Elvas Tower: Proposal for driver aids - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Proposal for driver aids Covers most of the in-game GUI Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:38 PM

View Postscottb613, on 17 January 2015 - 11:43 AM, said:

Yep - I noticed the "F5/Forces" page and it's very helpful but that only shows the real time grades... I think what we need is the grade added to the Track Monitor display - as it is a significant track condition and so we can see/plan for what's coming in the future... It could be as simple as placing the [+] or [-] (up or down) number for the track grade at the 1, 2, and 3 mile point of the Track Monitor - as then we would have some idea of what is coming... No fancy graphics really needed... No rush for any of this - as I'm sure everyone has plenty on their plate - just wanted to be sure my suggestion was clear...

It's very much part of the plan to have gradient among the features shown in the future Track Monitor. ETCS (which Peter mentions) will be serving as an inspiration and basis for it, although not necessarily the exact template.

#42 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:58 PM

Hi Folks,

LOL - put that ETCS monitor on my iPad - now we're talk'n !!!
:sweatingbullets:

Understand - thanks for the consideration and information...

The exponential increments make sense too...

Regards,
Scott

#43 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:10 PM

View Postscottb613, on 17 January 2015 - 11:43 AM, said:

... I think what we need is the grade added to the Track Monitor display - as it is a significant track condition and so we can see/plan for what's coming in the future... It could be as simple as placing the [+] or [-] (up or down) number for the track grade at the 1, 2, and 3 mile point of the Track Monitor - as then we would have some idea of what is coming... No fancy graphics really needed... No rush for any of this - as I'm sure everyone has plenty on their plate - just wanted to be sure my suggestion was clear...
Regards,
Scott

I would have to respectfully disagree. Gradient needs to be real time, not future. I am much more concerned with what is under my drivers right now than what might be a mile ahead. If I can't adjust to the grade I'm on I may stall before I get there! :p :sweatingbullets:

#44 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:19 PM

View Postatsf37l, on 17 January 2015 - 01:10 PM, said:

I would have to respectfully disagree. Gradient needs to be real time, not future. I am much more concerned with what is under my drivers right now than what might be a mile ahead. If I can't adjust to the grade I'm on I may stall before I get there! :p :sweatingbullets:

It depends what you're driving, I suspect. For a steamer, especially if you're doing manual firing, you should be quite concerned with the future gradients as the fire and boiler can take a good while to respond to changes.

We'll be showing the current gradient and some indications on future gradients though, so it should satisfy drivers of all kinds. :)

#45 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:53 PM

That sounds great James. :sweatingbullets:

#46 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:34 PM

View Postatsf37l, on 17 January 2015 - 01:10 PM, said:

I would have to respectfully disagree. Gradient needs to be real time, not future. I am much more concerned with what is under my drivers right now than what might be a mile ahead. If I can't adjust to the grade I'm on I may stall before I get there! :) :bigboss:

Herb, watch the gravity column on one of the f5 screens... it'll tell you what you want to know.

#47 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 18 January 2015 - 01:14 PM

Hi Folks,

I love how you chat about something here and - poof - like magic - it shows up in the sim... X2802 has the real time gradient in the basic F5 HUD... Thank you whomever did it - it's a good start... Herb - you should be good to go... No more paging through the various F5 HUD's to get the current hill you're on - again - this sort of compensates for not having the "seat of your pants" feel for the hill - for the people like me who prefer to be as realistic as practical...
:rotfl:

Regards,
Scott

#48 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:44 PM

Super! Off to the downloads! :rotfl:

#49 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:03 AM

This is just what the Road Foreman of Engines ordered! Perfect! Now I can have the brake screen and the gradient on the same HUD page! Excellent. You guys do good work. :cool3: :rotfl:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users