Elvas Tower: Open Rails installer - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Open Rails installer Ready for testing Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:42 AM

I've assembled the necessary files into a single Setup.exe which will install Open Rails on Windows PCs together with any pre-requisites needed, such as .NET and XNA. It adds Open Rails to the Windows registry and provides an uninstaller too. I'm using the Inno Setup product.

The installer checks to make sure that the Windows is XP (with Service Pack 2) or a later Windows.
Also it installs .NET v3.5 SP1 Redistributable, if needed.
Also it installs XNA v3.1 Redistributable, if needed

I've made 2 versions:
setup_OR_pre-v1.0_from_download.exe is the small one. It's 20MB because it includes the XNA file. The 240MB .NET file is downloaded automatically if needed.
setup_OR_pre-v1.0_from_DVD.exe is the large one. It's 256MB because it includes both the XNA and the .NET file. The idea is that this can be included in a DVD for routes which are too large to be downloaded (e.g. Mid East Plus).

It works for me on a small number of PCs, so I would be grateful for anyone who has a spare PC to give it a try and report problems here.

Thanks,

#2 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:59 AM

Here are the screen dumps for installation on a Windows 7 PC:
Step 1:
Attached Image: install01.jpg
I could apply a certificate so the publisher would read "Chris Jakeman", which is better than "Unknown Publisher". It costs about $150/year to get a certificate for OpenRails.org :-(

Step 2:
Attached Image: install02.jpg

Step 3:
Attached Image: install03.jpg

Step 4:
Attached Image: install04.jpg

Step 5:
Attached Image: install05.jpg

Step 6:
Attached Image: install06.jpg

Step 7:
Attached Image: install07.jpg

Step 8:
Attached Image: install08.jpg

Step 9:
Attached Image: install09.jpg

Step 10:
Attached Image: install10.jpg

Step 11:
Attached Image: install11.jpg
Unpacking and installing XNA takes a while. I tried to provide a separate progress bar but couldn't manage it so we just sit here for a minute. For the longer .NET installation, there is a progress bar.

Step 12: Readme.txt - part 1/3
Attached Image: install12.jpg
I've re-written the Readme.txt to suit.

I will be changing v0.9++ to pre-v1.0 to match the installer filenames. I expect there will be a fresh installer for each major version OR v1.0, OR v1.1 etc.
Now that James has provided a convenient update mechanism, there is no need for more installers than this.

Step 13: Readme.txt - part 2/3
Attached Image: install13.jpg

Step 14: Readme.txt - part 3/3
Attached Image: install14.jpg

Step 15:
Attached Image: install15.jpg

Step 16:
Attached Image: install16.jpg
I've modified the initial prompt, so that it doesn't suggest that MSTS is required.

Step 17:
Attached Image: install17.jpg
There's an uninstaller too.

#3 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:18 AM

Looks like a fine step forward Chris.

#4 User is offline   That Genset Foamer 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:22 AM

For the digital signatures, I think you could contact James Ross...he's got a bunch of signatures on his builds.

Anyway, the install worked like a charm. Installed it, updated to X2186, all is well. It also detected my MSTS registry entries and started up my setup with ho hassle at all! http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbup3.gif

#5 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:12 AM

View Postcjakeman, on 18 April 2014 - 02:59 AM, said:

I could apply a certificate so the publisher would read "Chris Jakeman", which is better than "Unknown Publisher". It costs about $150/year to get a certificate for OpenRails.org :-(

If you'd like, I can sign the files if I can generate the whole things cleanly (and for free) from a configuration file.

Step 9:
Attachment install09.jpg

Step 10:
Attachment install10.jpg

I hope there aren't two identical screens here. :oldstry:

Now that James has provided a convenient update mechanism, there is no need for more installers than this.

We'll have to decide what update plan we want here. If we want them to get the weekly experimental releases, just copy that Updater.ini in place; otherwise, we'll need to set up a different update target.

It's also worth bearing in mind that my updater code is still very primitive - it cannot cope with a typical installed environment.

Step 15:
Attachment install15.jpg

I hope that runs without elevation. :cool3: (Not every installer gets that right.)

Thanks for doing this, an installer is very useful to have.

#6 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

View PostThat Genset Foamer, on 18 April 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:

Anyway, the install worked like a charm. Installed it, updated to X2186, all is well. It also detected my MSTS registry entries and started up my setup with no hassle at all!

Thanks for trying it out. Good to get some feedback.

We could do with a few more people trying it out on a variety of targets before we release it. How about Vista or Windows 8 anyone?

#7 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:39 AM

Hi James,

View PostJames Ross, on 19 April 2014 - 06:12 AM, said:

We'll have to decide what update plan we want here. If we want them to get the weekly experimental releases, just copy that Updater.ini in place; otherwise, we'll need to set up a different update target.

It's also worth bearing in mind that my updater code is still very primitive - it cannot cope with a typical installed environment.

Once tested a bit more, my intention was to put a link to the small installer on OpenRails.org, so that our new users don't have to mess about with XNA (and even .NET 3.5 SP1). If you have something that needs attention first, I'm happy to wait until you give the OK.

We could wait until the release of v1.0 if you prefer.

I don't know much about SVN, so could you suggest a location in SVN where I can save the scripts that create the installers? Should I also save the redistributables in SVN? If so, can we save them in a way that doesn't download the redistributables by default for everyone using SVN Checkout?

#8 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:14 AM

View Postcjakeman, on 19 April 2014 - 07:39 AM, said:

Once tested a bit more, my intention was to put a link to the small installer on OpenRails.org, so that our new users don't have to mess about with XNA (and even .NET 3.5 SP1). If you have something that needs attention first, I'm happy to wait until you give the OK.

You can certainly do that but there's no point including Updater.ini currently, as it won't work in an installed scenario. I hope to address that in time but not in the very near future.

View Postcjakeman, on 19 April 2014 - 07:39 AM, said:

I don't know much about SVN, so could you suggest a location in SVN where I can save the scripts that create the installers? Should I also save the redistributables in SVN? If so, can we save them in a way that doesn't download the redistributables by default for everyone using SVN Checkout?

You can't avoid people downloading things in Subversion when most people will check out the root (trunk) rather than the Source directory. I don't think we want any new generated files going in to Subversion, having just gotten rid of all the application ones. :) Put the installer config files in Source\Installer I think.

#9 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:44 AM

Does it detect and delete a previous (manual) install? If so, are personal settings maintained?

--------------
David

#10 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:40 AM

View Postdforrest, on 20 April 2014 - 06:44 AM, said:

Does it detect and delete a previous (manual) install? If so, are personal settings maintained?

It won't be able to find any non-installer installs because there will be no way to find them. All settings are maintained in the recommended locations so won't be affected by where or how you install it. :)

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users