Elvas Tower: Proposal for driver aids - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Proposal for driver aids Covers most of the in-game GUI Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:22 AM

View Postscottb613, on 16 January 2015 - 04:45 AM, said:

Hi Folks,

RE: Steam Locomotives HUD

Noted the fuel/water added to the steam locomotives HUD...

Thanks so much - a big help...

Just one bit of feedback - is that the steam generation/consumption line was changed as well - as now it only offers a single value - I would suggest one of two courses of action - actually remove the steam generation/consumption completely - as that information wasn't available to the engineer - - - or - - - add the second value back to the steam generation/consumption line as the single value offers no meaning without the other for reference...

Regards,
Scott

Steam generation is a "moving target", goes up and down. Has no counterpart in either MSTS or the real world. Steam usage is also a moving figure and has no counterpart in the real world. However it does exist in MSTS and can be balanced against boiler pressure which has a fixed top limit. In AI fireman mode, if the BP is falling you are using more steam than making, so unless there is a need to keep this trend going it is time to drop the reverser or throttle.

#32 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:09 AM

LOL - yeah - I think I was really leaning towards removing the line completely - then you just have your boiler pressure to watch for trends...
:)

Regards,
Scott

#33 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:18 PM

My suggestion would be to make steam generation/usage appear on the big steam engine sheet of the F5 HUD so it is not lost but not on the "page 1" basic HUD.

I agree on the gradient (elevation) which is now found on the forces page - third Shift-F5 on the HUD. Since we do run different routes almost each day it is hard to obtain that intimate familiarity with a path's gradients and there is no "seat of the pants" feel to guide your use of throttle or brake it would be very handy to have it available.

Currently the elevation table shows the gradient for every car on the list. We really only need it on the driven locomotive and it could fit nicely on another line on the F4 screen - speed and gradient go together nicely and often in handing the air brake page of the F5 it would be nice to know the gradient without having to Shift-F5 to get it and then six Shift-F5's to get back to the brakes. Often the gradient changes while you're Shift-F5-ing!

#34 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:04 PM

The extra information removed from the HUD 'not available to the engineer' is very helpful in designing engine file parameters.
IMHO it should be available somewhere in a display to aid engine file tuners.

I'd rather see more info than less seeing that the HUD is user selectable.
I personally only used it (the +-steam display) as a training aid learning how to run a steamer.
Once I learn a route I don't any form of the HUD's, just trackside signals and signs. Thanks.

best,
vince

#35 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:51 AM

Hi Folks,

Yep - agree with the additional feedback as well - my intent wasn't to remove the steam generation/consumption completely - merely move it off the basic F5 HUD used for typical driving scenario...

Regards,
Scott

#36 User is offline   vanstek 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:36 AM

quoting my message of 04 januari 2014:
over a year ago there was a request to have the MILEPOST shown in the route monitor display....
the question is still open
Wim

#37 User is offline   Matej Pacha 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:07 AM

Hi,
The track grades are here, but you have to view F5/Forces view, where elevation is displayed for every car of the train.
I hope it could be a new driver aid in the future that shows you the track profile. For now, check out the F5 HUD view.
Matej

#38 User is offline   copperpen 

• Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:02 AM

Anything not shown on the first F5 page for a steam locomotive is shown on the Locomotive Information page. It is however a tad cluttered with lots of parameters being monitored.

#39 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:43 AM

Hi Folks,

Yep - I noticed the "F5/Forces" page and it's very helpful but that only shows the real time grades... I think what we need is the grade added to the Track Monitor display - as it is a significant track condition and so we can see/plan for what's coming in the future... It could be as simple as placing the [+] or [-] (up or down) number for the track grade at the 1, 2, and 3 mile point of the Track Monitor - as then we would have some idea of what is coming... No fancy graphics really needed... No rush for any of this - as I'm sure everyone has plenty on their plate - just wanted to be sure my suggestion was clear...

Thanks !!!
:sweatingbullets:

Regards,
Scott

#40 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:58 AM

In the future I would like to see (maybe implement) some ETCS-like track monitor as seen on this picture. Please also note the logarithmic distance scale, which would also be a good feature.

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users