• You cannot reply to this topic

Path Bug Going off into Emergency Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:23 AM

Hi All,

Must admit I'm pretty new to Open Rails and for the most part like what I'm seeing... thanks.

I'm using X2194, the one that's currently up on the website.

After running a few light engines and trains that were already assembled I've been trying to run a train where the activity starts by picking up your power at the shops and then picking up your train in the yard. It's a way freight, so there is always a few different ways to switch the cars around and at the end of the run have completed all your work, so in MSTS I've always just made the path long enough to get the train started but left the rest up to the operator. In other route I'd found it hard to read the person's mind who created the activity and if I didn't follow his path, I'd never finish the work order according to the game.

This morning I finally figured out that for some reason all the handbrakes are set on the train I'm picking up that's sitting in a flat yard... just glad it was only a dozen cars long. I finally got it moving only to have the emergency brake applied once I left the path... really?

Think this logic needs some work or some explanation for people creating activities. Is there a way to override this?

Paul :-)

#2 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:54 AM

If you want to run your train off it's path, e.g. for shunt duties, you have to switch to manual mode (CTRL-M).
It's all extensively explained in the OR manual.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#3 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:13 AM

Hi Ron,

I was in manual mode. I can try again from scratch and see if that makes a difference. I went into manual mode at the very beginning of the activity, coupled onto my train and by the time I figured out all the handbrakes needed to be released I was out of time, finally got the train pulling and hit F2 to save. When I went back and resumed the activity is when my train ran over the end of path and went into emergency. I thought maybe the saved activity went back to auto mode so I tried again, stopped the train, made sure it was in manual and started again only to go into emerg at the same spot.

#4 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:17 AM

Does the activity have any AI?

Cheers, Markus

#5 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:24 AM

View Postcharland, on 10 June 2014 - 07:13 AM, said:

Hi Ron,

I was in manual mode. I can try again from scratch and see if that makes a difference. I went into manual mode at the very beginning of the activity, coupled onto my train and by the time I figured out all the handbrakes needed to be released I was out of time, finally got the train pulling and hit F2 to save. When I went back and resumed the activity is when my train ran over the end of path and went into emergency. I thought maybe the saved activity went back to auto mode so I tried again, stopped the train, made sure it was in manual and started again only to go into emerg at the same spot.

It would clearly have helped if you had provided all this information right from the start - and a lot more info would indeed be welcome.
For instance : a screenshot with both F4 window and F5 - dispatcher HUD display selected just before you hit emergency could provide us with a lot of information which is relevant to this problem.
We're not clairvoyant, you know.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#6 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:00 AM

Hi Markus,

Yes, 44 minutes into the activity.

I have run another activity where the player train is assembled at a mine, you pull forward and stop shot of the maineline and wait for AI traffic to pass, then head about 15 miles south and have to take a siding until an AI train passes, then continue to you destination. I just checked the path for the player train and it too is a short path, only going from the mine where the activity begins to just short of the mainline so it does not foul the switch for the first AI train. From there south there is no path.

#7 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:05 AM

I wonder if some track clearing problem, where th AI intereferes with the player train could be the problem... I have played through similar activities quite often, without running into such problems...

Cheers, Markus

#8 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:20 AM

Hi Markus,

I asked Shawn and he thinks it's odd that all the handbrakes are set before the engines picks up the train, not sure it that's a sign of other things going wrong or not. The path of the AI train never touches any other path, The Kentville player train's path is only a few hundred feet long and the path for the AI train begins and ends about twenty miles away and is only long enough to have the RDC spawn and disappear out of sight of the Hantsport station.

#9 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:58 AM

OK, no luck with that then, I fear..

Cheers, Markus

#10 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

Hi Paul, please post, route name (and version if applicable) and activity name (and where it's downloadable if that's applicable). Would like to run it, certainly don't have your experience with MSTS and content creation, but a little ahead in the OR department. (Your routes look and work grand in OR ... sometimes activities need adjusting to achieve comparable results). I like to think MSTS vs OR is like the Dogers playing baseball at the Polo Grounds for years and then moving to a stadium built for baseball ... Hey this ain't right!, but once you get used to it (little learning curve) it feels and plays much better.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users