The fil is posted! Thank you again! Luca

Attached File(s)

#12 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:45 AM

View Postmarkus_GE, on 20 May 2014 - 12:52 AM, said:

Sorry to say you´re wrong, but I have stalled more than once driving steamers on the relatively flat (opposed to Cajon or Donner Passes) ATSF Needles Sub dur to low steam pressure. And that with a Mountain-type loco and 20 cars (and maybe poor valve-control handling, but that alone can´t be the cause).

Cheers, Markus

Stalling is different to running out of steam. Running in auto fireman mode in MSTS steam pressure will never fall below 45% of max. This however can be insufficient for a train to climb a slight grade, thus stalling. In manual mode, MSTS is same as OR, you run out if the correct stoking and driving methods are not used.

#13 User is offline   markus_GE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:00 AM

Well, I was literally out of steam, with 20 PSI being far below what a Mountain should have in its boiler. But I´ll take a look if it might be something havoc with the engine file...

Cheers, Markus

#14 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:27 AM

View Postcacciuccofs, on 20 May 2014 - 05:23 AM, said:

The fil is posted! Thank you again! Luca

Looking at the file it has a small boiler, and a double cylinder diameter statement, which neither OR nor MSTS uses. OR also ignores the total cylinder volume, instead using the stroke and diameter plus the number of cylinders to calculate the total volume.

CylinderDiameter ( 54 + 80cm )?. is it 54 or 80? choose one. Either CylinderDiameter ( 54cm ) or CylinderDiameter ( 80cm ).

Attached is a pdf that seems not to be part of the current ORTS update system. This gives a list of ORTS specific parameters that can be added to a steam eng file to improve performance. One that has to be in place is the grate area ORTSGrateArea because it is the base for everything else. These extra lines will not affect MSTS.

The Steam Variables line is NOT used by OR and can be ignored.

Attached File(s)

#15 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:32 AM

View Postmarkus_GE, on 20 May 2014 - 09:00 AM, said:

Well, I was literally out of steam, with 20 PSI being far below what a Mountain should have in its boiler. But I´ll take a look if it might be something havoc with the engine file...

Cheers, Markus

Otto the MSTS fireman does have an annoying habit of slamming the injectors on at the wrong time, and they do use a lot of steam, too much in fact. 20psi is a figure I have never seen in an engine the size of a Mountain. Lowest I expect there would be 100 - 125psi. However, if driving with regulator wide open and reverser in full forward at speed, then it is indeed possible to drop below this basic minima because the boiler cannot keep up. Under normal driving this will not happen.

#16 User is offline   markus_GE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:44 AM

Well, powering a twenty car consists (even if all are loaded) up a 1% grade shouldn´t require the engineer to crank the throttle wide open - it didn´t, and nevertheless I went out of steam. But I think I got the problem: Cylinder volume was a "little" high. Reduced it, just in case I´ll ever fire her up together with MSTS and that´s it. Consider it a bug in the ENG file and me somebody who shouldn´t wonder if :help: ;)

Cheers, Markus

#17 User is offline   cacciuccofs 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:54 AM

Hi guys!!I tried to modify the steam locomotive CylinderDiameter and I added ORTSGrateArea in the file Eng. Maybe it WORKS!!During the activity
steam loco didn't lose water in few seconds and it runs regular! Is a tutorial of steam engines values exist to modify eng files for working in OR? Thanks!!!

See you next times!

Luca

#18 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:14 AM

Based on past experience playing with the figures...EngineVariables( sets up the condition of a locomotive at the commencement of a session, whether in Explore Mode, or in an Activity, in MSTS.

You can test this by refering to Richter's ENG guide and finding the start BP figure in the EngineVariables data line and changing it to a pressure 10 lbs higher than the max boiler figure shown in the ENG file. When starting the session the BPV will be blowing off because the 'extra' steam pressure is high enough to set it off.

It is handy to use this method to check whether you have the correct BPV coordinates in the ENG. Some locomotives have twin BPV setup in the ENG.

You can also use the EngineVariables line for setting up a locomotive so it needs refuelling prior to starting work by making the coal and water amounts below those stated earlier in the ENG file. These figures are the maximum for coal and water in the tender bunkers. Ditto if the loco is a tank loco.

Cheers Bazza

#19 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:14 PM

Fine Bazza, but we are chatting about the problem in OR here, where those variables are not used..

#20 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:16 PM

View Postcacciuccofs, on 21 May 2014 - 03:54 AM, said:

Hi guys!!I tried to modify the steam locomotive CylinderDiameter and I added ORTSGrateArea in the file Eng. Maybe it WORKS!!During the activity
steam loco didn't lose water in few seconds and it runs regular! Is a tutorial of steam engines values exist to modify eng files for working in OR? Thanks!!!

See you next times!

Luca

Glad it is now working Luca. That pdf file I uploaded here is the closest we have to a manual at present. If the engine seems not powerful enough, increase the boiler size a bit, then do the same to the cylinder diameter and the grate area. Only make small changes to each one, and test to check performance.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users