Elvas Tower: Black Shadow Issue - Elvas Tower

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Black Shadow Issue Rate Topic: -----

#1 Inactive_mestevet_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:56 AM

I want to split this issue off from the others I mentioned in this other thread to try to get some specific help with it: http://www.elvastowe...silverliner-ii/

Here is the description of the "Black Shadow" issue I'm having.

Symptom in OR: There's an odd effect in OR, that I think might be a "shadow", that is not seen in MSTS (see images). It doesn't look good in the simulation, the sides of certain pieces of rolling stock are turned black (note that it also appears on some of the scenery objects in this view):

http://www.elvastowe...attach_id=28168

Behavior I’m seeking: No dark black patches on my models, similar view shown in MSTS:

http://www.elvastowe...attach_id=28169

Since I posted this originally, I've been doing additional investigation. First, here are the specs of my machine and video card:
NVidia
GeForce 7800 GTX
Driver version: 285.58 (this is the latest driver for this card from the NVidia website, dated Oct 2011)
Core clock: 430 MHz
Memory clock: 1200 MHz (2400 MHz data rate)
Memory interface: 256-bit
Memory: 256 MB
Memory type: GDDR3
Video BIOS version: 5.70.02.11.15
IRQ: 16
Bus: PCI Express x16

this is from dxdiag.exe:
DirectX version 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Computer:
Processor: Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2046MB RAM

What I've tried:
Since I originally posted the issue, I updated the video card driver, with no effect on the issue. I tried several different video settings (stuff like Anisotropic filtering, antialiasing, etc.) with no visible change in the issue.

I also had updated my DirectX drivers prior to installing Open Rails v0.7 earlier this week.

It is affected by time of day (sun angle?):
I noted by using the keyboard + and - keys to change the time of day, that the "black shadow" would move to different surfaces of a model affected by this, apparently in response to changes in the sun angle. I interpret this to mean it IS an issue with a "shadow" effect.

I tried varying cloud cover, and there was no apparent change in the "black shadow" (other than an overall darkening of everything).

It appears at shallow viewing angles:
The "black shadow" appears only at shallow viewing angles with the camera. That is to say that if I rotate the camera to look directly at the side of an affected car (approaching 90 degrees), it appears normal. If the camera is rotated to a shallow angle, like looking down the side of the car/train (like the "default" starting angles for the camera when using them for the first time in a session), the "black shadow" appears. This also gives the appearance that as you get closer to the car, the shadow moves back, like there's a "boundary" angle from the camera where it occurs. Watching a train go by, it's like the cars pass through an open area and then back into the black shadow as they pass the camera.

Shallow camera angle in OR, black shadow covers the markings on the "wooly" car, but not the wool, cuts across markings on the nearest car (and no, it's not the ribs on the car obscuring it):
Attached Image: ORTS v07 G39 odd shadow shallow anglesm.jpg

And a similar shallow angle view in MSTS, note how all the markings are visible on both cars, nothing black obscuring them:
Attached Image: MSTS G39 original anglesm.jpg

Steep camera angle in OR, black shadow is NOT seen - note the black parts showing thru the "wooly" might be some sort of error bias or z bias issue (don't know the correct term) with the surfaces on the model (that's a separate issue I'll have to discuss with someone)
Attached Image: ORTS v07 G39 NO odd shadowsm.jpg

For reference, here are the exact same two cars same consist, same location, steep camera angle in MSTS:
Attached Image: MSTS G39 originalsm.jpg

It appears on some static items too not just rolling stock
I notice that the "black shadow" also seems to affect some static/scenery items. I see it on the side of the rails (the same side as the affected rolling stock). I see it on lots of items.

It is NOT route dependent
The "black shadow" appears on certain pieces of rolling stock NO MATTER WHAT ROUTE OR WHAT LOCATION IN A ROUTE I'm in. It appears to be independent of the route.

It appears on some rolling stock, but not others:
I tried out quite a few different pieces of MSTS rolling stock to see which were affected and which were not. Here was the list of things I tried and which ones do and don't have the "black shadow" issue:

Rolling stock displaying the issue:
BLLW P70 coaches, BLLW N5 Cabin Car (caboose), BLLW H21 hoppers, KLW Comets (all the different versions), Tim Muir's MILW Boxcab, Allen Norton's ATSF 4-8-4 #2925, Chris VanWagoner's B&O 4-6-2 #5300, Ron Pertuit's PRR Decapod, NALW MP54 (all the different versions), ALW CR Gondolas, Steven Hoffmeier's CWR cars, my (Steve Thomas) G38, G39, CWR flat cars, E44, and Silverliner II

Rolling stock that DOES NOT display the issue, even when mixed in consist with the above rolling stock:
CLW PRR AS616 (except some surfaces in the Freight Anim that were created in TSM), NALW AEM7 and ALP44, NALW Amfleet I, Buzz Benz' Amfleet II, Robert Fontaine's P42, 3DTrains DLW F-Unit, BLLW B60 (interesting that their P70 does show it, and this one doesn't), 3DTrains Pacific Surfliner equipment

Tantalizingly, I found ONE model of mine that did not entirely show the "Black Shadow" (only on some surfaces, not the whole side). One of my G39 ore gondolas was done as a "Wooly" (where the PRR tried applying foam insulation to the outside of the car to prevent the ore freezing). Anyway, that model was slightly modified and used a "foam" texture that was significantly different than the black carbody color. The surfaces with that "foam" were the ones that did not display the "Black Shadow" effect (see images above where I showed it). I'm trying to see if anything was 'special' about those surfaces or the texture used on them. So far, I have not uncovered anything significant, making it all the more perplexing...

