Elvas Tower: Summertime Shadows - Elvas Tower

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Summertime Shadows Rate Topic: -----

#1 Inactive_Dave Mikulec_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

So over the weekend I downloaded the latest release and ran my route for the first time. Wasn't sure what to expect but overall, it all ran without a hitch. The graphics are spectacular! I have 2 different signal types on the route and AI traffic. It all worked. I only noted one small white triangle patch with a missing texture but that was all. Consider me a happy OR supporter.

However, I did note one bit of weirdness, concerning shadows. My test activity is set in summer, at noon. And I noted odd, heavy black patches on the north sides of my train, on buildings, ect, that moved with my camera view or as my train was moving. Are these supposed to be shadows or is this some other bug that needs to be logged. :book2:

Note that I'm running Windows XP SP3, a gig of ram and an nVidia gForce 7950 video card with 256 megs of ram.

-=Dave

#2 User is offline   spud 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:32 AM

Dave,
good luck with getting an answer to the shadows problem. I have been asking about this for months and never have gotten any useable feedback. In fact almost no feedback at all.
I run XP SP3 and NVIDIA 7800 GPU. I believe it is something inherent in the older NVIDIA graphic cards that is causing it but have no clue if it can be fixed or not.

#3 Inactive_Dave Mikulec_*

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:36 AM

Thanks for the info Spud. Perhaps the answer, if it is indeed an issue with older cards like ours, is a software switch in OR that would allow users to disable shadows entirely. They're really not that important to me and I think I could live without them altogether.

-=Dave

#4 User is offline   CrisGer 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

I am very impressed with OR just started myself studying it. amazing in fact.

i have a Nvida 9600 and no black shadows, indeed the lighitng is very good.

I also run XP SP3 so that is a good comparision. I am eager to see some of the routes i am working on in OR too but only so much time in a day and i am deep in development of assets at the moment. Glad your route looks good!

I have some bug querries in about smoke but overall i am very impressed with OR

#5 Inactive_Dave Mikulec_*

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

Will do so later this evening. Thanks!

#6 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:29 AM

View PostDave Mikulec, on 03 April 2013 - 07:36 AM, said:

Thanks for the info Spud. Perhaps the answer, if it is indeed an issue with older cards like ours, is a software switch in OR that would allow users to disable shadows entirely.

Disable dynamic shadows - they are the only shadows Open Rails has. If you have dynamic shadows off, you are not seeing a shadow artefact - it must be something else.

#7 Inactive_Dave Mikulec_*

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

Got in late last night and didn't have time to post my findings. I'll double check my settings and run it again. Thanks James.

#8 User is offline   spud 

• Conductor

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

I have dynamic shadows turned off because or weird patterns on the ground caused by these. The shadows we are seeing have been shown in earlier posts. I copied the URL to the post I did in Dec. I hope this will get it to show as I'm not much on things like this. Posting a screenshot is a major accomplishment for me most of the time.

http://www.elvastowe...532#entry105532

I'll try to get some shots of the shadows with the HUD and log as well.

#9 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

Yeah, this is something non-shadow-related going wrong on these older NVidia cards, I believe. But, unfortunately, it's pretty hard to fix an issue that I can't replicate locally. Logging a bug on the bug tracker and attaching some pics would be useful, if for nothing else other than making sure we don't forget it exists, but probably more usefully in getting together a list of GPUs that it occurs on. At least then we can put it down as a known issue in the documentation.

#10 User is offline   spud 

• Conductor

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

Here is the shot and log of the shadows.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Open Rails 2013-04-04 05-44-58.png

Attached File(s)

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users