• You cannot reply to this topic

Timetable concept Alternative way to define running of trains

#441 User is offline   Serana 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:37 AM

View Postroeter, on 19 January 2017 - 01:46 AM, said:

Quite by accident I finally stumbled on the cause of this problem.
As these are 2 EMU's coupled together, am I right in supposing you have defined a 'multiple' consist for these trains, that is (for example), "EMU+EMU"?
If so, that is what is causing the problem. When defining multiple consists, the train length is not calculated correctly, it is set to the length of the last defined consist.
The error will be corrected after version 1.2 has been released, as part of a bit of an overall update of timetable mode.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

Alright, I will test it on my timetable once the code is committed.

Thank you.

#442 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:26 PM

View Postroeter, on 19 January 2017 - 01:46 AM, said:

The error will be corrected after version 1.2 has been released, as part of a bit of an overall update of timetable mode.

Please do not drop a big code update that nobody's seen before without getting an approved blueprint with discussion thread explaining what's changed.

#443 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:30 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 19 January 2017 - 01:26 PM, said:

Please do not drop a big code update that nobody's seen before without getting an approved blueprint with discussion thread explaining what's changed.

Don't worry - I know the rules. I will be submitting blueprints when I've finished my own testing, I won't commit anything until that's all agreed.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#444 User is offline   kevhead 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Switchman

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:25 PM

I do not think the timetable idea is the way to go maybe a AI dispatcher would be better for you.

#445 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:-

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:42 PM

Hello,

I am trying to create a timetable in which a freight train has to wait for a fast train. I am having a problem with that, and I believe this is because the train should wait in a siding and not a station platform.

Is there a way to make the train wait in the siding or is this not possible at all? I have tried using the $follow and $hold but none of these worked in this case.

I read in the manual that so far these commands can only be used in platforms. I am just wondering if there's a work-around to do this.

#446 User is offline   forevergone 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:ORTS Daily Build (BETA)

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:13 PM

View PostPA1930, on 26 January 2017 - 12:42 PM, said:

Hello,

I am trying to create a timetable in which a freight train has to wait for a fast train. I am having a problem with that, and I believe this is because the train should wait in a siding and not a station platform.

Is there a way to make the train wait in the siding or is this not possible at all? I have tried using the $follow and $hold but none of these worked in this case.

I read in the manual that so far these commands can only be used in platforms. I am just wondering if there's a work-around to do this.

You can add a platform marker for the siding so it is perceived as a station and use a $forcehold command in the "Note" column for that specific location only.
If you want you can send me your timetable snipping if you need help with it or do it over PM.

I had a similar issue with equipment trains. I believe $follow only works if the route is shared for the trains you are having a conflict with.

#447 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:17 PM

Another way to sort this problem is to terminate the train which needs to wait in the siding, and form it into a next train which starts at that location. Any $wait or $follow commands for the 'new' train can be entered in the #note row for this train, these will take effect as soon as the train is formed, at the location where this happens - so you don't need a platform.
It may look odd when creating the timetable, but when running you will not notice that the train terminates and restarts, and there is also no problem when running that train as player train as the player will also automatically continue with the 'new' train.

Note : the $follow command is very similar to the $wait command - the difference is that the $wait command applies only to the first common point of the two trains following from the position where the $wait is defined, whereas the $follow common will apply to all locations where the two trains share a path.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#448 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:-

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:41 AM

Hello to both,

@forevergone: That is a nice suggestion but adding a platform marker implies to edit the route and I'm not so interested to move into that point. In this specific case, I shall proceed by Rob's suggestion. But thanks for your input!

@Rob: Many thanks for your suggestion. I want to try your approach, however, I'm going to guess that the path cannot be a single one, correct? It needs to be a path which ends in the siding and another which starts from the same siding, correct?

#449 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:56 AM

Yes, that's right - the path must be split in two, each train has its own path.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#450 User is offline   forevergone 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:ORTS Daily Build (BETA)

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:01 AM

View Postroeter, on 27 January 2017 - 07:56 AM, said:

Yes, that's right - the path must be split in two, each train has its own path.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

I think this brings up a good point in differentiating between sidings and platforms. I'm an avid user of the timetable format and Rob has helped me a lot in the past as well.

Would it be a big change to recognize the sidings within the timetable in capital letters, ie "SIDING NAME" and "Station Name".

That way ORTS will make the train stop and start at the siding as it would at a station if the Name is presented in all caps, despite it being a siding.
I have done my workaround by not using any sidings in the environment and just using a station with all caps, plug making it blue font in my timetable as a reminder.

Attached Image: Sample SIding suggestion.jpg

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users