• You cannot reply to this topic

some steam locomotives don't work in OR Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   luckyjoeoo6 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:32 AM

Hi,

I am using ORTS instead of MSTS for about 1 Year and generally I think the developpers of ORTS did a great job.

My problem with steam locotives under ORTS is, the boilers run out of water.

The boilers develop enough steam, but the steam injectors cannot supply the boilers with the sufficient amount of water.

I know MSTS had an unrealistic low consumption of water. But with ORTS all my steam engines from different countries stall within a 100 km, when they work hard, because of the lack of water although the 2 steam injectors work with full 100 % power.

It would help me a lot, if somebody could tell me, whether and where in the eng.-files I can change the values of the injector capabilities .

(Excuse my kind of English, it`s nearly 50 years ago, when I learned it and usually I speak German)

Regards

#22 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:33 AM

View Postluckyjoeoo6, on 07 June 2014 - 03:32 AM, said:

Hi,

I am using ORTS instead of MSTS for about 1 Year and generally I think the developpers of ORTS did a great job.

My problem with steam locotives under ORTS is, the boilers run out of water.

The boilers develop enough steam, but the steam injectors cannot supply the boilers with the sufficient amount of water.

I know MSTS had an unrealistic low consumption of water. But with ORTS all my steam engines from different countries stall within a 100 km, when they work hard, because of the lack of water although the 2 steam injectors work with full 100 % power.

It would help me a lot, if somebody could tell me, whether and where in the eng.-files I can change the values of the injector capabilities .

(Excuse my kind of English, it`s nearly 50 years ago, when I learned it and usually I speak German)

Regards

Sorry for the late reply, I assumed spiked topics were static. The problem here is likely to the overall poor setup of the eng file. One parameter that MSTS provided but did not use that OR does use that can cause running out of steam and water is boiler volume. This needs to be a reasonable accurate figure. An initial figure to try is 10 to 12 times the locos grate area, so if a loco has a 50 sqft grate a boiler volume of 500 to 600 cubic ft will be about right. I have found quite a few MSTS steamers have this value way to small.

Lindsay

#23 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:31 PM

Two thoughts on reading these posts. First off, Markus, there is a tendency when coming off of an uphill grade onto level or near level track to leave the cutoff on too much. You should bring your cutoff up as close to center as you can until your speed starts to fall off then put it forward a couple of notches to stabilize the speed. If you leave your cutoff too far forward and try to control your speed with the regulator you will suck your boiler dry of steam when the speed increases. This is the fastest way I know to loose your pressure.

Secondly, how about a tender water and fuel level on page one of the F5 HUD, up where it can be clearly read during the duration of the run? I know it is on the steam performance page but it's buried amongst lots of other elements. Those of us coming to OR from MSTS,, where there was virtually unlimited water in the tank, need the heads up to know we're getting low on water. I just got finished with a switching turn out of San Bernardino to Corona and back, about a five hour activity and when I took water at Berdoo I was shocked to see that I only had about 10% left! I'm glad my 3160 Class Mike had a 15,000 gallon tender and not one of the 12,000 gallon variety! I'd still be out at Riverside looking for a firehose! :rotfl: :oldstry:

#24 User is offline   copperpen 

• Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:42 PM

I have been asking for a steam HUD for quite a while now. I understand there is something in the works but have no idea as to the progress. It is I think going to be customisable by the user.

#25 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:15 PM

That would be great!

#26 User is offline   markus_GE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:35 AM

:D for the tip, Herb. I´ll try it out soon (that steam itch is infectious, you know, with all the talk going on about it :))

Cheers, Markus

#27 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:02 PM

View Postmarkus_GE, on 13 September 2014 - 07:35 AM, said:

:D for the tip, Herb. I´ll try it out soon (that steam itch is infectious, you know, with all the talk going on about it :))

Cheers, Markus

Gets under the skin and must be scratched! :lol2:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users