Elvas Tower: 3D Cabs - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 80 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3D Cabs Rate Topic: -----

#641 User is offline   YoRyan 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails/unstable

Posted 29 November 2020 - 04:45 PM

Vapor, to help us debug this issue, is it possible you could provide a sample of a locomotive with 3D cabs at both ends?

#642 User is offline   VAPOR3D 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 November 2020 - 09:03 PM

View PostYoRyan, on 29 November 2020 - 04:45 PM, said:

Vapor, to help us debug this issue, is it possible you could provide a sample of a locomotive with 3D cabs at both ends?

Hello, thanks, I explained that this is not a single locomotive with cabs at the ends but the cabs of the drive units at both ends of a train.

The only problem that I still have and that I have not been able to solve is the fact that the digital screens are always shown in one direction, and that makes the screens of the end unit that is in the reverse position always show the screens in the opposite direction.

#643 User is offline   YoRyan 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:Open Rails/unstable

Posted 29 November 2020 - 10:43 PM

Right, to help us debug that issue, we'll need a sample locomotive with a rear-end 3D cab. I don't personally have any content that fits that criteria.

#644 User is offline   VAPOR3D 

• Conductor

Posted 30 November 2020 - 10:05 AM

View PostYoRyan, on 29 November 2020 - 10:43 PM, said:

Right, to help us debug that issue, we'll need a sample locomotive with a rear-end 3D cab. I don't personally have any content that fits that criteria.

Very well, thank you very much. As soon as I can, I will prepare the files, upload them to wetransfer and send them to you in a private message. I will need your email address.

#645 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 12 December 2020 - 11:49 PM

Geoff (MrMoSky) is building a 3D cab for a steam locomotive that I am making. The cab front looks really fantastic and has lots of working controls. So I have tried to add some more detail to the tender to improve the appearance. This raises some questions. Is the tender part of the cab of a tender locomotive? Should the controls that are on the tender operate? Is it better for the inside of the tender to be part of the tender model or part of the cab? Obviously it needs to be parented to the tender in the same way that the main cab is parented to the loco so that the two articulate. It would be good to get some thoughts on this. Here is the right hand side of my tender https://imgur.com/iL5qYpK.jpg
The water level gauge is there. I would really like to see this working as I dislike having the tender water level gauge pretending to be a boiler gauge glass (as in MSTS). I think as a short term solution Geoff may be able to make this work as part of the cab rather than part of the tender. For the future we need to think about could it work as part of the tender? Also there is the handle to lower the water scoop and an indicator to show if the scoop is up or down. The water scoop control appears in engine controllers in the eng file. Would it be possible perhaps to have a cvf file line that could make both the handle and the indicator work on the tender? This is the left hand side of the tender https://imgur.com/IbCm8uq.jpg The left side has the handbrake. I am not sure if you can put a handbrake into a cvf file, but it can be put into an eng file. I was thinking that for tender locomotives perhaps we should change handbrake operation. As the handbrake is applied to the tender and not (normally) to the locomotive wheels, possibly if we put a handbrake control in the engine controllers and then set MaxHandbrakeForce ( 0kN ) for the loco, but say MaxHandbrakeForce ( 25kN ) for the tender - then when the handbrake control was operated via the eng file that the handbrake would be applied on the tender. Any thoughts from others? Darwin

#646 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 30 December 2020 - 10:35 PM

General question about 3D cabs--night textures--are they possible/allowed? I was trying to do this to make front- or side-lit gauges (in combination with "bright" texture modes). Unlike modern locomotives, that have backlit gauges, older locomotives (particularly steam engines) had front- or side-lit gauges...and I'm not a fan of struggling to read the boiler pressure, brake pressure and water glass in (almost) total darkness!

A system for allowing true in-cab lighting (a la Train Simulator 20xx) would be something to consider in the future.

#647 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 30 December 2020 - 10:42 PM

Afraid, the answer will address us to the days of complete monogame migration again :(
But any useful ideas, like this, MUST BE recorded and stored until that times. I think.

#648 User is offline   mrmosky 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Openrails

Posted 31 December 2020 - 12:35 AM

View PostTraindude, on 30 December 2020 - 10:35 PM, said:

General question about 3D cabs--night textures--are they possible/allowed? I was trying to do this to make front- or side-lit gauges (in combination with "bright" texture modes). Unlike modern locomotives, that have backlit gauges, older locomotives (particularly steam engines) had front- or side-lit gauges...and I'm not a fan of struggling to read the boiler pressure, brake pressure and water glass in (almost) total darkness!

A system for allowing true in-cab lighting (a la Train Simulator 20xx) would be something to consider in the future.

Night textures are allowed, and they work really well in tunnels too.

Geoff

#649 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 01 January 2021 - 05:57 AM

Seen speed-meter's scale issue.
Zero&Maximum needle positions matches to scale, but intermediate readings don't match...
Where could be a fault?

#650 User is offline   mrmosky 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Openrails

Posted 01 January 2021 - 07:04 AM

I have found this too. What I do is to put an intermediate value in the animation.

So in my speedometer, the zero position is 40 degrees from vertical downwards, and the 100 mph position is at 320 degrees, but I add another one at 50 mph which is 180 degrees.

My animaton in TSM (32 steps) is rotation in the z axis:

Step 0 40
Step 16 180
Step 32 320

This works for me.

Geoff

Attached Image: speedo_body.jpg

• 80 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic