• You cannot reply to this topic

Path Bug Going off into Emergency Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   beresford 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:24 PM

View Postcharland, on 11 June 2014 - 11:42 AM, said:

Yes, worked well, better than releasing each one by one!

Paul :-)

I get the impression that OR initialises all loose stock with all the handbrakes set and therefore if you save your game in mid-shunt and come back to it you will find them set, whereas if you play through you won't.

#22 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:27 PM

Actually, it would be logical to find the handbrakes set anyway, on all loose stock. AFAIK, at least in American practice, it is not allowed to leave a train secured only with air brakes, as the pressure will bleed away as time passes (actually, pretty quickly...). Thus, handbrakes have to be set.

Cheers, Markus

#23 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:45 PM

View Postmarkus_GE, on 16 June 2014 - 02:27 PM, said:

Actually, it would be logical to find the handbrakes set anyway, on all loose stock. AFAIK, at least in American practice, it is not allowed to leave a train secured only with air brakes, as the pressure will bleed away as time passes (actually, pretty quickly...). Thus, handbrakes have to be set.

Cheers, Markus

That was the scenario for a rail tragedy here in Canada last year in the little town of Lac Megantic, Quebec. A train carrying crude oil was parked at the top of a hill for the night; the engine driver set some hand brakes and left the engine running, then checked into a motel for the night. There was an oil fire in the locomotive, so the firemen killed the diesel engine when they put out the fire. Someone called the driver and told him not to bother coming back. Later, the train started rolling (it looks like the brake pressure bled off), went down the hill, broke apart in the middle of the town, exploded and burned and destroyed most of the town and killed 42 people. The driver has since been charged with criminal negligence, since it appears that he set the hand brakes on only about 5 of the 74 cars in the train.

Sid.

#24 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:49 PM

Well yes and no. If the yard was considered level that they would set maybe three handbrakes from what would become the head end but not all.

The accident that happened in Quebec last summer was a 75 car train and the track was on a grade, they were supposed to have set 13 handbrakes and only set 11.. or that's what's claimed to have happened.

As far as I can tell, if you saved the game while you were moving, running light or with cars, when you opened it again the train would be stopped and brakes applied. I've tried a couple of old DAR activities that were set up for MSTS where the train should have been moving at the start of the activity and OR opens the train in a stopped, brakes applied state.

#25 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:06 AM

I was thinking of what has happened in Lac Mégantic too, but decided not to mention it.

Anyway, putting it the above way I can´t add anything from my experience - only that it likely isn´t prototypical that way... :oldstry: :)

Cheers, Markus

#26 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:03 AM

Hi Paul,

View Postcharland, on 16 June 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

As far as I can tell, if you saved the game while you were moving, running light or with cars, when you opened it again the train would be stopped and brakes applied. I've tried a couple of old DAR activities that were set up for MSTS where the train should have been moving at the start of the activity and OR opens the train in a stopped, brakes applied state.

These are two different scenarios.

If you save when the player train is moving then, when you resume from that Save, the player train should be moving at the correct speed and brake status. Please let us know if you have a situation where this is not the case.

Some activities are designed to begin with the player train already in motion. OR doesn't do this yet but it's a shortcoming that we will be fixing shortly.

Hope that helps,

#27 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:43 AM

Sorry about that Chris,

You're right, the train does still move for a saved activity, just tried it again. I'm still learning OR so it must have been something I did wrong. I think I was still having problems with the short path in the Kentville Yard and it might have been about to go into emergency about the time I saved it so when I reopened it it might have went right into emerg instead of starting and stopping.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users