for a test run. Nothing could be easier if directions are followed, these are found in the Docs folder and the file is documentation.txt.

To summarise the document, first, the path in the DPU.ini file MUST be EXACT, and include the trailing \ after which everything is quick and almost automatic.

Have two windows open, one with DPU and one with the eng file/s you wish to change. Drag the eng file across and drop it onto DPU.exe and a cmd window will open. This will give you 9 choices and you select the one you want, hit Enter and the rest is automatic.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users