• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ORTS Wish List 2013-06 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

A small wish: it is possible to suppress control confirmations, but not the wheelslip warnings together and the related buzz: why not suppress also them when one requires that control confirmation is suppressed?

#2 User is offline   jtr1962 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

1) Curve friction (should be easy to implement at this point because we're already using curve radius to calculate superelevation, and curve friction is inversely proportional to curve radius). Maybe at the same time we can also implement a new sound control variable which is proportional to centrifugal force in order to generate curve squeal sounds. Curve squeal really adds a realistic ambiance, and it's missing from both MSTS and OR
2) Headlight shouldn't be visible during the day, and should be a lot dimmer at night.
3) Display current track gradient in either track monitor or HUD.
4) Have a resetable distance counter in the HUD (similar to the one in MSTS bin) which reads in either feet or meters.
5) Use AVX/AVX2 extensions on processors which support them.
6) Allow different FOV for cabcam and external cams. I find that the cabcam needs a higher FOV than the external cams to look natural (i.e. FOV 60-65 for cabcam, 45-50 for external cams).
7) Increase the 360 km/hr wheel speed limit when operating in advanced adhesion mode. Some high-speed trains can go quite a bit faster than 360 km/hr.
8) Improve the appearance of overhead wires, especially in curves and switches (for example-see this picture).

#3 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:20 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 09 June 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

A small wish: it is possible to suppress control confirmations, but not the wheelslip warnings together and the related buzz: why not suppress also them when one requires that control confirmation is suppressed?

The optional confirmations messages echo your commands back to you, so you know that you pressed the right key etc..

The Wheelslip warning is in a different category - announcements by the simulator to the player. If you don't have the HUD visible, how else are you going to know about the wheelslip?

#4 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:08 AM

View Postcjakeman, on 09 June 2013 - 11:20 PM, said:

If you don't have the HUD visible, how else are you going to know about the wheelslip?

With this: WHEELSLIP MULTI_STATE_DISPLAY (available in cabviews under MSTS and also under ORTS as far as I can see in the source code).

#5 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:34 AM

Far as wheelslip display goes, if the engine has a wheelslip display there is no need for an onscreen display. The problem is, not many engines have this display, so you have to run with the HUD. However, there is no need far as I am aware for the notification bar unless you do not have the HUD running, or are out of the cab.

Speaking of wheelslip, I am currently running an activity on the new Marias Pass version 5 which is set in Winter/Snow. The player train has two dash9 for power and is totally unable to run properly due to the excessive wheelslip. The wheelslip seems to be tied into train speed, forcing you as the driver into lower and lower throttle notches. This results in a total inability to climb a grade in anything other that perfect weather, and even then it is questionable. Currently running X1636.

#6 User is offline   Matej Pacha 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

View Postcopperpen, on 10 June 2013 - 06:34 AM, said:

Speaking of wheelslip, I am currently running an activity on the new Marias Pass version 5 which is set in Winter/Snow. The player train has two dash9 for power and is totally unable to run properly due to the excessive wheelslip. The wheelslip seems to be tied into train speed, forcing you as the driver into lower and lower throttle notches. This results in a total inability to climb a grade in anything other that perfect weather, and even then it is questionable. Currently running X1636.

I'd like to see the real-world experience from Marias Pass - just have a train similar to the real one and climb the same hill. I cannot make MP v5 running but the original Marias Pass seems to be much above the grades of the real world route. The second issue can be found in original MSTS Dash9 - MSTS cannot compute the traction force correctly - it uses more power thus the MSTS has different (higher) performance. Anyway - operating the train at a maximal force results in the traction motors being overloaded. I cannot imagine such a situation for longer than 5 minutes...
To have traction motors modelled with a thermal model in ORTS is my private wishlist ;-)

Matej

#7 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:48 AM

The default Marias Pass grades are definitely too steep. The rework called MP3.1 and this latest version seem to be much closer to the real world. If the original Dash9 is overpowered, then every diesel we have must suffer from the same thing. Far as I know, traction motors do have a max power 1 hour rating, duration varies according to manufacturer specs and operating temperature. Therefore, as long as the traction motor is capable, and adhesion allows, speed is not a consideration for wheelslip conditions. Further to this, the sander when applied does work in MSTS but not in OR.

EDIT: I feel it would be better if the engineer (player) had the facility to drive to the load meter, too long in the red sector would require a period of lower power to allow for cooling. This along with a proper adhesion model would work very well.

#8 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

However, there is no need far as I am aware for the notification bar unless you do not have the HUD running, or are out of the cab.

Agreed. We could refine the logic so the notification only appears when needed. Let's add it to the Wish List.

What about the Alerter?

#9 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

Far as wheelslip display goes, if the engine has a wheelslip display there is no need for an onscreen display. The problem is, not many engines have this display, so you have to run with the HUD.

I partly can't agree. If the simulated engine does not have a wheelslip display because such display is missing also in its real world counterpart, and by consequence the engineer does not have such info in reality, why should the OR player be more privileged and have such info?

#10 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

Then by following this logically, remove the HUD train info pages. Only have on HUD the pure OR data, no AI display, no train force display.

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users