Elvas Tower: New loading screen - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New loading screen Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 23 January 2014 - 03:55 AM, said:

There are Win32 APIs for creating a console where none exists (and discarding one you don't want), so it may be possible to get it working as a switch.

If you use Notepad++ as your text editor to view the OpenRailsLog.txt file, then you can get it to refresh the log file automatically every 3 seconds, so you can watch it grow.

You do this by using the Plugin Manager to install the Document Monitor plugin (which will be listed as it is part of the standard installation). Then turn it on and your current file will be refreshed every 3 seconds.

#62 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

View Postcjakeman, on 23 January 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

If you use Notepad++ as your text editor to view the OpenRailsLog.txt file, then you can get it to refresh the log file automatically every 3 seconds, so you can watch it grow.

You do this by using the Plugin Manager to install the Document Monitor plugin (which will be listed as it is part of the standard installation). Then turn it on and your current file will be refreshed every 3 seconds.

Or you can do this in PowerShell (standard on Windows Vista and up, installable on Windows XP):

gc -wait "$env:USERPROFILE\Desktop\OpenRailsLog.txt"

#63 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:31 PM

Thanks James, this is the answer that gets my highest rating! :lol2:

#64 User is offline   BillC 

• Conductor
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 23 January 2014 - 12:58 PM, said:

Or you can do this in PowerShell (standard on Windows Vista and up, installable on Windows XP):

gc -wait "$env:USERPROFILE\Desktop\OpenRailsLog.txt"

Thanks for the solution, James. Added benefit no programming involved. :-)

View Postgpz, on 23 January 2014 - 04:33 AM, said:

A Doom (or Quake?)-like approach would be also interesting, where the console was built into the game. :lol2:

Peters, suggestion could have interesting possibilities for the future. Consider high level scripting language, Lua, or Python for example. Along with an API, would enable user program in the game.

#65 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:40 AM

View PostWalter Conklin, on 26 January 2014 - 05:26 AM, said:

Would it be possible, if it is not too much work, to give users the option to run the route loading screen in a minimized window? Why I am inquiring is because often I like to surf the Internet and perform other tasks while I wait for OR to load a route.

Unfortunately no, this is simply not possible. When minimized, the graphics device is lost, and any elements loaded while it is lost are unfortunately then broken. This is I think a kind-of weird bug in XNA, however, even with their side fixed the loading would only end up happening again once you unminimized the window. If you want to do other stuff while loading, the best option is to start OR not fullscreen and then go fullscreen when it is done.

#66 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 26 January 2014 - 05:40 AM, said:

If you want to do other stuff while loading, the best option is to start OR not fullscreen and then go fullscreen when it is done.

That's pretty much what I do and I have no problems while doing that as far as I noticed. :)I play on ORTS with maximum resultion of my PC but I play on it windowed.

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users