• You cannot reply to this topic

Path Bug Going off into Emergency Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:52 AM

DARv2,

DARv2_Tr_24 activity is the one I've had the problems with, ran DARv2_Extra 8138 South yesterday with a short path and two AI trains with no problems.

The route is on Train.sim do to it's size. All rolling stock is also there. Only thing I've done is to remove the "#" comments from the lighting entries to get the exterior sound working on the SW1200RSs, works fine in both activities.

I have to say it's like I've never seen these routes before, just having proper daylight is a treat.

I don't mind tinkering with the activities but I'd like to know what's actually causing this and I'll avoid it in future activities.

Paul :-)

#12 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:35 PM

I like to think MSTS vs OR is like...

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss MSTS just yet, at this point it's the only operating system that will display an MSTS route properly, displays equipment properly, allow activities to run as designed, properly operate correctly scripted signals, etc, etc.

Hopefully, OR will eventually surpass, but it's not there yet according to posted information.

#13 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

View Postcharland, on 10 June 2014 - 11:52 AM, said:

DARv2,

DARv2_Tr_24 activity is the one I've had the problems with, ran DARv2_Extra 8138 South yesterday with a short path and two AI trains with no problems.

The route is on Train.sim do to it's size. All rolling stock is also there. Only thing I've done is to remove the "#" comments from the lighting entries to get the exterior sound working on the SW1200RSs, works fine in both activities.

I have to say it's like I've never seen these routes before, just having proper daylight is a treat.

I don't mind tinkering with the activities but I'd like to know what's actually causing this and I'll avoid it in future activities.

I already had it installed, and I had previously ran the activity. The player path is created short, right in front of the shops. I had trouble (this was some versions of OR ago) because in manual there are quite a few switches to throw behind the engine and if you're not nimble enough you run through the switch and trouble. I had redrawn the path with reverse points and switches thrown to get the train on KV N02 in auto, and then continued the path down to the wye where it reversed through the wye and back into WD1. The only other change I made was at Hantsport where I took the west yard lead so I could be out of the AI traffic path. All switching was performed in manual.

Concerning the handbrakes being set on the train (KV NO2), not knowing much about railroad practice and safety, I thought this was normal procedure. Seemed reasonable to me? Just release all of them and away we go. Was not aware that was not the case in MSTS.

#14 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:02 PM

View PostCoonskin, on 10 June 2014 - 02:35 PM, said:

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss MSTS just yet, at this point it's the only operating system that will display an MSTS route properly, displays equipment properly, allow activities to run as designed, properly operate correctly scripted signals, etc, etc.

Hopefully, OR will eventually surpass, but it's not there yet according to posted information.

You viewpoint may be skewed by your years of experience and knowledge of MSTS. Look at it from my point of view. NO experience with MSTS. Find the two cd set in some junk I was going to throw away. Install it just for curiousity, Check out the community to see it if exists, amazed that it had grown so much in a decade. Shortly find Open Rails. Find it compatible (compatible, not a duplicate, replicate, or substitute) with most (gads about 95%) of MSTS content. Start using it seriously about year and a half now and have not looked back. Looks better, loads and runs faster, any trouble I've had I can either fix with the MSTS AE editor, or patiently wait for a bug to be fixed. And they do get fixed, this past year has seen a satisfying advancement of Open Rails. In terms of "displays properly"; "run activities as designed" and other such matters, OR is never going to be MSTS next Gen, and I'll leave that to be debated by all the folks with way more experience in MSTS, Railroading, Coding, Binary Obfustication and Opinionation to decide. :crazy: :D:D

My intention was not to dismiss MSTS (maybe the analogy was clumsy), but you may have both a plus and minus with your level of experience of MSTS. It's hard to let go of something that you have so much history with. Admittedly, all the tools needed by someone with your level of expertise are not present at the moment. Think about the number of programs you still use that are 5 to 10 years old and have not been updated or replaced by something more current. My experience is all with OR. Like a kid today that never knew a world without the digital capabilities we take for granted.

You know, one of the first payware routes I purchased was the A&O sub, it has a mini route all its own. I ran it for a few times in MSTS before getting into OR. First time it loaded and ran in OR on my new 16:9 monitor - :cool3: :) :yahoo: WOW - I know that's a superficial appraisement to use but that is what attracted me at first. Now that I have I little more experience I am beginning to appreciate the operational characteristics and improvements made in Open Rails. Believe me, years from now people will still use MSTS, it is in no danger of disappearing, a classic, and it will always have a community of users.

#15 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:40 AM

RE releasing handbrakes: You don´t have to go through the train op window and click every car to bring up the car operations menu and release the handbrakes from there, if that´s what you did. Just look into the keyboard help window (F1, Tab keyboard) and find "release handbrakes". This single key press (maybe it uses a modificator, than it´s two key presses) will release all handbrakes on the whole train :bigboss:

Cheers, Markus

#16 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:18 AM

Hi Markus,

I tried the key and nothing happened but have to admit I was a little frustrated by then and I'll try again! If this is the case that you can release all of the handbrakes at once, then it's not an issue.

I'll tinker with the path and see what works and what doesn't, still learning, this is just something a little different I have to learn.

Thanks,

#17 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:22 AM

Are you using a laptop computer? These sometimes come with awkward keyboard layouts and sys internal key definitions.

Anyway, you could try changing the required key press in the main menu -> Options -> Keyboard.

Last time I tried (about two weeks back) it worked fine for me (releasing the brakes, I mean, not changing the key :bigboss: ).

Cheers, Markus

#18 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:42 AM

Hi Markus,

No, a desktop, Windows 7.

Just stopped for a coffee, I'll extend the path and have another go at it. This time I won't go into manual until I'm getting ready to leave the yard and see how that goes.

Just a note...

I changed the path so the power starts at the shops as it always did, added a reverse point to back out onto the lead track, then another to get it going forward onto the main, then ended the path near the station. Ran the power to the point where I needed to back through a switch to pick up my train, changed to manual there, backed on to my train, used Markus's suggestion to release all the handbrakes in one shot, pumped up the air and headed north off the path and... it worked! Thanks.

#19 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:23 AM

So the handbrakes thingy worked now?

Glad it all could be resolved :sign_thanks:

Cheers, Markus

#20 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

Yes, worked well, better than releasing each one by one!

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users