Anyone care to offer any suggestions?

Anyone care to look at any of the rolling stock I listed as "displaying the issue" on THEIR installation of OR - that would help me determine if this is just me and my computer or if it's a bigger issue.

Steve

#2 User is offline   spud 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:29 AM

Steve,
just to let you know your not alone with these 'shadows' I have had them in OR for at least the last 3 versions. I also use dual 7800 GTX video cards in my system.

#3 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:38 AM

Steve,
You requested that I try to reproduce the effect on my system with my B&O P7 5308 model. I was not able, no matter how I rotated, moved or angled the camera. Even parts in deep shadow were displayed correctly as with this shot where you can see the "painted on" ladder on the darkened part.
Attached Image: Open Rails 2011-12-17 10-19-13.gif

My system
i7 3.2 GHz Overclock
nVidia GTX 470 Ti 1280MB
Driver 270.51 best for 64 bit systems from what I understand, although nVidia just released WHQL 285.62
Win7 64bit

#4 User is offline   dantheman 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:40 AM

My system has the issue as-well. GFX card is a 7400GT, Pentium 4 3.0GHz 2 Core, 1.5Gig ram.

I think it is a Nvidea 7*** card issue.

#5 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:20 PM

Just did a search on nVidia forums. It seems users are getting the best performance with either 178.13 or 94.24 with their 7800 video cards - right thru the latest games. You may want to roll the drivers back from the current release to see if that fixes your issues.

#6 User is offline   spud 

• Conductor

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:03 PM

Chris,
I have had that driver version previously but I'll rollback if I can find it on NVIDIA site and report the results but I think they will be the same. Anything is worth a try though.

#7 Inactive_mestevet_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:04 PM

View Postlongiron, on 17 December 2011 - 12:20 PM, said:

Just did a search on nVidia forums. It seems users are getting the best performance with either 178.13 or 94.24 with their 7800 video cards - right thru the latest games. You may want to roll the drivers back from the current release to see if that fixes your issues.

Chris,

I updated from nVidia driver version 175.16 when I upgraded to 285.58. 175.16 was dated May 2008. However, it was with this earlier driver that I saw the "Black Shadow" issue when I first reported on it. When I pursued the latest version of the nVidia drivers for the card, I also looked to see what prior version were available, and I'm certain that 178.13 wasn't listed (I recall specifically all the driver versions listed amongst the rollback versions available were 2xx.xx). I do still have my installer for 175.16 though, but as I said, the issue appeared with that driver as well. I'd have to go looking to see if I could find the needed files for 178.13, but given that I've seen it with two different driver sets spanning 3 years, I'd be lying if I said I was hopeful...

Yes, it certainly starts sounding like a GEForce 7xxx issue, doesn't it? I wonder if anyone with the 8xxx or similar GEForce cards has seen these issues.

What I'm curious about though, is why only certain models seem to have the issue, while others don't. I'm guessing something in the way the "normals" are defined in these models (which should define how light hits the surface, if I recall correctly) must not be playing nicely with OR and the GEForce 7xxx cards, since other models appear to be fine.

I really wish I could see the differences between two identical parts (identical geometry) using identical textures, but created in different software. That might shed some light on what's going on.

I WAS thinking it was just TSM created parts, originally. But then I found that some of Thomas Pearce's "BLLW" cars (the H21a, P70, and N5) were affected by the "black shadow" and I KNOW that he does not use TSM, I think I recall him saying he was using 3D Canvas when we last traded e-mails.

Steve

{and remembering my manners again, I want to thank "spud" and "dantheman" for their extremely helpful input on this. I was beginning to think I was the only one! - I wonder if there's a card that would cooperate and would work with my 2005 vintage machine...}

#8 User is offline   spud 

• Conductor

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:10 PM

Just checked NVIDIA's site and the driver is not available. Last driver listed is 197.57 dated May 3, 2010 and that was the BETA version. Like Steve I wonder if anyone with 8xxx NVIDIA cards or 6xxx could chime in with what they see.

EDIT:

Googled 173.13 and found it that way.

EDIT No. 2:

Well forget that, downloaded the driver and when I tried to install it a message telling me that my system did not run VISTA and that this driver was intended for only VISTA operating systems. :pardon: :sweatingbullets:

Where is square three?????

OK got the XP driver and will give a report on the results.

#9 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:38 PM

Looking at the ore car with the lighter paint job, it seems to me that the labeling was done with alphas. The darkened areas are the polygons with an alpha texture.

Cheers Bazza

#10 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:41 PM

PS The foam insulation was probably added as an alpha texture to either the original - if alpha was used, or as an alpha'd freight animation shape.

This is only conjecture, of course.

Cheers Bazza

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users