• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Superelevation Rate Topic: -----

#91 User is offline   _o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

Talent has no age, Markus. I should have known from the 1996 in your nickname you are still a student.

Anyway, it is not the actual programming, but rather the idea and how to implement it that makes original and creative minds stand out. Programming is a skill that can be learned by anybody who is determined and committed.

Young people like you are not yet fixed by their roots and think 'out of the box' more freely.

You do read http://www.tssf.eu/ since it is in German and more focused on Germany and its neighbours?
I am reasonably fluent in German also, but have not posted there yet. It is where Norbert Rieger has his own thread on DB Tracks, MS Tiefbau in German.
Hopefully somebody will pick up on a .stf track profile for superelevated DB Tracks.

(for non-German speakers, Google Translate will provide you with a coarse translation.)

#92 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

View Post_o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha, on 05 April 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

Talent has no age, Markus. I should have known from the 1996 in your nickname you are still a student.

Anyway, it is not the actual programming, but rather the idea and how to implement it that makes original and creative minds stand out. Programming is a skill that can be learned by anybody who is determined and committed.

Young people like you are not yet fixed by their roots and think 'out of the box' more freely.

You do read http://www.tssf.eu/ since it is in German and more focused on Germany and its neighbours?
I am reasonably fluent in German also, but have not posted there yet. It is where Norbert Rieger has his own thread on DB Tracks, MS Tiefbau in German.
Hopefully somebody will pick up on a .stf track profile for superelevated DB Tracks.

(for non-German speakers, Google Translate will provide you with a coarse translation.)

We´ll see, what time will tell - may skills have way to go, and OR too, sowhos knows? ;)
Nope, I actually don´t read much in german/austrian forums, ´cause my real "love" are the aerican RR things (might also be a bit about bigger, stroger, heavier :D ) - That´s also why I hang out at Elvas: You get to talk to people who can help you, and also know about the real american things, which i just know from my PC :/

#93 User is offline   That Genset Foamer 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:14 PM

Apologies for the bump and I'm unsure as to whether this has been stated, but what are the Openrails algorithms for Superelevation transition, and would support of certain algorithms (i.e. the "2/3ds Rule") be possible?

Algorithm: One of the formulas my engineering class was given for a superelevation transition from tangent to curve is L = 150*D*e, where D is the distance from the centerline to the lane edge. In ORTS, D would be the distance from the center line of the track to 1/2 the gauge, and E would be the percent-grade of superelevation - (Level/Grade).

Assuming these variables aren't in use, this could be how transition length is computed.

SPElevation = [Super Elevation Level]/[Gauge]
SPDistance = [Gauge]/ 2
SPTransition = 150 * SPD * SPE

2/3ds Rule: This specifies that 2/3rds of the superelevation must occur on the tangent preceding the curve, and the remaining 1/3 will occur on the subsequent curve. Of course, a whole wealth of issues are introduced in this. It would mean the Superelevation script would need to have a 6m tangent preceding the curve at its lowest setting and 9.5m at the highest setting, or to parse the preceding x meters of track and and apply the transformation.

Placement could be done by detecting the difference between "profiled" track and tangent track, and profiling the preceding / following SPT * (2 / 3) meters. If that distance is on a curve it could sum the transition in degrees into the other curve, but I'm not sure what kind of issues that'd introduce.

#94 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:50 PM

I use multiple decreasing radii 1 degree track sections to simulate a spiral entry and exit on a curve.
i.e. ===straight===,9,8,7,6,5,5,5,5,5,6,7,8,9,===straight===.

Would such an algorithm handle the multiple sections?

regards,
vince

#95 User is offline   That Genset Foamer 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:04 PM

View Postvince, on 30 October 2014 - 01:50 PM, said:

I use multiple decreasing radii 1 degree track sections to simulate a spiral entry and exit on a curve.
i.e. ===straight===,9,8,7,6,5,5,5,5,5,6,7,8,9,===straight===.

Would such an algorithm handle the multiple sections?

regards,
vince

I use something similar, the issue is such a system doesn't exist outside ScaleRail unless someone generates...say...USTracks analogues to all the ScaleRail shapes. According to Tim Booth's rules that would require a Dynatrax license though. Then of course most routes using the Kuju profile do not have this either.

#96 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:37 AM

I doubt developing an new shape would require any additional licenses. Only distributing an existing shape with a specific license would require that license.

#97 User is offline   fakugubana93 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 08 February 2021 - 04:32 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 23 March 2013 - 02:41 AM, said:

Thank you for this valuable info. Using it and your .stf template file I was able to create a (rought by the moment) profile for the NG Bernina route.
Attachment Bernina_profile.jpg

sir, sorry to bother you, I was informed from the open Rails page to contact you to ask how to put the cant on the 1000mm superelevation, look in the forum, but the links I found were down .. I hope you can help, Regards.

This post has been edited by fakugubana93: 08 February 2021 - 04:33 PM

#98 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 09 February 2021 - 08:31 AM

The links in this thread work. Probably you are not allowed to download, because you have too few posts.

#99 User is offline   fakugubana93 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 February 2021 - 12:36 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 09 February 2021 - 08:31 AM, said:

The links in this thread work. Probably you are not allowed to download, because you have too few posts.

Hello, the translator I use is capable, but for the superelevation to work on the metric gauge 1000mm, which is exactly what I have to download? I hope your help!

#100 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 09 February 2021 - 01:33 PM

You have a PM.

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users