• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Superelevation Rate Topic: -----

#41 Inactive_Jefe del CTC_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

Hello!

I've tested today the latest version with this Superelevation, which is amazing really good job, but I have to report that all TGV family, AVE/Euromed and many EMU's which have Jakobs bogies doesn't elevate at all. Also the Talgo Trains from Renfe, which are specially made for tilting, they stay always at the same position.

#42 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

To gpz: as far as I know only last generation tilting trains have countertilting mechanisms for pantos. The catenary is already laid down so as to consider panto displacement due to curve superelevation, so such mechanisms are not needed.
Jefe del CTC: I'm not very sure to have understood your post. What do you mean by "elevate"? TGV families haven't any tilting mechanism at all.
To billpers: I have participated to the development of the first generation of Pendolinos and can tell you that they tilt in curves above a minimum speed and lateral acceleration and they don't bother at all if the curves are within tunnels or not. The transversal section of tilting trains is a bit smaller than that of conventional trains, so that they don't need broader cuved tunnels or to tilt less in such tunnels. Think of the risks if the section of tilting trains would be such that due to a tilting malfunction they would hit the tunnel walls at high speed...

#43 User is offline   Blillpers 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

I'm just talking about the results in OR, at full tilt in a tunnel the train hit the tunnel wall. :oldstry:

#44 User is offline   JorD1 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:07 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 16 March 2013 - 10:34 PM, said:

To gpz: as far as I know only last generation tilting trains have countertilting mechanisms for pantos.

The very first fiat pendolino already had this feature. There is a good image on the web showing the counter tilting on a testing unit.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/46/Fiat_pendolino.jpg
http://it.wikipedia....ice_FIAT_Y_0160

Jordi

#45 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:47 AM

Interesting! All commercial production for years later (ETR 450, ETR 460-465-470-485, Virgin Pendolino, ICE-T) hadn't this mechanism. Only in the last years they are using it again.

A note about superelevation on tunnels: I asked experts here in my country and they wrote me that there aren't restrictions for superelevation on tunnels. Of course the tunnels must be of adequate section, and there is also a trick: in single-track curved tunnels the tunnel axis and the track axis do not coincide to take into account the superelevation effect. For example, in a left curve tunnel the tunnel axis is a bit at the left of the track axis, that is it has a bit smaller radius. So this compensates the additional space that the train needs to its left due to its bending.

#46 Inactive_Jefe del CTC_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:53 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 16 March 2013 - 10:34 PM, said:

Jefe del CTC: I'm not very sure to have understood your post. What do you mean by "elevate"? TGV families haven't any tilting mechanism at all.

I mean the behaviour on a bend in OpenRails. Shared bogie trains and all 2 axes freight cars doesn't superelevate aswell on the simulator..

http://imageshack.us/a/img29/6407/superelevation2.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img839/4407/openrails20130317034858.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img96/5922/252talgo.jpg

Here are few examples.

#47 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

To the ORTS development team: A big thanks and congratulations on making this feature for the simulator. It is just amazing to see the train through the superelevated curves. Sure gives a great look specially when taking screenshots of trains taking the curves!
My only "request" for now its to try to solve this problem with wagons with only 2 axle freight cars/passenger cars or even little diesel units, to make them also "tilt", as Jefe del CTC has pointed out.

Here's a screencapture I've made with a Czech train departing from a station that is built in curve. ;)

Attached Image: Open Rails 2013-03-17 12-47-43_edit.jpg

#48 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

Thanks Jefe, yes, it's true, I too have signaled to the ORTS team that trainsets with two axles and less do not inclinate in curves.

I have uploaded on Youtube a 4 minutes clip about tilting trains and superelevation on ORTS. About audio: I inserted my suggested paths for bug #1095066 in ORTS to get some audio effects that do not work with the standard ORTS version.
https://www.youtube....h?v=03c_iCk1cyw

#49 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

I was just wondering, on how does the simulator know if a car has two or more axles. I tried to make a little experiment with the "numwheels" parameter but no results with that. Passenger cars with bogies of 4 axles work fine even with "numwheels" at the value of 1. I was wondering of where does the simulator gets such a info, how can it distinguish the cars...

#50 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

I'll have to look at some videos again to see how much 'super-elevation' applies to slog-speed narrow gauge.

Cheers Bazza

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users