Elvas Tower: New loading screen - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New loading screen Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:16 AM

If you have the "logging" checkbox unchecked, rel 1896 crashes just after having clicked the "Start" button.

#12 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:22 AM

IMPORTANT!!!

In this new version, the 'dispatch' window can longer be activated. CTRL-9 is the command for this window but pressing these keys in the new version leads to nothing.
Please restore this ASAP!

Thanks,
Rob Roeterdink

#13 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:31 AM

Though I like the start-up window and especially the additional features this can bring (like showing route images), I do very much miss the on-line trace information.

When looking into problems or adding new features I often add TRACE statements to get additional info on what is happening. Because this is shown immediately, there is a good feedback between action and information.
As both train control and signalling processes are dynamic, the 'static' debugger often can not be used.
Checking the trace-information afterwards using the log-file is no good as then the link between action and information is missing. I fear I am going to have to spend a lot more time in testing without this window.

So I would very much appreciate if the 'rolling window' could be reinstated, at least as an option.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#14 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:26 AM

Console can be restored in RunActivity Properties, Application frame, Output type list: change it to Console Application instead of Windows Application.

#15 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:25 AM

Another problem : if I try to recompile RunActivity after running it, I get an error report : RunActivity.exe is locked by another application.
If I try to delete RunActivity.exe, I get the report : File is still opened by Open Rail Activity Runner.
Aparantly, the RunActivity.exe (and also Menu.exe) are not properly released on closure.

This means I have to restart my PC every time I want to compile RunActivity - not very usefull.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

Edit : this no longer occured after I had changed it back to Console Application.

#16 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:21 AM

Yet another problem : I had a crash, and the well-known "report a bug" window popped up. I pressed continue, but rather then stopping the program restarted - but doing everything twice. Obviously it crashed again, it restarted again on "Continue" - now doing everything three times etc.
The final log-file looks quite impressive : Attached File  OpenRailsLog.txt (58.34K)
Number of downloads: 526.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#17 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

Further info : I had various occasions, both during start-up and while running, that Windows stopped the program ("this program has stopped running"), yet the log-file showed no error.
I do not know if there indeed was an error (I still sometimes have XNA crashes), so it is just that the error is not reported, or if there was no error and Windows closes the program without any clear reason.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#18 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:17 AM

If RunActivity.exe is locked, then you can kill it from task manager processes list; most probably at least one more instance is running. Thus no need for a restart.

#19 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

IMO it's pretty clear something needs to be added to let the user know work is contining and that the game isn't hung up. So... another suggestion for you to consider: The loading goes thru a standard sequence of file types... how about adding a line under the existing text ("Open Rails is loading...") some of the names of the file type?

Open Rails is loading...

.tdb
.rdb
signals
terrain
world files
trains

would probably be sufficient. If more frequent "updates" are needed then perhaps the name of each world file as that portion of the loading should be the longest period of time and so most in need of "updates".

Doesn't really matter to me if the 6 lines I'm suggesting are displayed in 1 or in 6... but IMO 1 might look better.

p.s. my editor is complaining about the encoding used in the log file. What is it?

#20 User is online   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:47 PM

View PostSweetErin, on 22 December 2013 - 08:11 PM, said:

that sounds a lot like the MSTS install bar, but still a really good idea

How 'bout a high speed rail train - or some a very nice custom steam engine --- better yet --- a users choice between the two defaults or a model of their own. Cheers rhs (Gerry)

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users