• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Timetable concept Alternative way to define running of trains

#461 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:46 PM

Rob, thank you for your work updating timetable mode. It's an important part of open rails with quite a bit more potential.
Christopher

#462 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:03 AM

Yes, I do agree. Thanks Rob.
I am putting together a reconstruction of a historical 1950s timetable. It is hugely satisfying mixing your player train with the AI, you feel part of a living breathing railway. Looking at the dispatch viewer, with all the trains carrying out their actual duties : I thought " WOW!no one has ever seen this overview : not even the original Southern Railway controller" (dispatcher).
Conversely, the original activity mode seems downright silly : AI trains popping up and disappearing out of no where...........
As a routebuilder, I`m fortunate to be able to designate many sidings as platforms, increasing timetable scope.
So, without being pushy or demanding, any update to timetable mode will be very much appreciated.
thanks, rick

#463 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:43 AM

roeter, on 31 January 2017 - 04:59 PM, said:

Re. Lights : that could be rather complicated.
I think light-units 4 and 5 are activated when the 'reverser' is in 'reverse'.
But when a train fully reverses, as in a run-round move, all units are 'flipped', and when moving forward the 'reverser' is (again) in the 'forward' position. It looks like the 'flipped' state is not taken into account when selection the appropriate light-unit - but it's something that needs more investigation.

As for the platform position : I recently found an error in the calculation of the train length when multiple consists are used. That could have something to do with your problems with the platform position. It's on the list to be corrected with the next timetable update which I am preparing but will still take a bit of time before it's all completed.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

Thanks for your response, Rob. Will be looking forward for those updates.

#464 User is offline   Buttercup 

• Conductor

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:06 AM

Is currently possible the run multiple timetable files together?

#465 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:09 AM

Yes, allthough it's not officially documented.
To run multiple timetables, you need to create a 'timetable list'. This is a plain textfile with file extention .timetablelist_or.
It's placed in the same directory as the timetables itself, and contains just a list of all required timetable files.
Comment lines can be inserted by placing '#' as first character, the first comment is taken as description and will be shown in the selection menu (if no description is provided, the filename will be shown).
If there is need to reference a train in another timetable (e.g. for $wait or $forms command), that reference must be set as <train>:<timetable>. For instance, if there are two timetables, named 'inbound' and 'outbound', and train A in the 'inbound' timetable is to form train B defined in 'outbound', the command will look like this : $forms B:outbound.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#466 User is offline   Buttercup 

• Conductor

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:31 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, that's really good news. I'm trying to model the modern passenger traffic on PRR East Region and this will help make the tables a little more manageable. I really enjoy running trains in Timetable mode and look forward to testing the new commands.

#467 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:44 PM

Eric, and others. I hope that some timetables will soon be shared. I'd love to run something like that on the PRR east. I hope to have something to share myself at some point.
Christopher

#468 User is offline   Buttercup 

• Conductor

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:03 AM

Unfortunatey I'm having many changes to the speedlimits and signal configurations to get the timing to match the published timetables so it woudn't work on another computer.

#469 User is offline   Buttercup 

• Conductor

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:59 AM

I quite often set up a "watcher" consist in timetable mode so I can jump from train to train. At present it is not possible to enter the cab of non-player trains. Will it eventually be possible to do this and in addition be able to have the cone of light tranfer to this train to allow headlights when running at night?

#470 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:53 AM

Allowing player to switch trains is somewhere on the list, but it may be a while before I get down to it. There will be some restrictions, though - in particular, both trains must be at a standstill. I don't like the idea of 'jumping' into and out of running trains. The need to switch trains is not as urgent as in activities - there, it is required in order to be able to check the behaviour of AI trains. As any train in the timetable can always be selected as start-off player train, there is no need for that.

As switching trains means that the new train is to be the player train, the cone of light will shift to the new train as well. It's not really that different from the present "form" function.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users