• You cannot reply to this topic

Darn that Esc Key! Help for old MSTS'ers Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:55 AM

James

Thank you for your efforts. It is appreciated. And people have to realize this program is still early development. I am very happy with what I have and am sure others are too. I do very much like the new camera views.

Allen ;)

#22 User is offline   hminky 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:57 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 12 March 2011 - 05:36 AM, said:

It's just the current, basic implementation! I'm getting quite sick of people assuming every feature that exists is finished. THEY ARE NOT!

I commend you for your effort. No one is ever happy in this "Gimmee" world.

Open Rails makes MSTS worth being on a computer. No one gets that Open Rails is not MSTS. Learn something new. It will be better. This wonderful group is resurrecting the dead, MSTS died about 2005. All the fixes ended about then.

I get even sicker of everyone complaining about Open Rails not doing what THEY want. At least someone responds, go complain to Railworks or Trainz, you will never get a response.

Thanks Open Rails Guys
Harold

Edit: I LOVE the new camera views. One of the MULTITUDE of reasons MSTS truly sucked was the cameras.

#23 User is offline   johnfrum 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:50 AM

Steady on there, James. We're all on the same side here ;) .

I know it's hard sometimes to differentiate constructive criticism from carping, especially when you've been busting your hump on a project (I speak from experience, having been there a few times myself) but I'll bet I speak for everybody here when I say that Open Rails is already an outstanding rail simulator -- especially for those of us who have systems that can run it to full advantage.

For every area where ORTS still falls short of MSTS, there are many more where it's already a quantum leap ahead.

But that being said, we're obviously going to continue to bombard you with "observations" -- hopefully phrased in the nature of requests and not demands.

-JF-

#24 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:22 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 12 March 2011 - 05:36 AM, said:

It's just the current, basic implementation! I'm getting quite sick of people assuming every feature that exists is finished. THEY ARE NOT!

I believe experience has shown that train simulator software projects often promise much and delivers far less -- in fact about half of them have delivered nothing at all -- leaving folks a bit more cynical and indeed frightened about their hopes / aspirations being cut off at the knees ONE MORE TIME. ;)

Course, some people are just boors and that too can explain a lot.

#25 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:59 PM

James:

I'm sorry if I came across a little strong in my response to you but your response of

View PostJames Ross, on 11 March 2011 - 12:45 PM, said:

"...There's no support for multiple save files..."
didn't have an "...at this time..." attached to it and it sounded to me as though this was not an option that was to be implemented.

If I was in error in that assumption, I do appologize. Believe me when I tell you that I am duly impressed with the efforts thus far of the OR team. This is already a quality product which functions incredibly well and has some absolutely fantastic features: Uncoupling with the mouse, throwing switches with the mouse (even trailing point switches behind your train! WOW!), making it overcast and starting a snowstorm on the fly, and so many others I have already and still am discovering! 50 years a modeler and seven years a simmer and this is some of the best stuff I've seen. I am impressed.

But remember, this forum is for us to tell you what we think and to ask questions about the functionality we find. I think the posters here are honest enough to do just that so be ready. ;) ;)

#26 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:56 AM

View Postatsf37l, on 12 March 2011 - 10:59 PM, said:

I'm sorry if I came across a little strong in my response to you but your response of didn't have an "...at this time..." attached to it and it sounded to me as though this was not an option that was to be implemented.

Frankly that should be assumed with anything and everything said about OR. I'm sure not typing it out every time I say something! ;)

#27 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:14 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 13 March 2011 - 03:56 AM, said:

Frankly that should be assumed with anything and everything said about OR. I'm sure not typing it out every time I say something! :lol2:

Fair enough and, again, sorry if I came off too strong in my criticism.

#28 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:47 PM

All the work of the Open Rails guys is appreciated, that's for sure. Everyone here is rooting for Open Rails. We WANT it to succeed and be one of the best simulator options out there. Therefore, there WILL be questions from the end users that are very kindly helping to find the errors in whatever version of OR is recently released. They are your friends, not your enemies.

However, James, you need to chill. You had no cause to respond to Herb's reasonable concern/question the way you did.

Frankly, looks to me that you're the one that needs to apologize, not Herb. If you don't want to type whatever it is you don't want to type, then put it in your signature line or something.

IF you're going to be one of the key figures in OR, then expect questions and all sorts of inquiries. (See opening paragraph.) IF you're not ready to handle that aspect of development with grace and tact, then go stealth and work behind the scenes and let those with more tact and thicker skin handle the PR.

Sincerely,

Andre Ming

#29 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:43 AM

All,

Whole lot of hoopla about nuth'n... Just THANKS - to the users that provide valuable feedback and to the talented folks donating their free time to code the next best train simulator ever made... I appreciate all of it... It's all about the trains...
;)

Now get back to work !!!
:)

Regards,
Scott

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users